“Chic hotel centrally located”

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Ranked #16 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed for 2 nights - chic hotel, great reception with attentative staff - lovely bar area. Rooms clean modern with great beds and facilities. Didn't eat at the hotel as visiting Dutch friends - so maybe a little extravagent for a bed only hotel! Ideally situated for all of Amsterdam's attractions with a great aspect looking over one of the main canal's. The property is split into 2 buildings and we stayed in the back part - which is a little trek through a courtyard or underground passage which made you feel slightly detached.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I highly recommend to stay at andaz one of the best i would say in netherlands
The service
Staff
Location
Spa
Are all just up to the standards
All what i needed were available
Their method of check in was through i pad
The welcoming was amazing ti me

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband just had a glorious 5 evenings in Amsterdam, and I am so glad I changed our hotel at the last minute to stay here (after researching all the top hotels in Amsterdam). We loved the decor: funky and fun, with a nod to the history of Amsterdam. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful - which we welcomed as we navigated our first trip in AMS. The room was weird but we are not modest: couples who are may not like the sink in the main room. There is a curtain, but you are in the main room (there is a separate room with a door for the toilet). There is a huge walk-in closet that fits all your luggage, clothing, etc, so the room is not cluttered. Also: the room was perfectly soundproofed: the windows must be double glazed because I am a light sleeper and I didn't hear a thing (plus the courtyard is so quiet). I didn't even hear the other rooms' doors being slammed at 7am when people leave to get their flights home, like I usually do! We had amazingly uninterrupted sleep, which is something I don't always get when travelling. The staff sent us gorgeous roses and a tin of stroupwaffels for our anniversary - what a treat.
The best part of this hotel is the location. The Jordaan is the most charming and fashionable neighborhood in AMS: there are shops all along the 'Nine Streets', you are close to everything (alhtough AMS is so small, no matter where you are you are close to everything!). But: some of the city center hotels are in a sort-of seedy location. The Andaz is in an amazing location, totally quiet, and with luxurious environment. The bed is king size, with upscale linens, and the shower is a huge walk-in style with the best fixtures and design. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.
PS- we were there when it was cool out: around 60-70F, so we did not experience the problems with the AC like I just read about - I hope they fix this problem so we can return in warm weather =)

Room Tip: We chose a room facing the lovely courtyard (not on the canal, which I was told can be noisy) and it...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gothamfoodie
Reviewed 20 June 2013

A mixed review, the bad unfortunately outweighs the good.
I will start with the positives--great staff, friendly, attentive, helpful. The restaurant exceded expectations, excellent food and even better service.Bar was also good.Excellent location.
The negatives== Our room did not seem to be cooling off properly several hours after checkin. upon going out for dinner we informed the front desk of the problem. Upon returning, the thermostat was registering 83F, despite being set on 65 for hours. We again called the front desk , and were told that there was nothing they could do except changing rooms, however the room would be smaller. After a long day of travel from Budapest, the last thing we wanted to do was to repack our suitcases and move everything but we felt we had no choice. We moved from the second to the fifth floor in the back courtyard building. The room was noticeably smaller, hard to even find a place for the second suitcase. This room was also very hot, but the AC had not been on , so we trusted the hotel personel that it would cool off. Although perhaps a little better, this also was inadequate. The only saving grace was this room had a balcony with 2 functioning doors, rather than tilting windows.We left both doors open all night to help with the cooling. Was disappointed also that there was no real acknowledgement of our inconvience. Most hotels would have comped the room, or at least given drinks or dinner, or at the very least a follow up be the manager concerning a problem with the room that forced a repack and change at midnight.
Neutral--modern and quirky decor, not our style, but interesting. Not a great design with shower in room unless everyone always arises at the same time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank james0614
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Avoid at all costs if weather is warm. The hotel has horribly inadequate AC. My room is 77 F at 8 PM and the AC has been on all day, blinds closed, lights off. They could and should do better but they cheaped out on the AC. A worker told me that they have dozens of complaints when the weather is warm. I stayed at a 200 year old hotel in Amsterdam last week and they cooled the rooms just fine. Shame on Hyatt. Charming hotel, great location, gracious staff but its a disaster thermally.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank 377
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I could not have asked for a better place to end our two weeks in Europe. The newly-opened Andaz is an absolute gem in Amsterdam. The location is perfectly situated between the city center and Vondelpark/Museumplein on a quiet and charming section of the canal on Prinsengracht. The decor is elegant and well appointed, the are exquisite, and the service is impeccable.

While the entire staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, Manuel set the standard. He gave two recommendations for local restaurants that were away from tourists, and absolutely astounding.

What the hotel lacks in exterior architectural charm, it more than makes up for in comfort, luxury, and service.

Would stay each time we return to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Canal view a MUST.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam V
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I am a really big fan of the Andaz Brand. This hotel is what I have come to expect from an Andaz. The unique designs and the amazing staff. Some may find the fish creepy, but I find it interesting. I docked a star for so-so breakfast buffet. While the location is good, it is still not the greatest for tourists on a shorter stay. I will definitely return here on future visits!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple