“Great location and hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht

Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Ranked #13 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location and hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is something different in a good location in Amsterdam. We were well looked after and enjoyed the unusual design and generous size of the rooms. Breakfast included was excellent and one couldn't ask for more. Staff were very helpful and all requests were seen to at incredible speed and efficiency.

We had requested an extra bed in our room for our son which wasn't there when we got to our room. This was rectified within 10 minutes. The only negative was that our room wasn't serviced one day on the weekend and we had to request them to do this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DHH50

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

What a great hotel! Andaz is my new favorite hotel chain.This hotel is the OPPOSITE of the mundane, tired hotel. Decor is super-stylish, imaginative, elegant, sophisticated but still very functional. Staff was slick and gorgeous but also (and more importantly) warm, welcoming and efficient. Our fifth floor suite was a knockout. Everywhere you look throughout this hotel there is something interesting to intrigue your eye. The garden is lovely. The lobby-level restaurant is beautiful and the food is excellent. And, my FAVORITE aspect of all Andaz hotels: the minibar contents are FREE (not including alcohol) and it is restocked daily. This is one of the best overall hotel experiences I have ever had. I cannot think of a single gripe or correction.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a suite - they are over the top.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 493Ron
Niceville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We recently spent two nights at the centrally located Andaz Amsterdam and all I can say is 'wow.' Unlike other hotels, where you are checked in from behind a counter, here guests are welcomed at high tables via iPads by the relaxed, yet very professional staff. After admiring the jaw-droppingly beautiful architecture (designer Marcel Wanders has really outdone himself with his eclectic mix of old Amsterdam and futuristic design), we relaxed in the very comfortable, yet equally sumptuous rooms with great beds. I also loved the "shower room" - a small room by itself with a giant shower head and one way mirror. As for the decor, it was again a perfect blend of the city's history with state-of-the-art touches (restroom had wall paper resembling old Delft tiles, main room sported a pair yellow wooden clogs on the wall) along with data port, iPod dock and a minibar stocked with complimentary items (except alcoholic beverages).
Later we relaxed in one of the lounges with complimentary wine, coffee and delicious cookies. One of the staff told us that the hotel's mission is to create a homey atmosphere away from home and in that they have certainly succeeded, although my home is a lot less exciting than the hip, luxurious Andaz!
In short: It is THE hotel to stay in Amsterdam!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizzyBennett12
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have stayed in many hotels, many Hyatts especially as a Gold Passport member, but this has to be one of the best I have experienced.

I booked two nights using Gold Passport points on a recent European trip and wish I had stayed longer.

From the moment you enter the Marcel Wanders designed hotel, you enter another world. It is one of the most thoughtfully decorated and designed hotels I have stayed in.

The lobby and adjacent sitting areas is very social - and each night the free wine and snacks between 5 and 8pm for guests and it turns into a very happy place. I met so many new and interesting people during this "happy hour".

As is the Andaz tradition, the person who checks you in takes care of you throughout your stay and I couldn't fault the warm service from Manuel, who helped me plan all aspects of my stay. There was even a lovely welcome gift in my room of local cheese and meats - very thoughtful and well researched.

The hotel itself is a work of art. Check out the mural on the wall as you go up the elevator - literally taking you from hell to heaven!

I had a larger room on an upper floor with a view of the canal. Apparently the garden view rooms are also sought after for the quiet, but I found my room very peaceful.

The rooms are compact, with the bed as the focal point. Funky murals and art adorns the walls and there is even a selection of books to read. Unusually, the bathroom vanity is in the room itself and is actually a fantastic use of space. The shower, all sleek black tiles, is spacious and integrates form and function.

Once you get over the idea of having your bathroom in the room, you will love it. For a small space, there is also a semi walk in wardrobe, which was a welcome change to the usual small spaces.

A work desk as well as a small sitting area with a Dr Evil style high back swivel chair completes the room.

Located on one of the most sought after canals, the location is fantastic. you are never more than a walk or a short tram ride from the museums and the hotel is on the edge of the Nine Streets area which is packed with cafes and restaurants as well as funky shops. If needed, the hotel has bikes you can borrow and the staff seem to truly love the hotel and the city.

The bar area is chilled out and has a selection of interesting cocktails as well as bar food - try the bittenballen - you will be hooked! the restaurant I only tried for breakfast but served a small but delicious range of egg and other breakfast favorites.

While the hotel was full, I never felt overwhelmed and the service never rushed. The vibe is so relaxed I even saw the GM checking in guests.

This type of design hotel could easily be pretentious. Andaz Amsterdam is far from it. One of the best hotels I have stayed in hands down - I am already planning my next stay.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, as for a garden view, but the canal view is just gorgeous!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rachelannmorris
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

First, it's located on one of the best streets in Amsterdam. It is just down a few blocks from Anne Frank's Huis. Walking distance to the most popular attractions. We were greeted at the door, shown to a lush, leather sofa, served champagne, and had a marvelously easy check-in via ipad. Rhianna was wonderful! She gave us a city map and inquired about our plans while in the city and made spot-on recommendations. We went to all the restaurants that she suggested.The décor is amazing. Our room was very quiet- never heard anyone next door or in the hallway and the hotel was full. Mini bar in the room is complimentary except for alcohol. Bed was super comfy. We had breakfast in the hotel all three days that we were there. Food was delicious. Service was impeccable. This was our first time to Amsterdam and we have travelled the world- this was one of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in. Highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rudypup
GMAndazAmsterdam, General Manager at Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Rudypup,
Thank you for choosing Andaz Amsterdam as your hotel while traveling to Amsterdam.
We also want to thank you for the great feedback. We make sure to share your comments with Rhianne and the team.
Hope to see you soon again.
Toni Hinterstoisser
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We just spent three lovely nights at the Andaz Prinzengracht, and cannot say enough wonderful things about it.

Location: We'd never been to Amsterdam so we were flying blind when we picked this hotel. Boy, did we luck out. Prinzengracht is beautiful, convenient, and far less crowded than other areas of the city in August. Our room overlooked the canal, which was just beautiful.

Accommodations: Spacious room, comfortable bed, and all the nice extras that made Andaz such a great choice--a swank foldable tub for our infant, free drinks and snacks, terrific product. I've seen some complaints about the unconventional layout of the rooms--sink and vanity in the middle of the room, rather than in their own separate bathroom. This did not bother us at all.

Staff: The staff were lovely in every way--as helpful and knowledgeable as they were beautiful. We were extremely impressed with everyone we met--so nice and so professional.

Having just returned from a long trip, I find myself wishing I could change some of my five-star reviews of other hotels to four-star reviews, in recognition of what a truly special place the Andaz is--truly deserving of the highest rating. We will certainly return soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear USTraveler91,
We were delighted by your recent review about your stay at our hotel. Thank you for choosing Andaz Amsterdam. The team and I have truly enjoyed reading your feedback. Please rest assured we will do our utmost to continue in the same path.
We would be happy to welcome you back in the future.
Toni Hinterstoisser
General Manager - Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Andaz Amsterdam for two nights on my way to Lusaka, Zambia. Because I am partial to Hyatt properties, I decided to check it out based on numerous recommendations from friends. You can literally walk to ever attraction from the location. However, if might find it difficult to go anywhere else. This is one of the mose unique hotels I've stayed from the rooms, to the decor to the impeccible staff. It is my understanding that Andaz hotels use local designers and architects to "capture" the city through their own interpretation. The hotel had a fresha and modern feeling, yet decadent and relaxing at the same time. As I have mentioned in other reviews, I enjoy handging at bars for relaxation as a way to get a way from it all for a while. This lobby bar was modern and hip and we were able to meet many people from around the world. The staff was friendly and unpretentious and accomodated our every need without a blink. The pictures on the hotel website are probably the best way to capture the essence. They may look strange, but trust me the decor works...Especially, for an old European city.

Room Tip: A "lobby" view is so unique. You will have a view of giant glass bells hanging from the h...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business