“Great hotel, shame about the restaurant”

Sir Albert Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #32 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
St Albans, near London
“Great hotel, shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We've just come back from a weekend in Amsterdam and stayed at the Sir Albert for the first time. We received a lovely welcome from the staff upon arrival, were checked-in really quickly and offered two complementary glasses of prosecco (which we enjoyed in the very relaxing lounge). We’d booked a Deluxe Double which was well-designed, making the room seem larger than it was. Super comfy beds, a brilliant shower (you’ll want to stay in there for as long as possible) and a very quiet setting (whilst we were on the first floor we faced onto a courtyard). However, there were some not so perfect aspects. As others have pointed out the toilet and shower are effectively in the room, so if you’re a couple on your first weekend away this might be less than ideal, and the sound quality on the TV was a bit hit and miss.

The bar on the ground floor was great (good music & excellent cocktails) but the restaurant itself was poor. We had lunch on our first day, and after the main course dishes had been collected service really dropped off. We became invisible and struggled to get a copy of the menu again. Once we did have it (following a change in service) we had the same problem again when trying to place our order, and in the end gave up. We experienced similar issues at breakfast where we were seated and then ignored, having to get the breakfast menu ourselves from another table. The food wasn't particularly good either (the baked beans were missing from my ‘Full English’ and my partner’s Eggs Benedict looked dry and unappetising).

It was as if the two parts of the hotel were run as separate businesses – almost a split personality. We’ll definitely be back, but will certainly be eating elsewhere.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Rooms are a good size.
2 Thank IdyllicTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a family with two rooms and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Very well located, this boutique hotel has it all. Nice staff, excellent and stylish rooms and above all a great restaurant on the ground floor (independently run). Truly nice experience in a nice and cosy atmosphere. Highly recommendable!

Stayed November 2013
California
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was in Europe on business and spending the weekend in Amsterdam. I needed a hotel that would be nice and comfortable, but not too expensive since my company would be paying. The weekend I was there was also when the Amsterdam Marathon and another large dance conference was taking place so most of the hotels were booked in the city. After a lot of searching I came across the Sir Albert Hotel. The price looked good and location, while not in the city center, looked close enough to the sites that I thought I would give it a shot. I made the right call! The hotel ended up being very nice. The service was first class...the rooms were interesting (modern designs) and comfortable...and the location ended up being perfect since it was close to the museum area. I would definitely come back and strongly recommend this hotel.

Only downside was the restaurant in the hotel. I tried to eat dinner there, but the staff was very unfriendly and was reluctant to even allow me to sit at the bar (they were crowded).

Room Tip: I was given a ground floor room which looks right out on the street (I kept my curtains closed). Ma...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had spent many hours on the internet looking at reviews of hotels in Amsterdam, just wanting to get the right one. I found Sir Albert by chance and what a gem! It was fantastic,so easy to get to just hop on the 16 tram and get of at stop 6 and a 2 min walk. We were welcomed with a glass of prosecco and showed to our room. It was very comfortable and the bedding the best I have slept in. The area around is great lots of small restaurants and a cafe or two. It is only a 10 min walk to all the museums and shops. If you want to head to the centre another 10/15min walk but there is so much around the hotel we really only visited Dam square once.
If you are looking for some advice,book Sir Albert and hopefully you will have a fantastic stay in Amsterdam as we did.

4 Thank Nicola C
London, UK
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Sir Albert is by far the best hotel I've stayed at in Amsterdam. I was there for two nights in October. The hotel is in De Pijp, just on the edge of the Museum district and out of the craziness of the centre, and it is a great location to explore one of the "hippest" neighbourhoods in the city. Rooms are minimalist, stylish, airy and have some great finishing touches - Nespresso machine, comfy bed, and a personal message from Sir Albert! Cosy lounge, free wifi and very helpful staff. Plus an excellent restaurant on the ground floor - Izakaya.

1 Thank andih
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Initially I booked this hotel for the wrong weekend (complete mistake on my behalf) however the hotel was fully booked for the weekend I actually had intended to travel. I had booked through Travel Republic who were of very little help in trying to change the booking (I realised I made the mistake after booking at 10pm and called first thing the next morning to be told that it was non-refundable etc). Thankfully Lea "the lady" at the hotel was able to change our room (we upgraded, paid a fee and were happy to do so) so thank you Lea for your assistance as it was very frustrating dealing with Travel Republic.

The hotel itself is beautiful, very well designed with minimalist interior, great shower, comfortable beds, Ipod docks, WiFi, TV etc. The Staff were very professional and very friendly, thanks also to Arthuro for his restaurant suggestions (Indonesian food being his speciality).

The location of this hotel in the Pijp is perfect, not to far from the Museums (check out the new Rijksmuseum), Heiniken Brewery, The market on a saturday is worth checking out if you fancy some street food, but it is a real market (i.e. washing powder/cheeses/meats/bread). The area itself is pretty cool (a bit hipstery), lots of design shops, nice little bars (havanas / Kingfisher bar) and restaurants. Also Little Collin (cafe) is a great spot for breakfast. It is a nice stroll from this area into the red light district (about 20/25 mins). There is also a nice bar/cafe on the corner (looking at the canal) directly opposite the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again when returning to Amsterdam.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We loved staying in the funky "Pijp" neighbourhood--great place to cap off a day of exploring. We had our pick of traditional and international bistros (Moroccan, Indonesian, Surinamese for starters) and then the plethora of great drinking holes on nearby Eerste van der Helststraat (off of the legendary market street of Albert Cuypmarkt. The room was stylish and very comfortable and quiet (deluxe King) with nice touches (lots of counter space in the bathroom, selection of books in the room.) Easy to downtown by tram (or a 20-minute walk past scenic canals) I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for cool convenience. And, no tourist hordes invade the area at night. Very welcoming staff.