“ajax”

Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #136 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very nice hotel ! Beautiful room great shower in het middle of the room, large comfortable bed ! Internet available ! Great view ! Close to the city close to ajax ! Breakfast was super. 1 disadvantage: you have to pay to park your car

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,068)

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Very modern funky hotel. Great concept and great views. I had the same problem as previous contributors with leaking shower door but a towel at the sliding door stopped that. Its a pity the coffee maker had two used bags still in it, this really put me off making coffee as i had no idea how long they had been there.

Now to put right differing views on distance from Amsterdam Centre. A fifteen minute walk up a completely straight road takes you to Holendrecht train station. From here it costs 4 euros and takes 21 minutes to Amsterdam central station. For me this is too far as my wife has knee problems so this should be remembered when planning a stay. It is nowhere near the city centre. Public transport is terrific though.

Hotel had a great rooftop smoking area and wide range of wines at the beautiful bar. Good all round budget hotel of which i would highly recommend but be aware of the distance away from the centre.

On settling my account the hotel had added 10 Euros for shuttle bus for two from hotel to Holendrect which we never used,??.

Lastly Amsterdam is so very expensive, take plenty money. eg. 9 euros a pint, 11 euros a meal etc.

I preferred our day trip to Rotterdam, well worth it.

Room Tip: High level rooms have terrific views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dojolew
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We have just arrived back from a four night stay in the fletcher hotel. First impressions, it's a very lovely building , definitely value for money. The rooms are beautiful, really modern and a novelty to come on holiday to. We had lots of plans for our stay so had to travel around quite a bit. On one occasion planned to use the 'free' shuttle bus to the tram station as we were under the impression from other reviews that it was a fair distance from the hotel. We were disappointed to here that the shuttle bus is 5 euro per person and needs to be requested 2 hours prior to leaving. So we walked and to our surprise we go there in no time, very short distance and an enjoyable walk in the sunshine. After that we had no trouble getting about and the location was not such an issue any more. In regards to food, I feel there should be more advertising within the rooms or just menus of the coffee bar, upstairs bar and restaurant within the hotel rooms as we didn't discover the coffee bar until the day before we left and had no idea they served snacks such as bagels for a reasonable price. If we had known our options we would have spent a lot more money there rather than resorting to eating from the fast food places across the road. The rooftop lounge area for smokers was excellent we spent a lot of time up there as it was all day sunshine and hardly any wind as its sheltered by the glass. Very relaxing. On one occasion there was a massive thunder storm, lots of lightening. we went up to the rooftop before bed and as we were stood there lightening struck the one massive metal pole, it went black and sizzled in the rain. then about 5 minutes later the pole on the other side got struck by lightening and started sizzling. we soon decided it would be safer to sit downstairs during the storm!!
We ordered food from the bar area on two occasions and unfortunately on both occasions our orders came out wrong and on the second occasion it took nearly 40 minutes for 3 bagels to be made and 2 out of 3 were not what we ordered. However when it was out right, the food was lovely and reasonably priced.
One night sat in our room I head quite a loud noise of water running from somewhere. Looked in the bathroom but it sounded like someone above was having a shower. But it went on for a long time so not too sure what that was?
Every night we had a lovely sleep blackout curtains and silence apart from on one occasion where we could hear the base of some loud music coming through the walls and floor.
Overall we had a great trip, the hotel was worth the money we paid for it and would stay there again quite happily.
I must say through rating this hotel it asked me what the pool and spa was like. Not sure if this is applicable to this hotel as I was not aware it had a swimming pool and spa so if it has got these things, very poorly advertised but I'm pretty sure this hotel doesn't have a hotel or spa?

2  Thank Anonymous2726
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here two nights during our last min. trip to Amsterdam. The decor was fun and completely modern unlike anything I was used to.The shower, located in the center of the room was a fun addition. We had a great view from our room and felt like we were staying at a top notch hotel at a budget hotel price. My boyfriend was really excited about the coffee machine which brewed individual servings of good European coffee. The staff was friendly and English speaking.

The train is about a 10 - 15 min straight walk down a bike path from the hotel. The walk is safe, quiet and pleasant. The ride into central Amsterdam is about 20 - 30 min (including wait time) so from beginning to end you are looking at about 45 min into the city each way. For us , the advantage of a clean friendly modern hotel at a great price was worth the added distance. The only draw back was, in order to find a train home, it was necessary to leave the city center a little before midnight as you must take bus 59 to Amstel station where you catch train 59 that drops you off at Holendrecht Station.

We had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel. The only reason I didn't rate it excellent is that the rooms are slightly lacking in "privacy" The bathroom portion though enclosed with a door, is not sealed or very private. My boyfriend and I were joking that if someone ended up with a bit of a stomach bug, the lack of privacy could kill the romance. ;)

1  Thank hollyv13
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Granted this Hotel looks nice, the design may not be everyone's cup of tea but that is normal. However the Hotel is rather dysfunctional: the rooms do not have real Air Condition, the room temp is set at 18, the AC acommplishes 25 which is simply too warm with 32 outside. Not funny is a ceiling that has water dripping down. I told the receptionist and sure enough they will take care of it. Well, it was still dripping the next night (in fact other posts report the same issue). One of colleagues who also stayed at the Hotel complained about a moldy smell in her room. Well I know now where it comes from. Since there are only two elevators it has people waiting a couple of minutes every morning. Nice lookin but not functioning very well.

Room Tip: don't go there when it is hot outside
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights for a training course recently and had an excellent stay. The room was extremely clean and tidy and was like this everyday I came back from my course.

There isn't much nearby the hotel apart from a few fast food outlets and furniture shops. The tube/train station is about a 10-15min walk away (it took around 20mins to get to the center) and there the usual number of cycle paths nearby.

I would definitely recommend visiting the hotel bar on the 17th floor at least once on your stay for the great views you get of the surrounding area (Amsterdam countryside on one side and you can spot the Amsterdam arena on the other side).

Only disappointment I had was a fault of my own, I didn't investigate the hotel shuttle service offered and paid 50 euros for a taxi from the airport to the hotel compared to 16.50 euros I paid using the shuttle service on my return from the airport.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank thebass101
Fletcher H, General Manager at Fletcher Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive comments about our hotel with us.
We are really satisfied to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.
Right now we are working on different cycling route's to amsterdam, and we provide
free shuttle service to the closest station (in 10 minutes you are in the city center of amsterdam).

Regards,

Trudy vd Hulst

Reviewed 22 June 2013

First of all I would like to say that I was simply amazed how prominent the hotel was to see coming on the A2 in the direction to Amsterdam. I think my friends and I saw the hotel 12km away. I have stayed at many hotels in my day. The rooms and facilities were very modern in nature. And for the smokers, the smoking area is a nicely situated lounge area with sofas, chairs, and tables in the top of the roof of the hotel!No more going outside of the property. That makes the entire situation convenient. The view on top of the hotel is too amazing for words. The rooms were clean and had very big windows.All showers are glass cylinders located in the center of the room. They are optional rain showers too. And the service desk was simply the best. There is a short, younger guy who tended to all of our needs. I couldn't believe all of the hospitality. If you want a clean hotel. One that is not overpriced like the very old used up ones in the city. The Fletcher is the one to be at. It is only 10 kilometers from the city center!

Room Tip: The higher floors have surely nicer views of the city and highway.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnsbachGlobetrotter

i really want to thank you for the positive feedback about our hotel.
We shared the given comment about my college in the reception with the rest of the team.
As a team we are really happy to hear the positive comments.
Especially because we just opened up for 6 months.
Hope to see you another time in our hotel.

Regards,