“The hotel is OK, the Service is Awful” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Espresso

Hotel Espresso
Ranked #104 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Duisburg, Germany
“The hotel is OK, the Service is Awful”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at the Espresso for 1 night in the end of February. In advance of our stay, about 2 days before, I emailed the hotel to ask if there were any stores in the area where I could pick up a bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate my husband's birthday. No answer to date. I am hoping to have an answer in time for next year's celebration. There is a nice little market near the Espresso that I found after arrival, so problem solved. On arrival to the Espresso, the front desk employee was on the telephone. No worries, we could wait. After literally 30 minutes of waiting (I admit I was not happy at this point) another employee arrived to check us in. I have never waited that long for check in and can't imagine what call could be so difficult it would take 30 minutes to handle and leave the person standing before them (who pre-paid a room) so long. The room itself was very small, but this is normal in Europe. The Internet, while free, is very slow. It took 1 and 1/2 hours to download a map app of Amsterdam (at home it would have taken 30 seconds). We did not have the breakfast as at 12 Euros it is way overpriced. If you leave the hotel, turn right and walk over to the square on the left side, you can have a large English Breakfast for far less. All in all, I would not recommend the Hotel Espresso. The staff is unresponsive and uncaring and the facilities are overpriced for what you get. I'll let you know if I ever get an answer to my email :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scheiner2008
Alex C, Manager at Hotel Espresso, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear guest, I was shocked by your review and immediately find out what happened. Firstly, I found an email to you in the emailfolder concept. The email was half written. One of my staff started with the answer but was disturbed and forgot to finish. I apologise for this. When you arrived another lady of my staff was on the phone. She could remember you clearly and confirmed that you had to wait longer than normal but not as long as you mentioned. Anyway, the result is that you waited too long for checking in. I will instruct my staff to cope with this in a better way in the future. I thank you for your review and I will send you a direct email with an offer to compensate for this unpleasant experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews we decide to book this hotel for our city break to Amsterdam and we were very happy with our choice. The location is good, you can walk to everywhere. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. The breakfast was good as well.
For me the only downside is the mattress being to soft, for two nights is ok, but for more I wouldn't sleep there. But I believe that can be personal. I would recommend this hotel.

gibraltar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Fantastic little hotel. It's in a good location, just five minutes from Leidesplain. The rooms are clean and contain everything you need. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend for anyone visiting Amsterdam.

1 Thank roscoruff
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

I will definitely stay in this hotel again and have recommend it to families and friends or anyone looking for a place to stay in amsterdam. Value for money. I could not find anything wrong. Very clean,cosy and comfortable. A home away from home.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I stayed here recently with three other friends and we slept in the room that sleeps four people. We had a very enjoyable stay and the hotel was very easy to get to. Would definately recommend taking a bus from the airport as it was four euros and appeared by far the cheapest way to get to the city. We did not have the breakfast as it did appear abit overpriced so I cannot comment on the food.
The staff are extremely helpful and it is never too much trouble for them to assist you in directions/recommendations. The room and bathroom was clean. Beds were very comfortable. Hotel itself was nice and quiet, well all slept through with no noise distrubing us.
We used the bikes nearby which were a great way to see the city and the thai rest. closeby is amazing. A very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Be aware - the room we had that slept four people did not have a window. Good heating/cooling contro...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Stayed at Hotel Espresso for 3 nights over my birthday. On arrival we were told that the hotel didn't have our booking but the receptionist quickly found us a room.
Room we had was modern, cosy and very clean. Maid service everyday and breakfast was more than adequate. Buffett style with plenty of choice and replenished quickly.
Location is great, 5 minute walk into town so close enough but nowhere near the nightlife. Would definitely stay here again if we did return to Amsterdam.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Good place to stay in Amsterdam. Just 300 meters from the Leidseplein, were all the bars are.

Nice renovated modern hotel with all the comfort you need. Good breakfast, clean bathroom. Friendly staff.

Beds are a bit soft but that is of course personal for everyone. Sheets are new and clean.

I stayed with my wife after a party eith some friends. A couple of nice restaurants are close by like Momo, the hippest place to be (make reservation).

• Stayed January 2013