Hotel Espresso
US$137
US$448
US$423
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$118
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$464
US$354
  • Room Service
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$186
  • Pool
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$185
NH Hotels
US$366
US$240
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$116
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfree coffee and teatram stopfree wifiwalking distanceindonesian restaurantminute walkrooms are smallrecommend this hotellocation is greatairport busvending machinecentral stationcity centretriple roomnice staycleaning staffvan gogh museum
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

Located about 6-7 min walking from Leidseplein is a good option for those who want to avoid the busy centre- not our case! Lovely new clean hotel with good size rooms for Amsterdam. Easy access for prams and disabled, we stayed at ground floor but we noticed there is a lift. We stayed 4 days and they only came to clean once after me asking so for two days.. They never changed the bedding or the towels and there are no windows in the rooms- at least in our room. The problem with the double beds we had is that they are in fact two single beds together so the mattresses kept pulling apart but they are soft and comfy and so are the pillows. Other than that the breakfast is good with a good selection and the staff is very polite and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend in March 2013. I was looking for a comfortable hotel that was not too expensive and as close to the historic city centre as possible.

The Espresso is a little outside the main historic canal region but this was no problem since it was only a 15 minute walk into the town or better yet jump on the tram that stops just 100 yards from the hotel.

This hotel was new in late 2012 and so only 6 months old when I visited. What it looses by being out of the very centre it makes up for being so well fitted out. It was clear that a lot of effort, expense and thought had been given to the communal areas and the bedrooms. Everything from wallpaper, carpets, fabrics, furniture, and general design is more 4 star than 3. So often you find small hotels have an impressive reception and then find room that are distinctly shabby, not the hotel Espresso!

The hotel location is on a main street. Our room 003 was set back a little way and we found noise not to be a problem. There are several nearby by restaurants and shops.

To reach the hotel from Schiphol airport take the 197 bus to Leidseplain (€4 at time of writing). The hotel is a 5 minute walk. Also before leaving airport go to Tourist Information and ask about bus/tram passes. They are available for unlimited journeys for fixed length of time 24h, 48h, 72h etc.) As well as being good value they make travelling around Amsterdam very convenient.

Tram line 1 stops 100 yards from the hotel and takes you into town.

Hotel staff were always very friendly, engaging and attentive.

My only niggles are (I stayed in room 003)

- Mattresses whilst good quality are of the foam type and I found them not so good for my back
- Shower head bracket was loose so would not stay up. (But the shower and bathroom are otherwise excellent)
- Hotel website http://www.hotelespresso.nl could usefuly contain travel information such as I have included above!

In short could not recommend this hotel more highly.

Tip: There are lots of places on the well trodden Amsterdam tourist trail, but if you have an interest in modern architecture take a trip out to java-eiland (north Amsterdam) to see the amazingly funky inspiring redeveloped dock land area (you can get there by riding tram 10 to the end of the line (Azartplein)

Room Tip: Rooms at front facing street may be a bit noisier
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed at the Espresso for 1 night in the end of February. In advance of our stay, about 2 days before, I emailed the hotel to ask if there were any stores in the area where I could pick up a bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate my husband's birthday. No answer to date. I am hoping to have an answer in time for next year's celebration. There is a nice little market near the Espresso that I found after arrival, so problem solved. On arrival to the Espresso, the front desk employee was on the telephone. No worries, we could wait. After literally 30 minutes of waiting (I admit I was not happy at this point) another employee arrived to check us in. I have never waited that long for check in and can't imagine what call could be so difficult it would take 30 minutes to handle and leave the person standing before them (who pre-paid a room) so long. The room itself was very small, but this is normal in Europe. The Internet, while free, is very slow. It took 1 and 1/2 hours to download a map app of Amsterdam (at home it would have taken 30 seconds). We did not have the breakfast as at 12 Euros it is way overpriced. If you leave the hotel, turn right and walk over to the square on the left side, you can have a large English Breakfast for far less. All in all, I would not recommend the Hotel Espresso. The staff is unresponsive and uncaring and the facilities are overpriced for what you get. I'll let you know if I ever get an answer to my email :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scheiner2008
Alex C, Manager at Hotel Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear guest, I was shocked by your review and immediately find out what happened. Firstly, I found an email to you in the emailfolder concept. The email was half written. One of my staff started with the answer but was disturbed and forgot to finish. I apologise for this. When you arrived another lady of my staff was on the phone. She could remember you clearly and confirmed that you had to wait longer than normal but not as long as you mentioned. Anyway, the result is that you waited too long for checking in. I will instruct my staff to cope with this in a better way in the future. I thank you for your review and I will send you a direct email with an offer to compensate for this unpleasant experience.

Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews we decide to book this hotel for our city break to Amsterdam and we were very happy with our choice. The location is good, you can walk to everywhere. The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly. The breakfast was good as well.
For me the only downside is the mattress being to soft, for two nights is ok, but for more I wouldn't sleep there. But I believe that can be personal. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Fantastic little hotel. It's in a good location, just five minutes from Leidesplain. The rooms are clean and contain everything you need. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend for anyone visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed: February 2013