“An absolute must.”

Dorchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An absolute must.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited Amsterdam with the girlfriend for 4 days this week and wanted to sort something a little special for our last night. Couldn't have picked a better place. I wanted to keep it a surprise as I knew it would be the sort of place she would love, so the whole text message booking thing worked perfectly!

I text when I woke up, around 9:30 in the morning (much much earlier than necessary, I'm sure) and received a text message from Timo around half past three that afternoon to confirm out booking. Timo, it transpires, is an absolute genius and a really nice bloke. More on that in a sec.

Tucked away and entirely missable, you'd never guess what was behind Door 74. We arrived, thankfully just on time, and rang the door bell. A few seconds later a small hatch opened in the door and a face appeared. The door opened and a lady checked our names and welcomed us in. Through a soundproof door and in to the bar, she took our coats for us and showed us to our table. Within a minute she returned with drinks menus, nuts, olives and water. Despite my best efforts, I never saw the bottom of the nuts bowl, she was so attentive.

My first cocktail was ordered off the menu. The Eight Legged Ink. Absolutley beautiful. There was a great selection of drinks on offer but I am very much a rum fan and usually stick to anything rum based. There were not many drinks that were just rum based (.. it's a cocktail bar so obviously, that isn't a criticism!). I asked Timo (the bartender) if he could make me something "rummy", told him what sort of rums I like and next thing I know he is making a cocktail in front of me, explaining everything as he did. The result was a rum based manhattan and it was brilliant. Timo knocked up a few more concoctions, each one as great as the first, including "something with gin" for the girlfriend. As well as his excellent knowledge of spirits and how they work together, Timo was a great host. He provided friendly chat about rum (which I am quite enthusiastic about) and never let our water glasses run dry.

The cocktails range between €13 an €15 but trust me, the experience and the quality of the drinks makes this absolutely worth it. I know that when we think about our trip to Amsterdam, the first thing we will both remember is Door 74 and how great a time we had.

If you want to do something really memorable to wrap up a trip to Amsterdam, make this it. You won't regret it.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Chris C
Renee J, Public Relations Manager at Door74, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear mrchrisconroy,

Thank you very much for your review. I have passed on your kind words to Timo and he is very thankful of your compliments.

We love to hear that you and your girlfriend had such a good time and hope that we will see you again on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Renée J

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Amsterdam's best cocktails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

My boyfriend brought me here for a surprise last year, you can read my review of Door 74 in full here http://www.myhiddengems.co.uk/2013/03/door-74-amsterdam-best-cocktail-bar/.
It is a bit of an unnecessary fuss getting entry, lots of secret texting involved, and it is pricey, so if you're looking for a cheap night out this isn't the place for you. But for a special occasion, like a birthday, it's ideal. I was a bit put off as I thought it sounded on the pretentious side. But once inside staff were welcoming and knowledgeable, and the atmosphere was really relaxed. By the end of the night we'd even made some new friends.

Visited August 2012
Dear MaxineCl,

Thank you for your review of Door 74.

We were please to hear that you found the reservation procedure worth it after visiting us and experiencing our cocktails.

If you are ever in Amsterdam again, we hope you will cisit us again.

Renée J
Oslo, Norway
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic Speakeasy place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Really great atmosphere. The people working there are really passionate about the experience and the cocktails/drinks. You get really good treatment once inside.

The cocktails were some of the best I've tried.

HUGE variety of spirits.

A must do in Amsterdam.

Visited July 2013
Dear honlas,

Thank you for your review of Door 74.

We'd like to thank you for al the great compliments you've expressed as we very much appreciate honest reviews. And if they are positive, it's even better!

Hope to see you on your next visit in Amsterdam.

Renee J
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The Best Speakeasy Experience in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Full review and pictures can be found here:

Why is it the best?

1. Speakeasies are supposed to be quite hard to find, but they do it well enough not to be overly snobbish.

2. Treatment once you get in is superb. Amsterdam humor, wit, hospitality and charm at total work here. They treat you like you've been going here every day of your life.

3. Cocktail Selection: Changes every season with original concoctions from what they call their "bar geeks". Will keep you coming to see what they have in store.

4. Quality of drinks is great. Like what I always say with good speakeasies:
"This is not one of those super clubs where the bartender just splashes out booze with the smoothness of liquid sandpaper masked with an overdose of sugar in the hopes that the loud noises and girl-on-girl makeouts by the dance floor will make you forgive their incompetence. These are beautifully crafted, well thought, and even some are made on site. It is with this that there is a premium on the price"

Never leave Amsterdam without stopping by Door 74.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ray R
Renee J, Public Relations Manager at Door74, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Ray R,

Thank you very much for your complete review of Door 74.

Your complete review on your website will be shared on our Facebook page in the next week.

Renee J,
London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great cocktails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Door 74 had been recommended by several different people (including bartenders) for the amazing cocktails and they did not disappoint.

Door 74 requires you to call on the day to book a table, which means that it is not booked up months in advance like some bars. As we were only in Amsterdam for two days this suited us. We were met at the door by a very attentive doorman who took our coats and seat us at a table. The menus are fantastic, the one we saw was themed like a jungle B movie.

The bartender came to our table when we were ready to order and she talked to us about our order. The service was very attentive: our water glasses were always full, the table nibbles were refresheded often and as soon as we had finished our drinks someone was there to take our next order. When they came the drinks were fantastic: many layered! I would seriously recommend looking at the menu.

If you are looking for a quick stop mojito don't come here. For a start they don't make them, although you can order off menu, as the bartenders are highly skilled (like chefs) and want to show you something you will never have tried or considered before. Give it a try if you are a cocktail fiend.

Visited June 2013