“Average.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Average.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I booked the superior room for 2 nights, arrived and the receptionist was very polite and helpful as were all of the staff at the front desk, I had a slight issue with the restaurant staff who I overheard speaking rather rudely of me within earshot due to me leaving the restaurant to pay the bill at the front desk as I was checking out and needed to pay the overall bill (which was the process I was told to follow 30 minutes earlier). Other than that the room was very comfortable although they seem to not have any double beds and considering I specified double and was travelling alone it seemed a bit unprepared, I was lumped with 2 pushed together singles which wasn't pleasant. Food was great and very well presented but overall I would probably stay elsewhere next time.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelv, General Manager at Hotel V Nesplein, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel V Nesplein! I am really sorry to hear of your experience with the bar staff in The Lobby, and hope that this is perhaps a misunderstanding that we can rectify.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further, so I would kindly ask that you get in touch via email at jan@hotelv.nl .

In the meantime, we will be discussing this issue with our restaurant staff and can assure that this will not happen again.

Kind Regards and hope to hear from you soon!

Jan Stuurman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Auburn, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location lots of restaurants close by, 2 min from dam sq. 10 min walk to Anne Frank Museum, 25 min walk to Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum. The bed was VERY comfortable, but the room itself was a bit sparse. I would also highly recommend the restaurant in the hotel called The Lobby. I had a risotto that was amazing with a crispy fried egg (breaded) cooked perfectly! My boyfriend loved his duck entree- crispy skin, juicy duck. And creme brûlée was great. I'd skip the appetizers as they were nothing special. L

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel W
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was my first trip to Amsterdam, and I was overwhelmed at first with all of the various options for hotels, from super-cheap to super-expensive.

The Hotel V was right in the middle of the pack in terms of price, was very close to the Dam (about a three minute walk), and even at 2 in the morning when I went out looking for a bite to eat, I didn't feel unsafe at all (even though Nes is definitely an alley-like side-street).

Being close to Dam meant ready access to a lot of shopping, tram lines, eateries, etc.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Derek B
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was quite overwhelmed with all aspects of this hotel. Even the smallest details lived up to high standards. The room and bathroom were new and clean. The shower had great functionality and good water pressure. There was even a towel warmer. The standard room was spacious with plenty of storage. Most importantly, the receptionists were friendly and helpful, for example they lent me a power adapter. Breakfast was rich. The whole hotel and restaurant are stylish and comfortable. I realise I am perhaps enthusiastic and uncritical, but I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the top floor towards the back, it was quiet.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Really pleased with our experience at the Hotel V, good room with plenty of space and opening windows, which is always nice.

The location was excellent only a few metres from Dam Square and lots of restaurants nearby, particularly helpful in the rainy weather.

The hotel has a modern design and as we only had the basic room there wasn't really anywhere comfortable to site, a rug might have warmed up a the room a bit more.

The front desk and breakfast teams were excellent and couldn't do more to help. The only negative of our trip was New Year's Eve, as our dining plans fell through and we hoped to eat really early at the hotel but the lady I spoke too from the restaurant was really quite abrasive and it felt like she delighted in being fully booked without offering any solution - I had to prompt to find out if any room service might be available.

Luckily our problem was solved as the nearby Brasserie Harkema, who offered us the chance to go along at opening time and wait to see if we could be fitted it. We were accommodated and had a lovely meal.

Overall, I would stay here again, just not over the festive period.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more of a view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bloomfield Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We enjoyed everything about this terrific hotel: the location, the rooms, the stylish decor, the attitude of the staff (very helpful finding us places to eat and directing us on walking tours), and especially the restaurant in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2014
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Wonderful experience
Clean and open large room we took superior with bath
Very friendly staff
Great restaurant-the chef is always there to see if you like the food
Try gin tonic so good!
Perfect location
Overall we were very happy
Close to train station but in a calm street

• Stayed December 2013