“Decent quality food in nice surroundings”
Review of Umami Amsterdam - CLOSED

Umami Amsterdam
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The first thing to say is that this place looks a lot better on the inside than it does from the outside so don't let that put you off. The food itself was pretty good, although it did come to the table rather quickly after ordering which made me wonder how 'fresh' the sushi was that I ordered. That said, it was pretty decent.

I think the concept behind the menu is interesting but perhaps a little over complicated, I'm not sure I'd return for dinner as I think I would just want a more straight forward meal rather than having to choose lots of smaller dishes, eat them one at a time and then get the next dish brought to the table once you had finished the current one but I enjoyed my lunch and the two people I was with had no complaints over theirs so overall we were pleased. The prices were pretty good for what you were served and the service was also good. I think I'd still have preferred a more straight forward meal, a nice plate of mixed sushi / sashimi for example.

I’m not sure it’s quite worthy of all the great reviews on here but I guess that’s personal opinion, it’s ok this place but not out of this world and I wouldn’t necessarily go out of my way to return in future but if you’re passing and you want a pretty decent lunch in nice surroundings at a good price then you should consider this place.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We dined at Umami on a Saturday evening, expecting very good things based on the previous reviews. We didn't make a reservation, and initially we almost didn't go in as it looked completely empty from the street (clearly not a good sign on a Saturday during dinner hours); when we did decide to go in we stood for a few minutes at the reception desk, until it was clear nobody was coming, and we eventually found someone around the corner, further into the restaurant.

As many other reviewers have indicated, the overall concept is good - choose however many small dishes you would like, in groups that you would like them to arrive in. Unfortunately, the menu doesn't make clear that the fixed price options don't apply on Saturday night - our waitress simply said, "That's not for now," when we tried to order it.

The food itself was also very good - nice sushi and excellent crayfish salad to start, and delicious honey pork main. Our waitress unfortunately failed to advise, however, that we would also need to ask for rice (it's not an option or even mentioned on the menu, so we assumed it would come with the mains; while there doesn't seem to be a charge for it, it's necessary to ask for it).

The final nail in the coffin for the service at Umami was our drinks order, which was apparently "forgotten" by the waitress. We eventually had to order it again, 15 minutes later.

If it weren't for the excellent food this review would have been less than 3 stars, as the service was simply not good enough.

1  Thank largebrick
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We went there with a group of 5 people and had a wonderful dinner. The food was excellent and the location made us feel good. What I did not like is the policy of this restaurant:
- some tables are only available with reservations even if they are not booked for an evening!?
- you need to decide for one table if all people take a menu offer or order a la carte (because the guests are in principle cheating).

Even though the waiters tried to be polite and explain all policy lines rather well, I do not like to be treated like this. I want to choose the options according to my preferences and not according to the policy line of the restaurant. That's why I do not give so many stars.

1  Thank Marc L
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Good concept, nice food and good prices. Good concept, nice food and good prices. Good concept, nice food and good prices. Good concept, nice food and good prices. Good concept, nice food and good prices.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Enjoyed the variety and quality of the food. The concept of how many to order and how the menu correlates to the choices you have to write down is not clear to a novice.