“Money well spent, can't wait to go back and do one of the other tours”

Exposure Photo Tours
Ranked #169 of 420 Tours in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: A fun and new way of experiencing a city tour by combining cultural history with a complete photography workshop. By including a quality photo book with a complete lesson rundown we have set ourselves apart from any other tours offered. An experience you will never forget with photographic memories to ensure that you don't!
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent tuition from Gen who made the tour interesting, fun and informative. I've really learnt more about photography and Gen's enthusiasm is infectious. I'd definitely recommend this tour and go back and do one of the others next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I spent 2 hours with Gen learning about night photography. Gen was an excellent teacher and by the end of the evening I was confidently using my camera on the manual setting. A huge technical leap for me. I have some great shots now and was able to go out the next evening and use my new skills.
Thank you Gen for your enthusiasm and encouragement . A wonderful evening seeing Amsterdam through your eyes. The tour was excellent value I enjoyed every minute. The lovely booklet included also helped as a reminder of what I had learned during the evening.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have had some experience with photography but this tour really opened my eyes. Gen was an excellent guide giving great advice, excellent knowledge (she researched my camera in advance of the tour) and took us to some wonderful spots in the city for a wide variety of shots. I have images now that will last a lifetime and insight into the capabilities of my camera that I want to take forward.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stumbled upon Exposure Photo Tours while trolling TripAdvisor for things to do in Amsterdam. I was intrigued by the concept of combining a walking tour of Amsterdam with a how to lesson on using your DSLR camera properly to take better pictures. I checked out some of the other companies offering similar tours and ended up choosing Exposure Photo Tours. I am glad I did.

Genevieve, who was our instructor/tour guide, was outstanding. She loves photography; she also loves Amsterdam and conveys that passion with enthusiasm and good humor. After accommodating our immediate need for some munchies from a local supermarket (we had just landed a couple hours earlier from California), she got us started on the tour.

She walked us through the key features of our camera, explained the settings and how they affect the pictures we take. So we got lessons on Aperture settings, ISO, Shutter Speed, and so on with Gen serving as model for our photo exercises. All the while we were walking around the City seeing some of the sights and learning about the history of what we were looking at. She also gave us an easy to understand overview of how the city is laid out and how to get around and find the locations we wanted to get to later on.

After the exercises with the Camera settings we went on to learn about Composition, lighting, effects like panning, etc in very practical terms and got to play around quite a bit with the camera settings, angles, etc. The tour is not all walk, there is also a segment where we took a private boat (water taxi) and got to look at things from a different vantage point.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour/course and experimented with the camera very confidently for the remaining 8 days of our Europe trip. Before the course we would never have moved the setting away from Automatic, except maybe to choose the no-flash option. But now we were trying out different apertures, different ISO settings, taking panning shots with different shutter speeds and so on. We tended to favor our point-and-shoot even after buying the DSLR (Canon T2i) almost a year ago. But now we get it. Of course, Gen cautioned us that we would take a lot of lousy pictures, everyone does, but as we review our pictures and see what worked and what did not, we will get better and better. If you come somewhat prepared to know more about your camera and photography in general you’ll find Gen is a very enthusiastic teacher with a lot of clever tips. Since class sizes are limited to 6 you should have ample opportunity to ask questions.

The edge of this tour over the others to me was the limited class size, boat tour, plus they provide a book that summarizes the lessons and the settings covered during the tour. The book is compact and does an excellent job of reminding one of the lessons even after spending the next 8 days in museums, palaces, sightseeing and so on. This tour was definitely worth the price for us.

4  Thank indysan
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I worked with Gen in 2 private lessons. She gave me a lot of insight in working with my camera and how to take better photos. I learned a lot and had fun at the same time. Gen is upbeat and communicates very well. I definitely would reccomend her.
Ellie