“Soso. Noisy, slow service, average food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of NRC Restaurant - CLOSED

NRC Restaurant
Cuisines: European, French, Dutch, Mediterranean, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Soso. Noisy, slow service, average food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We came here twice. Once outside which was quite ok. Prices still were a little lower. Food decent. The second time quite unhappy. Traffic at Rokin is now passing right next to tables. Also inside very noisy. We had to wait 45min for our sandwich which were average. There was nobody in the meantime, so neither food nor drinks.

• Turkish first
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Makes a pleasant change”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

While I concede that the service could be a little sharper and some of the chef's forays into nose to tail dining are odd, I do have a very soft spot for this restaurant. It is quite simply not like most other restaurants in Amsterdam. It is light and open plan instead of the usual dark Dutch cave like buildings and guests the view through the ceiling onto the editorial offices of the eponymous newspaper. The menu also offers some dishes that are not widely available in the Netherlands. I have obviously eaten better terrine in France, but the terrine at NRC is certainly nice and it is after all not something you see very often in the Netherlands.

• Visited May 2014
Bristol, England
“A memorable first meal in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Delicious food, a varied menu (would recommend the pizza... Delicious), a busy and quirky venue and very handsome, friendly young male waiters! A must for any trip to Amsterdam

Visited May 2014
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Great place with opportunities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went to this great place to enter, The NRC restaurant, with a large group of 11 people. What a newspaper has to do with a restaurant is still a question to me. We were welcomed very friendly and had a great place to sit. The staff is professional and understands the situation. The menu is a 3 course dinner for € 31,50 or it is a starter for € 8,50 and a main course for € 18,50. We had a variety of main courses on the table but we missed that sparkling thing, that tiny bit extra to make it really special. This made the kitchen look rather average. Nevertheless this is a lively and vibrant place to be, especially when you catch the drift of the latest news, but not for culinary adventures.
Once again we must credit the staff for their professionalism.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Evening paper resto suffers from poor editing, mediocre layout.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I wish I could be more positive about this large open plan restaurant. Themed from the financial newspaper NRC Handelsblad and with a good central location in Amsterdam, you would think it would be on to a winner. But I found that the mid-week meal I had with 5 colleagues fell short in a number of ways.

Food: Disappointing choice on the menu for an international crowd. I know my way around a menu but I had to Google the choices to see which one was the steak, which I chose. Well prepared starter of mushroom soup. Main course (bavette) was sell cooked and prepared, but really, serving marrow in the bone? What kind of pre-BSE fantasy is this? My guests I felt were struggling to choose from the menu, even though they said they liked the food - I felt that the chef should look again at the menu to make it more appealing. It needs tighter editing!

Design: projections from 8-bit computer games on the ceiling. Why? And if it's a newspaper restaurant, where are the real time news feeds? All I could see was a 32" screen with some small snippets of news. I thought this a missed opportunity. Add to that it was rather overlit, especially as the number of patrons was small.

Service: We had a nice waiter, but given the small number of people there, we had a long wait for desert and the bill.

Pricing: EUR 330 for 6 people, 55 a head: probably EUR 10 too much given that 2 of the party did not drink alcohol.

Conclusion: I could see this working as a good place for lunch, but for a mid-week business dinner, or party, or romantic dinner I would not visit again.

• Visited March 2014