“Stunning Design Decent Quality Good Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Room Mate Aitana

Room Mate Aitana
Ranked #29 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Stunning Design Decent Quality Good Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The architecture of the hotel is stunning as it stands on a small man made island a palace of glass and steel. Internally the designer style is continued with the rooms being minimalistic, spacious and comfortable - in fact my partner and me both commented on the superb comfort level of the bed. The location is nicely away from the madness of Dam Square yet only a 15-20 minute stroll via the station. Check in seemed to take an eternity and the room keys were tempremental needing changing three times in three days - annoying. The only real gripe we had was that being on the 11th floor (with great views over the City) was the fact that there were only 3 lifts, one of which seemed to be always out of order, meaning we were constantly waiting ages.
Overall the hotel is very good and we would certainly use again.

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Me & my husband recently stayed at this hotel on 2nd July for 3 nights. The hotel itself is visually stunning, the architecture around this area is really interesting. Its definitely not in the centre though its about a 10 - 15minutes walk from the central station and about a 20 minute walk to the centre.

When we arrived the reception desk had 1 lady working, and there was a que of about 4 people, she didn't ask for anyone to help her on the desk although there seemed to be plenty of staff around. By the time we had checked in and got to our room it was about half hour, which is a little annoying after already travelling. Then after 15minutes of arriving in our room, some man just let himself in our room with a card, he did say 'excuse me I didn't know you were in here' and he had come to fit a corner strip in the bathroom, to be fair he was in and out in 5minutes but really we thought that should of been done beforehand, not after we had arrived.

0n the 2nd morning we forgot to put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, and a cleaner came into our room at 9:00, she said she would come back. To be fair this was our error by not putting the sign on the handle but even so 9:00am to clean rooms? far too early in my opinion.

On our last day, checkout was not until 12:00 and we were getting our things together to check out, a member of staff knocked on the door at 10:30 to check if we had anything from the fridge, again this may be me being fussy, but we had not had anything from that fridge the whole time we were there, and I felt they should of waited until we left the room. On checkout there was again a que at reception, 2 staff this time but very slow, we were waiting for 20minutes before we got to the desk and then when were stood at the desk with the card key in our hand they went and served the man stood behind us! Then when I seen the next member of staff I had to say 'we just want to checkout please' then that member of staff checked us out in less than a minute. Its a shame about the slow unorganised staff, although they were friendly.

We had a queen room only, the room itself was modern, spacious and light, the bed was big and was very comfortable, the shower was amazing, and the view from our window was nice.

I don't know If I would return because of the service, but the hotel itself is lovely.

Room Tip: Try get a room on the higher floors, have better views.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My other half and I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. It was a 5 min walk from central station and about a fifteen minute walk to damrak. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff were friendly but were quite confusing when I explained I wanted to pay in cash he still demanded a credit card for the full payment of the room and finally he said that he didn't need it if we paid in full in cash. We used the mini bar although it was expensive. The restaurant was very disappointing but they have a different page so I will review there. The wifi isn't very good I could hardly read my emails. It was a pleasant stay due to the nice area and good view from the 11th floor and my boyfriend was very impressed. This is a tricky one because it was a lovely modern and clean hotel in a nice area but I'm not sure if I myself would stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 11th of 12th floor on the glass front side.
1 Thank Lauren596
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel for our Amsterdam city break.

Location is great - the hotel is very close to Centraal Station. Directly to the south of the hotel is a beautiful non-touristy neighbourhood, Jordaan, which is full of small independent restaurants and canal-side bars.

Rooms are well designed with nice trendy furniture. The bed is very comfortable with good quality bed linen. The room is spacious, but almost too spacious - the bathroom side of the room feels bare and will benefit from an extra armchair and some artwork on the wall. We paid an extra 10 EUR per night for a last-minute upgrade to a high-level room, which is worth the money as the views of the city from the room are lovely. Toiletries and other in-room amenities are sufficient for a 4-star hotel, but nothing special really!

Service is okay. The staff we dealt with at check-in was friendly and professional but our experience with other staff in the following days was fairly average - not rude, but also not particularly helpful!

All in all, the hotel is a good solid choice for a few nights' stay in Amsterdam. The price is very good compared to other hotels in the city. It would have been a perfect experience if the service was improved.

Room Tip: High-level rooms are worth the extra 10 EUR.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Will C
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at Room Mate Aitana for 6 nights and am happy to admit that it was an excellent experience.
The staff was very nice and helpful.
The rooms are spacious, clean and furnished in a trendy minimalist style. A small drawback might be that even if taking a twin room (which happened to be also my case), the bathroom is generally suitable for one person as there is not too much space. Therefore, if travelling alone, it is still perfect, however, for a couple there might be some constraints.
Very comfy beds!
The minibar was full and there was always some choice if during the day there was no possibility to buy a snack in any of the local shops.
Breakfast was good and had a quite wide selection. So, even if it did not change much during all my stay, there was always a possibility to chose something new and untried in the previous mornings.

Room Tip: If you chose a room on lower floors, it is advisable to chose the city side of the hotel for a nicer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights during a business trip to Amsterdam last month. My room was clean and comfortable. The staff was great. But the "free wifi" was so slow in my room as to be useless. When I complained, I was told that the IT department was working on the issue. Whatever they were doing, it didn't help during the time I was at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings. Modern clean but the bar is supposed to close at 12......except when it closes at 11.45! Having taken a cab to get back for a last drink I do not appreciate having to argue my case and then being told 'ok, but just one'. Like a naughty child. I only wanted one anyway!.
P.S Our air conditioning wasnt working either

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple