“Smart and sassy but lacked finesse”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Room Mate Aitana

Ranked #29 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Smart and sassy but lacked finesse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We loved our stay here. We paid extra for a view and it was well worth it! From the 12th floor, every time we looked out we could see something new we hadn't seen before. The staff were very friendly, the decor is lovely and lifts it above the usual generic hotel, the room as quiet, and the beds were the comfiest I can remember in a hotel.

However there were a few niggles. The room service menu - there was none in the room when we arrived, we had to ask - had nothing vegetarian on it, not even chips. The first floor bar that we got a voucher for "20% off first drink and free tapas" was inexplicably closed when we went down. Breakfasts are overpriced at €18.50 each, so we went over to Bagels and Beans 10 metres across the road - but this has a limited breakfast menu. And though they have bicycles for hire, they were permanently out for the week we were there. Finally, we were surprised there was no on-demand movies on the TV - just a (reasonable) selection of European and American channels.

Summary: great room. some room for improvement!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the top floor views!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Smokeandmirrors64,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is wonderful to read you loved your stay with us! I'm very happy to read our staff, the view and the décor made for a great stay!
I would also like to thank you for the feedback you have given, which can only help us in making Aitana an even better hotel. Your comments will be taken to heart and discussed within our teams and we will do what we can to improve on those points!

It has been a pleasure to have you as our guest, and I hope we may welcome you back at Room Mate Hotels!

m.veken@room-matehotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We just came back from Amsterdam and we stayed in this hotel. It is placed near Central Station (trains) in a nice neighborhood near the ocean.
The room we had for my husband and my baby was big, clean and clear. We paid an extra to have a room with view...and it was not bad from the 11th floor.
We did not have breakfast at the hotel. 18 Euros each was too much when Amsterdam offers you a big choice of places to eat.
The team is very nice. They are all multilingual and open to help you when needed.

Room Tip: You will never have view to the ocean side...there are other buildings in front!
1 Thank Tamaiti
Dear Tamaiti,

Thank you for your stay in Room Mate Aitana and for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you valued the room and our team so highly!

Although indeed most of our rooms with a view look out onto the city, you will be pleased to know there are a few rooms that have a partial view of the river IJ. Although we do not have a lot of rooms like this, you are always welcome to request this.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels!

Kindest regards on behalf of the entire team,

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived around 7 in the afternoon. The person who checked us in wasn't friendly at all. although we made a reservation before, he told us only two rooms are available and one was a room for handicapped person, which we didn't chose.
Our room was very spacious, but there are two major problems:
1- There is a new property at the opposite and all we could see was their windows. The room is very dark. So if you need to wear make up in the afternoon the lighting in the room doesn't allow you to see your face.
2- There is only a hand held shower in the bathroom. I had no problem to used it for my 2 year old daughter, but since I myself have a very long hair washing my hair became a nightmare. I had to ask my husband to hold the shower for me while I was washing my hair!

It's a new hotel so overall it's clean, but twice I had to call and ask for my room to be cleaned, although I put a sign at the door in the morning and when I made the call it was pass 17:00.

The bus station is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
We had breakfast everyday at Bagels& Beans right in front of the hotel, their staff were super nice and we loved the breakfast and the view.

Dear Monamona30,

thank you for sharing your experience on your stay with us. Our goal is always to meet and even exceed expectations, and from reading your comments I understand we did not succeed in doing so.

I sincerely appreciate your comments, as they give us an opportunity to improve on our product and services. We will definitely take your feedback to heart and improve where we can!
As I feel you did not experience our hotel the way we intend to, I would love the chance to welcome you back. Perhaps you could contact me directly to discuss your experience and see if there is a possibility for us to show you the true Room Mate Aitana experience?

Thank you for having been our guest, and I hope we may welcome you back to Room Mate Aitana!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Extremely comfortable rooms as expected from a brand new hotel, staff were friendly a great base to visit Amsterdam from. Hotel restaurant overlooked the harbour and some very expensive boats beware the shortcut bridge does close to let the larger sail boats out but they're fun to watch

Room Tip: Ask for harbour views but don't pay extra
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kaye M,

thank you for posting your review of your stay with us. We are very happy to read you enjoyed your time staying with us! We understand the importance of a good night's sleep when travelling, so we took special care in designing our beds. The fact that you comment so positively about the comfort (and the friendly staff) gives us great satisfaction!

On behalf of the entire team at Aitana I would like to thank you for being our guest, and we look forward to welcome you back soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have stayed at Room Mate hotels before but this is by far the best. I might have given it 5* but reserve that for really special places.

The location on the Ijdock is really good if you don't mind an easy 10 minute walk. This newly developed area of Amsterdam just west of the Central Station is only 10 minutes walking from the station, 10 minutes walking from the canal rings, and provides a nice refuge from the sometime craziness of Amsterdam itself. The only problem is there is no apparent public transport from the hotel to Central Station, so if you have a lot of luggage or are have mobility issue your only choice is a taxi.

The rooms, albeit somewhat spartan, are more than sufficient and nicely have two double beds per room, allowing four people (family of four including two children) to share a room -- something harder to find in European hotels. This is a brand new hotel and everything is in good order. The rooms and bathrooms are quite large, the bedding is very comfortable, and the toiletries good. The hotel has a very cool vibe.

While there is not much around the hotel since this is a relatively new area, there is a Bagels & Beans for coffee, breakfast and lunch that has an incomparable view onto the Ij River from the back of the restaurant. Well worth visiting for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear sirtravel,

thank you for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. I am happy to read you had such an enjoyable stay, enjoying the location and quality of the room! As for your remark about public transportation: there is in fact a Bus Stop (Bus 48) on the main road, 2 minutes walking from the hotel which goes to both Amsterdam Central Station (4-5 minutes) or to Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station (about 20 minutes). We will make sure to have this information more readily available for future guests!

It was our pleasure having you as our guest, and we would love to welcome you back to Room Mate Hotels!

Kindest regards on behalf of the entire team at Aitana,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I've read so many good reviews about this hotel and so looking forward to be there. I sent an email for a special request and they replied very fast and it made me have more expectation. I book a skyline standard room. Since it's call skyline so I am looking forward to have a very nice view just like a lot of the reviews said. I was so disappointed when I open the door. There is a new property at the opposite and all I can see is their windows. The harbour is only tiny part in between two buildings. The room is spacious and clean. The service is good and staffs are helpful.
Location is a problem. I am travelling with a 3 and a 8 yrs old children. We tried to walk to the Central station and it took us 15 minutes. It's only the Central station, not the city centre. We finally decided we take bus after the first walk. The day pass is worth to save us the time.
It's a nice modern hotel and it's not too expensive for the standard in Amsterdam. If you don't mind it's not right at the centre, then that's not a bad choice.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mochaaaa
Dear Mochaaaa,

I have just read your review of your stay with us, and would like to thank you for sharing this feedback! Although you had an enjoyable stay you indicate that your expectations were not entirely met. We aim to meet and exceed expectations, so I am sorry to know we did not succeed in doing so.

The normal description for our upgradable rooms is 'standard room on upper floors with city view'. The term 'Skyline view' is not something we normally use. Would you perhaps be so kind to contact me directly with your booking details so I could look into this situation. It would be helpful in preventing disappointment for our future guests.

I would like to thank you for having stayed with us, and sincerely hope we may welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam!

kindest regards,

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

If you are looking for a modern style, luxury suite room in Amsterdam, this is your Hotel. After some research we found this 100 square meters room with iconic views (i-dock marina) and all the facilities that a brand new building can offer you. You'll really miss the room once you leave it behind. Perfect if you need to combine resting and working, as you have a very nice work area and wifi (free wifi worked fine for me for 5 days) and a lounge area.
The private lift for the room gives you a very VIP "touch"
The service is great and all staff were very friendly, in the reception, breakfast, etc.. We felt like being at home!
A very convenient option if you are looking for a modern luxury 5 stars hotel in Amsterdam, but for the price of a 4 stars hotel.

Room Tip: Suite Rooms are great isolated and a good sleep is guaranteed
Dear David A,

What a pleasure to read your review, and thank you for that 5 star rating! We love it when our guests give us feedback, and especially so when it is to let us know that they had such a fantastic stay!
It is wonderful to know that you had such a VIP experience in our suite, and the fact that you enjoyed such great service from our staff makes me very proud!