“Excellent Service,Good Location,Affordable Price”
Review of Hotel Alexander

Hotel Alexander
Ranked #155 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Service,Good Location,Affordable Price”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My family and I spent 3 nights in the family room of four in Hotel Alexander during May 2012. The hotel was conveniently located near Leidseplein whereby there were plenty of eating/shopping places and tram services. Many places such as Museumplein were accessible by foot. The room was clean and cosy and the surroundings were peaceful and quiet unlike most places in Amsterdam that were rowdy and crowded. As the hotel is a Chinese family-owned place, it definitely made us feel at home when we stepped into the hotel as it's always nice seeing fellow Chinese in a foreign country. What was truly commendable was the service provided by the hotel staff who I suppose are also the owners of this hotel. The staff took the initiative to help us check-in our flight, and was thoughtful to help choose a front flight seat for us that had more leg space.I can say that the excellent service provided by the staff in Hotel Alexander really sets it apart from the other hotels. I will definitely recommended my friends and others to stay in Hotel Alexander when they are in Amsterdam!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed at Hotel Alexander for 3 nights last May 19, 2012. It was a nice hotel with very friendly and helpful reception personnel. Upon check-in, he gave us a map and suggested tourist places for my family.

It was a nice suprise to find an elevator there. We stayed at a family room across the backyard. It was a nice quiet place to rest during the night. The kids liked playing hide-and-seek behind the small bushes in the backyard. It was a relaxing place away from home.

Room was clean.

Hotel was situated nicely. It was walking distance from Leidseplein where we found Burger King and other small restaurants. At Leidseplein, there were frequent tram stops. We bought tram tickets good for 3 days. Each 3-day tram ticket costs around EUR16 (same price for adult or child). The tram tickets can be bought at the Information counter in the Centraal train station or at any tram.

There was also a small supermarket at Damrak beside McDonald's.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tricia S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I recently spent a long weekend at the Hotel Alexander, staff were very friendly and accommodating, happy to store luggage before check-in/after check-out or give directions. We booked at the last minute, so only available room on the top floor was small (as expected for Amsterdam) but very clean and neat, as was the shower room.

Location is excellent, on a quiet street near the Museumplein, with many restaurants etc within easy walking distance. A taxi from the station was 18 Euro. We did not have the breakfast, so can't comment on quality, but it seemed expensive when there are other options nearby.

My only real negative is that, at this price level, tea/coffee making facilities, free wifi (not just in the lobby) and two pillows per guest is not too much to ask.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

I really must get one of the cameras used to take room pictures for hotel ads. Because our room at the Alexander Hotel was one of the dreaded down under rooms and no picture would do it justice. Fortunately, it was ok: clean, roomy, the beds were comfortable, the shower and TV worked and there was hot water. The location was good for everything we wanted to do. The staff was very helpful. But the breakfast? Really? They could do better and should.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Spring Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Spent a few days at the Hotel Alexander. Great location and a very accommodating staff. They were very helpful and had very good dinner recommendations. Our room overlooked the street and was quite comfortable with a large private bath. Only shortcoming was free wifi was only available in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room overlooking the street, worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

we stayed here for NYE 2010/11 great staff and location was perfect just outside the main streets but very good walking distance very clean and had everything you needed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I just finished a long weekend in Amsterdam and stayed at the Alexander Hotel based on recommendations from TripAdvisor. I even got the dreaded "basement room" that others warned about, but I have to say it wasn't as bad as I feared. I stayed there with two other people. I made my reservations late and when I checked in and was told my room number I immediately asked for a different room on a higher floor. I was told it was not possible as they did not have an available room with three beds for the weekend. So, I gave it a shot. The room was a good size and had three beds and a TV (although we could never get the TV to work). The basement room had windows that opened to the street but provided a good amount of light. The bathroom was big, the shower was large, no issues with hot water. And I have to say that the street was so quiet that we actually slept with the windows open and were fine even in the basement room.

I was in room 1. I personally think those basement rooms would be better than the rooms on floor zero that get everyone walking by them to get to the stairs or elevators.

The staff when we got there was great. They provided a map, told us where to walk, wrote on the map and made suggestions of what to do and what days to do them so it wouldn't be as crowded. Throughout the weekend they were all very nice and helpful.

The breakfast was a typical European breakfast. A little light for 10 Euros but nothing unlike what I have seen at just about every other hotel I've stayed at in Europe. I will say that one day we came in with only 15 mins left in breakfast and they were kind in putting more food out and baking more bread for us. Again, great staff.

The only downside is that the WiFi did not work. It is close to the city but probably the furthest on that street.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to others going to Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends