JUN Indonesian Cuisine
Reserve with
JUN Indonesian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 4,136 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$29 - US$46
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Jun Indonesian Cuisine is a modern restaurant on the edge of the Amsterdam city centre and near the Jordaan area. Together with my team I prepare authentic Indonesian dishes and new dishes inspired by the Indonesian cuisine. On our menu, that we change every three months, are always some 'classics' such as soto ayam (the famous Indonesian chicken soup) and rendang (beef tenderloin in a Sumatran curry), but we also offer real Indonesian dishes that you don't find on the menu everywhere else. We have an interesting wine card with delicious wines that go very well with the dishes we serve.
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Unlike so many Indonesian restaurants, Jun serves tasty dishes without drowning them in peanut flavoured gunk. Ingredients are fresh and of good quality. Atmosphere is a bit sterile but that is my only criticism

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Very good and tasty food. Especially the chicken, the beef and the fresh spring rolls. Nice little restaurant. Nice and friendly owner. Service a bit unprofessional but with a great smile. We will come back. Go here, you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank LeendertVis
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We only had a few days in Amsterdam, and were keen to try a good Rijsttafel. The glowing reviews on Tripadvisor for Jun convinced us. We sent an email to reserve a table and got a quick response from Edy, the owner.

Edy and my husband bantered over how spicy the sambal that came with the shrimp crackers should be; the kitchen kept sending out spicier and spicier sambals until my husband declared Edy forfeit ! :) Edy is funny and amiable, and proud of his restaurant.

We decided to try the full Rijsttafel experience ('rice table 2' on the menu), which came with a choice of appetizers (soup or a spring roll), fragrant rice, seven dishes and pickled vegetables. It was delicious, and each dish was very different. There were sauced dishes and skewers, ranging from shrimp and fish to chicken, beef and lamb, each spiced and prepared differently. The dishes are fairly mild, but if you want to add some heat, you can drizzle more spicy sambal oelek on. Everything is prepared from fresh ingredients. The shrimp dish was superlative!

We also ordered Bintang beer, because if you're going to have Indonesian food, you should have Indonesian beer to wash it down!

We enjoyed our meal and were so full, we didn't have dessert, so we cannot comment on their sweets. We'll be back if we have a chance to visit Amsterdam again.

1  Thank L-L-Mtl
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I and my boyfriend enjoy Asian cuisine. We had a lovely dinner at this restaurant, we ordered rice table and were completely satisfied with our meal. And what is important for me - not tooooo spicy. I cannot eat very peppery meals, this was perfect!

1  Thank Annette A
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I can only agree with the previous, excellent, reviews, in particular from Esclata-Sang. My word, this place was incredible! The host could not have been more engaging, pleasant, friendly, helpful (etc. etc. - really, he's lovely!). I'm vegetarian, and pretty fussy as well, and he went out of his way to ensure I had a selection of incredible treats to savour. The tofu and tempeh were divine, I mean, divine - I'm usually pretty apathetic with food, but I have been going on to everyone and anyone since we got back about how blown away I was.
My partner was also very impressed, the restaurant was his suggestion and his only prior experience of Indonesian cuisine was in Indonesia - which I think must speak to the quality and authenticity of the food. He particularly enjoyed the chicken dishes, and the sumptuous sorbet.
The restaurant itself is modern and tasteful, spotlessly clean, with beautiful 'loos'!
We picked a particularly wind-battered/icy-raining night to 'have a wander' out to see if we could find it, and were pretty numb when we arrived (and when we got back!) - it was worth every step. There is a tram stop nearby for those who fancy avoiding frostbite! ;) Thankfully, we received a very warm welcome, and cannot recommend Jun highly enough. We will definitely be returning on our next weekend trip!

3  Thank Bambzadag