“Great location, great value”

NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter
Ranked #108 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 July 2007

My wife, children and I just returned from a European vacation to Brussels, Brugge and Amsterdam and enjoyed our stay at the NH Museum Quarter. The location was key to us because we did not want to be in the center of the city and we did want to be near the museums-- PERFECT. This is a modern hotel, the rooms are spacious, a little quirky in design and clean.
We chose NOT to take breakfast in the hotel due to the expense and our preference for a lighter, continental-style breakfast. SOLUTION--Just 10-15 minutes walk away is a grocery store called Dirk's with a bakery on the left as you walk in, and on the walk back a shop called the Coffee Company. Voila, you get your morning constitutional, an apple turnover fresh out of the oven and a latte in less than 45 minutes. Breakfast for 4=less than $20 a day.
The Anne Frank House is about a 40 minute walk along the canals. This is a must for your visit to Amsterdam if you have never been-- A harsh, tangible reminder of man's inhumanity to man.
Museums are on the next block[we preferred the walk to the right as you leave the hotel, through the park; canals are across the street; tram is a block away[not that we ever used it]. There are a tons of restaurants within a 15 minute walk of the hotel in any direction although we usually crossed over the canal right in front of the Rijksmuseum. There is a pasticceria for sweets and pastries a few blocks away in the other direction.
We took the 1/2 day tours to Delft, etc and to Edam, etc. Both were great and arranged by the hotel. There is a canal boat ride a few blocks away and a concert hall a short walk from the hotel.
Enjoy!
PS-- if you are a light sleeper do not stay in room 110.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank FAMRAU
Write a ReviewReviews (1,959)

Reviewed 9 July 2007

We booked 2 double rooms for a weekend break between 6th - 8th July. The rooms themselves were clean and the beds comfortable - not the biggest rooms in the world but fine for a weekend stay.

We had breakfast included in the price of the stay however should you be looking to stay, DON'T have the breakfast - you'd be better off going to a cafe. We arrived for breakfast the first morning only to be shown to a dirty table full of used dishes, which we ended up having to clear ourselves. When the waitress did finally reach our table, she made no apology for this.

The cooked breakfast (eggs, bacon and sausages) on the second morning looked like left overs from the day before and were stone cold. I informed the waitress that the food was cold, to which she placed the palm of her hands directly on to both the eggs and sausages at the counter right in front of me!! She then gave the items a mix around with a spoon and then took them off to the kitchen for reheating! Hygiene standards are clearly lacking here and one member of our group ended up with food poisioning for the entire weekend, the likely cause appearing to be from the breakfast (althouh we cannot be 100% certain)

On the second morning I used the hairdryer in my room and it caught fire - luckily it was not close to my hair otherwise it would have burnt my hair and possibly my scalp. We immidiately informed front desk of this incident and were informed that someone would come up immediately. No one arrived and when we went to check out we raised this issue again. The duty manager provided us with poor excuses claiming that no one could find him to inform him of this incident.

Overall, there is a clear lack of staff training by all levels of staff (excluding the cleaning ladies who were very polite and friendly) and our complaints were met by front desk with a negative, don't care a less attitude. We shall be contacting the NL group directly regarding this incident.

If you want somewhere decent to stay, our advice would be to book early at a hotel within the Jordaan area (where we have stayed before).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank fudgiebox
Reviewed 10 June 2007

We stayed 3 nights in a large corner room overlooking the canal. Very good location for visiting the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum and easy walk to shopping area and restaurants. We found the hotel very clean and the staff very cordial. The breakfast buffet was very good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2007

Stayed here with my kids...BIG mistake. They never vaccumed, unless I specifically asked. The matress had some ugly stains on them . I'll try to post pictures to see for yourselves. There were a few bottles of wine next to the elevator, and were picked up only after 3 days! Spare yourselves and book elsewere.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank brenada
Reviewed 9 May 2007

We selected this hotel after reading the reviews on this site and were not disappointed. Stayed six nights. Modern hotel, good location, easy access, convenient - we were seeing museums and general touring.

Large, well-appointed room (superior corner room). Quiet.

Room service is minimal but good. A LOT of airline crews stay here - one desk clerk said it was 70% of their business.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank InterntlTraveler10
Reviewed 1 April 2007

One of Amsterdam's great charms is the way its residences have evolved over the centuries... all over one sees wood-framed buildings leaning against each other. Unfortunately many of the hotels I've visited in Amsterdam have the same aged feeling: dark decors, dated bathrooms, and slightly sagging wooden floors.

Not the NH Museum Quarter, which is a fresh, contemporary hotel with appealing facilities. My room was on the sixth floor facing the canal. It was spacious and welcoming. The bathroom was really pleasant, with stone floors and light wooden fixtures. The staff were generally helpful. The bar area has a good atmosphere, and the fitness center is really convenient: free for guests 24 hours, several pieces of good-quality cardio equipment (bikes, tread mill, rowing machine, etc). Finally, the location is just fine, a short taxi ride to the central train station (or a pleasant 30-minute stroll, if it isn't raining!). There are numerous restaurants in the neighborhood within a 10-minute walk.

I'll definitely recommend this hotel to friends and stay here again next time in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank thielees
Reviewed 27 March 2007

The NH Museum Quarter is just a few minutes away from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum. You can also walk to Leidseplain in about 10 minutes -- where you will find bars, restaurants, shopping, etc. So it's a pretty good location for the south part of Amsterdam.

There's a tram stop just around the corner from the hotel, so it's pretty quick and easy to get to the north/central part of Amsterdam too... It was also very easy to get to the hotel from the airport by taking a train to Centraal Station, and then a tram (number 16 or 24) from there to the hotel.

The room I stayed in had air con, fridge (no minibar), safe, TV and wi-fi connectivity (not free!). There are vending machines on every floor selling soft drinks and beer, plus there is 24hr room service. I believe that there is also a gym, although I did not have time to go and see it.

The breakfast (included) was decent -- the usual continental selection of breads, pastries, meats, cheeses... Plus hot food such as bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, etc. They also have a "cook to order" service at breakfast which is very good! I can recommend the omlette!

So, overall, the hotel didn't "blow me away"... But it's decent, clean, safe, and comfortable. Nothing special. But I would have no hesitation in recommending it for either business or leisure.

I also got a great deal on the hotel by using the TripAdvisor "View All Best Deals" service. Before that, I had checked every internet hotel booking site I could think of, and every single site was giving me the exact same price... I even called NH hotels direct, and was again quoted the same price. But using the "View All Best Deals" link on this site, I managed to find a price that was about 30% cheaper than the price quoted everywhere else!! So well done TripAdvisor!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business