“shame about the service”
Review of The College Hotel

The College Hotel
Ranked #164 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 March 2008

As an avid 'Mr and Mrs Smith' traveller, i booked The College Hotel in Amsterdam for 1 night as a special treat for my partner.

I emailed the hotel a few months before arriving to advise them of my membership number, this would allow a free upgrade. I did not receive a reply after submitting this twice.

After a 5 hour delay (heavy snow in the UK) we arrived at the beautiful hotel, wonderful interior and wonderful ambience. We were not warmly greeted and taken to our room. I was so disappointed - very very small, a cupboard door had a toliet in and in the corner a very small shower cubicle. We had in fact been given a single room! We asked to be moved and our double room was very spacious, lovely double shower and sumptious bedding. We were offered a free drink in the bar for the inconvenience.

We opted for 'breakfast in bed' so filled in the continental option for 1030/1100 in our room. By 1130 we had showered and were chasing our coffee and breakfast. They had forgotten us. We were sent bacon panninis at 1215hrs! I'm a vegetarian! We decided to check out - i asked for a refund on our breakfast and a discount on our room. The manager asked if we enjoyed our pastry box - you guessed, what pastry box? He apologised once again and asked if we would like a drink in the bar, we asked for a coffee and a rose wine. My partner and i fell about laughing, we were sent a white wine and a pot of tea!

Wonderful building, immaculately clean, further out of the centre than we thought but such a big shame that the 'students' aren't keen, attentive and correctly guided.

Stayed: March 2008
There are newer reviews for The College Hotel

Reviewed 4 February 2008

This hotel is pretty luxury standard. Everything about it is 5 star - except the staff. This is only due to all the staff being students - in the trade. With their lack of experience you can find youself in pretty laughable situations - but it doesn't detract from the great location and venue.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2008

We were in for a surprise this time visiting Amsterdam. After reading an article in Travel + Leisure on this hotel, we thought we try it out. Never encountered anything like it, and we've travelled a lot, mainly through Europe. The atmosphere is just amazing, ancient building with perfect lighting, combination of fabrics like silk and velvet make it just devine. The bar is a popular hangout for locals, and we just mingled right in! Excellent cocktails, The College Swinger was definately my favourite :-) Unfortunately we didn't have the change to dine in the restaurant, which looked amazing as well, so we had some bites in the bar. The presentation of the soup was really funny. Coming to the staff, well, they are youngsters who are being trained. We knew this beforehand and we must say, we were pleasantly surprised. We saw teenagers doing their best to please us and being trained to become professional. Very helpfull for sure. We would certainly go back here in summer, so we can try out on of their scooters they rent out! Faboulous idea!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2007

I have just come back from a superb four-day stay at The College Hotel. This is a stunning, luxury property, just the right size (not too big; not too small) located in an upscale, residential section of Amsterdam. It truly offers the best of both worlds. The museums and Concertgebouw are a quick five minute walk away. Trams directly, in front of the hotel, have you in city center in about 10-minutes.

I booked a deluxe double (#108)—a large corner room with four big windows-- and it didn’t disappoint. You entered into a long entrance foyer in which there was a closet, lots of mirrors and the entrance to the bathroom (also quite nice with a large tub and handheld shower). The hallway took you to the sleeping area in which there was a comfy, cozy double bed, two night stands and a desk with a flat screen TV. Then it was up two steps to a large seating area containing small sofa, chair, coffee table, mini-bar and other furnishings that completed the look of the room.

There was everything you would expect of a luxury hotel. A particularly nice touch was the fresh bottle of water and plate of apples left by my bedside each night.

I have stayed in a number of 4 and 5 star hotels in my day and I am very picky. I must say that the customer service I received at The College was the best I have ever experienced—from my first exploratory phone call to the cab that was ordered and arrived just on time for my 5:45am trip to the train station. The reservation manager spent ages on the phone with me helping to pick the perfect room. When I arrived, the room I had been promised was ready for me. Check-in was quick and easy. Every need was met from then on.

I grant you that some of the trainees are a bit “unseasoned” but what they lack in experience they make up for in enthusiasm and warmth. And, there is always an experienced pro nearby to step in and assist if needed.

Staying at The College was a treat. I can’t wait to go back.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Lizzie1955
Reviewed 22 October 2007

My husband and I stayed here on the last bit of our honeymoon. The hotel looked great, plush decor and beautiful furnishings but we found customer service left a lot to be desired. Having had a pleasant stay we went to bed early on our last night only to be woken up several hours later by a member of staff unlocking our room door coming into the room with a delivery, mistakenly thinking the room was vacant. He hadn't knocked first so didn't hear our cries of protest that he'd got the wrong room. Our sleep was interrupted and we did not then have a relaxing time the rest of the night. When I mentioned the incident to the member of staff on reception when I was checking out he seemed very disinterested, admitted it had been him who'd done it and sort of shrugged it off with barely an audible sorry. I was appalled at the attitude, all I wanted as an acknowledgement and a proper apology. When I wrote a letter of complaint on my return to the UK I was disappointed not to have received a reply. Therefore I am not able to recommend this hotel because of this unfortunate incident and the complete lack of interest from hotel staff in making up or apologising for it.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hobbzee
Reviewed 11 October 2007

I like to stay in five star properties, although this is rated five star, i think it really may be 4 star. The rooms are nicely furnished although the lighting in the rooms leave so much to be desired. The beds are very comfortable with nice down duvets. The rain showerhead is AMAZING! There were not any towel warmers, but who cares. The bathroom also needs additional lighting. Everything in this hotel room is very nice and plush, but too dark. The hotel bar rocks, Each night the crowd was a grouping of 30 and 40 somethings enjoying themselves. The only major drawback of the hotel is the staff. They are students in hospitality and do have a lot to learn! During my stay, the staff was not proficient in giving a tourist directions, They did, however, perfect the art of giving out maps! They were professional but not really friendly. When I stay in a hotel, I always try to find the personality of the staff- makes me feel more comfortable while i am in a foreign city. A turn off was being charged a 25 Euro deposit to borrow an adapter. I would consider staying here again- but that is because I already know a bit about the city.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 September 2007

Expensive with a little twist to it. This hotel is run by hotel and catering students with supervision of course. With that comes some drawbacks as the service received for paying quite a lot does not add
up. However, because it is run by students, they tend to be careful and ever so obliging. We did not have any problems whatsoever.

The hotel itself is quite understated. It is located quite close to the city centre and the tram stop is only opposite the hotel. Getting
around was not difficult as Amsterdam is a walkable city. The hotel itself is difficult to locate if you have to find it yourself as there are no big signs. It was an old school but totally refurbished so it looks very up-to-date on the inside and very contemporary. The rooms are situated in a dark corridor with uplighters as the only light. The was on the top floor so the ceilings were vaulted. There was little natural light with a velux window on the highest floors. Dark woods are everywhere. The bedlinen were really comfortable and there is a turn down service every evening with chocolates. The bathroom was again very chic and modern. The floors were heated so there was no cold feet on the natural stone floors.

The restaurant was again run by students. Food was ok but service was poor for the price paid. Overall, a pleasant stay albeit a bit pricey.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business