“Good food, lack of service and attention. A poorly managed and maintained hotel”
Review of The College Hotel

The College Hotel
Ranked #161 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 14 October 2013

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 we visited the College Hotel to have a drink and a nice dinner. The service in the bar was very poor. No attention at all, so we went straight to the restaurant. We had to wait a little, but then we were welcomed by a very friendly young lady who helped us with our coats and showed us to the table. We did understand that students are trained at this hotel and overall the service was pleasant. The hotel and public area's are in need of a lot of maintenance. Many wood parts were chipped, floors dirty, curtains unhooked at the rails, damaged interior parts etc. A real shame as the interior is so beautifull!! The food was of a good standard at very reasonable prices. The music in the restaurant was of a poor quality. If this hotel would be better managed then it would be a great place to stay, to wine and dine etc.. We were very disappointed by the lack of knowledge of the English language by many staff members!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The College Hotel

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here last week on business.
As others have said there are lots of staff but most of them do not engage.
Breakfast is poor, coffee is good!
The person who appeared to be the manager at breakfast was extremely gruff, the staff member doing the work was fine but totally vacant. Like she was in a daze.
I bought a box of chocolates in Duty Free on the way over, they were wrapped in their own packaging and they were in a plastic bag, in my suitcase. My suitcase was closed but not zipped. Somehow a mouse managed to get in and nibble the box of chocolates. When I mentioned it to the staff that morning they were not too bothered so I guess they have heard this before.
The duvets on the beds are positioned between two sheets so when you wake up in the morning, everything has moved and you are touching the duvet, not very pleasant or hygenic. A little unusual I would say. I certainly have never seen a duvet simply positioned between two open sheets.
I paid 289Eur per night, thank goodness I was not paying the bill myself as this was in no way worth that price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Morrovalle
Reviewed 21 September 2013

College hotel is a boutique with very unique interiors. The rooms are big and nice and very different from the normal hotels worldwide. It is an easy 15 min walk to the bars and restaurants area. i would strongly recommend this hotel as my stay for was very good. the service is also very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Spent one night here in late August with work, hosting a group of 10 other guests. Was a nice change from the usual non-descript Intercontinental, Hilton or Westin, in what I assume used to be an old school or the like. It's a hotel that provides students with an opportunity to learn the hotelier trade, and it shows to a degree, but not in anyway that negatively affected my stay. In many ways, it actually made for a more interesting experience.

The room I stayed in was nice, although there was no writing desk and the bed was on a raised platform. Note-to-self - don't get up in the middle of the night with the lights off, and head to the bathroom forgetting there's a step down from the bed.

Was overall very good though, and would stay again, for business and/or pleasure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We enjoyed a 2 night stay at The College Hotel. The service was mostly good, although at times I discovered a certain lack of interest from the staff on Reception .
The room was comfortable , although a little dark , as were the corridors .
Our main complaint was that the lift was out of service for most of our stay and we were on the top ( ?3rd) floor and we had to carry our bags up to the room . I felt that help should have been offered.
On the night that we arrived we walked in to The restaurant and asked to eat ( without having booked ) and although they were fully booked they managed to accommodae us.The food was very good as was the setting and service.
However , on the second night , when we had friends joining us , I asked at Reception for a table in the Restaurant for 4 and they were unable to seat us and were not very helpful about finding a local alternative.
The Hotel is well located and we were able to find parking nearby .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Excellent choice & would highly recommend.
Standard double room (only choice from Easyjet) was satisfactory however would have preferred separate shower room rather than shower/toilet with sink located in closet in bedroom area. Corridors are very dark & would suggest lighting at each doorway.
Hotel was beautiful but as we were only there for three nights we didn't make full use of the facilities...weather was glorious so we were out & about most of the time.
I had requested a late check out but when I asked at reception I was abruptly told that we had to vacate the room by 12 noon.
When checking out later, the same stoney faced girl was going to bill me for a Mars Bar at €3, the only item I used from the minibar was the bottle opener! Receptionist was very dry & no apology made!
Fedback that although the room was satisfactory I would have preferred a bigger room...again very dry with no comment!
Thoroughly enjoyed Amsterdam and would definetly return to The College Hotel but would request an upgrade from the 'standard' double room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The College Hotel oozes cool without being overly posh or intimidating. The staff combining interns training besides seasoned professionals are extremely helpful and pleasantly mannered. Any concerns about having made the right choice of hotel were quickly brushed aside when I was checked into my upgraded room at 7am for no extra charge. What’s more the staff in designer black uniforms expertly helped me navigate the city’s tram lines, booked the museums and restaurants as well as offered very helpful advice on where to go and when…And that’s no easy task considering my mental inaccessibility to process directions on a map.
The rooms are spacious enough with comfortable fittings and modern design elements, a signature of European Boutique Hotels. A teakettle, some plates and basic cutlery was missing, but I guess the wonderful terrace dining area offered up a more picturesque experience. The bar staff were amicable and made you feel in the company of friends, although you couldn’t help but think why such a lovely space wasn’t better promoted. Heard great things about the fine dining restaurant, but after reviewing the steep set menu 3 course meal prices, I always wondered if having only a high-end restaurant on offer in a mid-range hotel was a little bit of a hindrance for the entire concept.
The hotel is a few minutes walk from the Museum Quarter and between the Van Gogh Museum, Reij Museum and Modern Art Museum, as well as Vondel Park, there’s so much to do, and as they say in Amsterdam no place is further than a 15 minute tram ride anyway. So all in all I had a delightfully surprising experience from the 19th century school building framework, to the kindness of the staff and reasonable prices when you compare to other far less interesting hotels. Also the area is less touristy and allows you for that balance between culture and craziness that defines modern Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Most rooms are well appointed and relatively quiet. I went for a Superior Room at the opposite side...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo