“Be Treated like Royalty”

Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 331 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Be Treated like Royalty”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This is most definitely the best 'home away from home' that I have ever stayed in. Peter's hospitality is exceptional. Think about having your own private bedroom and bathroom - and sharing a sitting room and kitchen with the occupants of only one other bedroom.
Don't forget to eat the treats the establishment puts in your refrigerator every afternoon!

Breakfasts will keep you going all day. Better still you can count on Peter doing double duty at the breakfast table to make sure your day unfolds just as you envisioned or better................advance tickets to museums, reservations for dinner, route maps and suggestions etc.............

My only caveate........if you are extemely allergic to, or fearful of, dogs this may not be the place for you. However, the boys are well behaved.

Vancouver Travel Gal

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank MCBH767

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This review is better late than never!!! We stayed for our first wedding anniversary and had the most amazing time. This was our second visit to Amsterdam but our first to Boogaards. There was no comparison to the bland over priced hotel that we first stayed in ..... Peter could not do enough for us without being overbearing. Breakfast was AMAZING!!! If I could type that bigger I would! The rooms were lovely and clean, and it was great to have a shared sitting area. I could go on and on about this place. This is the way it should be done!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stickybun1970
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were referred to Boogaard's by our son who had recently stayed here. He had very good things to say about the place, the owner and of course the great breakfasts. Boogaard's is situated very close to the train station on a very quiet street. Peter was very friendly and helpful and can he prepare a breakfast that is out of this world...you do not leave the table hungry . Boogaard's was kept very clean and tidy, the beds were very comfortable and the rooms very spacious. We have travelled Europe extensively and have stayed at some great B & B's but we would need to rate Boogaard's as one of the best! We also loved Amsterdam so plan to return and will certainly stay at Boogaard's!

3 Thank oldagnes
Jabail, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My husband and I booked a 3 night stay at Boogaard’s Bed and Breakfast in Amsterdam in June 2011 because of the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and this is the best place we have ever stayed.

Boogaard's B&B is a quick walk from Central Station, located on a very quiet and beautiful picturesque street, you can walk to most attractions, restaurants, museums, and shopping. If you don't want to walk there are tram stops close by.

The entire B&B is beautifully decorated. In the common sitting area, there was a small desk with a laptop for us to use during our visit. We stayed on the second floor. Our room was nice size with a superior quality Queen Size bed. We travel internationally 2 to 3 times a year and this was the absolute best sleep we have ever gotten. Our bathroom was so clean and had a great shower, a toilet and sink. Our room was cleaned and fresh towels put out every day. It was so wonderful to come home every evening to such a soothing and comforting room with delicious homemade snacks, cooked by our host, Peter and left in the sitting area

The host, Peter Boogaard, makes this B&B such a great place. He gave us a complete tour of his home and we enjoyed talking with Peter and instantly felt like we had been friends forever. Peter truely made us feel special, always willing to help us. Peter is passionate about cooking and his breakfasts are gourmet in quality. Every morning we could not wait to go see what Peter had cooked. He always had a great variety of foods on the table to choose from. You will not go hungry here. Peter will take care of your laundry if needed. He gave us tourist maps and brochures, and made excellent suggestions about things to do and places to go, he made phone calls to reserve restaurants. Boogard's is the Best of the Best of B&Bs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SandyJ86
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I was very surprised to read the view by Bubbavon from Canada who seems to have focused on the previous reviewers of Boogaard's as all being one-timers. That couldn't be further from the truth. My husband and I have stayed MANY times at Boogaard's, as have a number of the previous reviewers on Trip Advisor for this wonderful B&B.

Boogaard's deserves every accolade it has received from over 400 reviewers, and we will keep coming back...we visit Amsterdam regularly on both pleasure and business and would not stay anywhere else. Peter is one of the finest hosts we have ever met, and the lady who handles things if Peter is not present is an outstanding, hard-working, and pleasant person. She has been with Boogaard's for years.

To anyone planning to stay at Boogaard's, don't let the rantings of one person (some people are just complainers in general) affect the obvious fact that over 400 reviewers loved staying at this remarkable B&B...they can't all be wrong. We will continue to come back as long as Peter is in business!

4 Thank jeanranney
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2011

What previous reviewers have said about Boogard’s is true. To summarize,
• Great locations on a quiet street near the train station and all other attractions.
• Nice rooms and living spaces
• Great food at breakfast and snackl left in the common area daily
• Friendly staff
So other than that summary, I am not going to go into detail as many have already done so. We did not find everything as perfect though as the number 1 rating suggests. This is a nice B&B but not the nicest we have been to. On their bill they suggest going to Trip adviser and leaving feedback. Good for them being so trip adviser savvy it has served them well getting them to number 1, but that is also why you see so many 1 time reviewers of this property. It is also why they are likely number 1 and maybe with out warrant or at least without such vigorous endorsement.

Here are the negative things we experienced.
• We booked almost a year in advance. We were sent an email if we did not confirm with a credit card in 24 hours it would be cancelled. A standard practice especially in Europe, however we found this email a bit more threatening than most. Something I disregarded at the time but it became a theme. I confirmed with a credit card and no deposited was taken. I contacted them to confirm the status of the room and they said there credit card machine was broken and would be fixed soon. I contacted them periodically (every few months) to see if they were going to put the deposit through and their response was their machine was broken and will be fixed soon. Finally I needed to know if they were going to put it through as the date was a couple weeks away and contacted them again. If they were not going to put it through I had to have more Euros in cash so I could pay them. They said the machine was coming in a week and they would take the deposit. In the past year my credit card had been lost and forgot it was the one I given them nearly a year earlier. When a week later came they tried to put the deposit through and it was declined. They sent me an email that if I did not provide them with funds in 24 hours my room would be canceled. It seemed a bit harsh considering I had been in contact so many times trying to get them to put it through. I sent another email with my new info immediately. I heard nothing. Days past and we were about to embark on our trip which included going to another continent out of contact before arriving in Amsterdam. I emailed them asking for confirmation. I heard nothing. Then the next day a charge went through my credit card. The day after I got an email saying they charged us but no receipt was given. I emailed and asked for a receipt and was told I would get one in a few days by email. I never did.
• In the multiple emails I advised them as they had asked about my flights etc. I communicated this to them several times. The day before we arrived I was lucky enough to check emails and had an email from them stating they needed to know this info or I could lose my reservation. I sent it to them, but what would have happened if I didn’t? Are they serious that they would cancel my reservation and if they are not serious why would they say such a thing. I had advised them of all my info and told them I would not be in contact with them for 12 days prior as I would not have internet service yet I still got this threatening email.
• In the final email we were told not to arrive under any circumstance before 9:30am to drop bags off. Our flight landed at 6:30am. After an 11 hour over night flight we had to sit in an airport and wait till 9:30am. I do understand that they can not have people coming in too early. I get it. We asked earlier(in previous communication) if we could just simply open the door and leave our luggage. Not at 6:30am but even 8;30am etc. But we couldn’t. So this I understood to a degree, what upset me was when we arrived at 9:45am, we were told we could leave our luggage but would need to come back to check in. Peter said about 12:30am. Then asked if that was ok. I said 2:30pm would be better – or later as we had some things scheduled and 12:30 was not convenient. Peter then said we had no choice it had to be 12:30. So why offer us anything different? So after an 11 hour over night flight, a nearly 3 hour wait in the airport we now had to change our plans and hang around the area of the B&B to check in on their schedule. It really messed our day up.
• In general I found all email communication to be poor. Slow responses. If you asked 3 question only 1 or 2 were responded to.
• On check in Peter gives you the tour and the rules. Lots of rules and Peter admits he is anal about such things as when to arrive at breakfast. Yup he was! I have no issues with rules and in fact like them as you know the deal right up front. However the rules particularly with breakfast were contrived for Peter’s benefit not the guest. Peter does not serve breakfast till 9am. He stated nothing in Amsterdam is open till 10am. We found this to be untrue and suspect Peter is not an early bird thus the rule. Yes stores do not open till 10am but many attractions like museums and markets do open at 9am or earlier. It is also a great time to be out and avoid the crowds. Not only is the rule not before 9am but you have to say exactly when you will be at breakfast between 9am and 10am I.e. 9:20am.
• We skipped breakfast one day as this schedule was too inconvenient. The final day we had tickets to tour Ann Frank House at 9:30am. We asked if it was all possible to eat at 8:50am so we could make our tour. If not we said we understood but would then miss breakfast. We were told no problem (BTW Peter had to leave for family reasons and to that we are sorry. This was his help we were dealing with but still it did not go well). At 8:50 am we knocked on the breakfast room door. No answer, we waited as we were checking out and even if we skipped breakfast we had to have our luggage out of the room and in the breakfast area before we could leave for the day. At 9:10 other guests were waiting and we knocked harder on the door. Finally she (sorry I forget here name) arrived in pajamas and saying she had slept in. She was very apologetic and I wondered what Peter might do to her as she had broken a rule. We quickly left our luggage and ran to the tour and just made it. On our return we were given left over breakfast in a Ziploc for our trip. A nice gesture but we really did not want it.
• Finally the showers, Peter bragged how they were nice hot showers. They are but they are very sensitive to adjustment and the water is so hot you can scald yourself. When others use hot water it also happens. Granted it is a 400 year old house but you need to be careful.
A long review I know but thought the past reviews by 1 time reviewers to be a bit one-sided. Boogard’s is a fine, clean B&B and boasts good food in a good location. Don’t expect polite or timely emails, expect rules especially around breakfast, and watch the hot water in the shower. I did not mind this and expected it but if you don’t like steep stairs or are of ill health this is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Bubbavon
amterdam, Owner at Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
Dear Mr. Canadian,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are always willing to accept fair criticism because we try very hard to give a high standard of service so as to maintain the good reputation for which we have worked so hard over the years. Even seemingly trivial complaints are important to us because we want your stay with us and your trip to be memorable in a good and positive way.

I would however like to mention that we receive very few first time travelers; most of our guests are well-seasoned travelers and are certainly experienced enough to write a valid review--even if it is the first review they have written. To dismiss first time reviewers is is unfair and could even be considered arrogant. Most people don't 'sweat the small stuff' and only write reviews when they have had an exceptionally good experience or an unreasonably bad experience. I would also like to point out that we have several guests who keep coming back year-after-year, and some that come several times a year. They are like family to us. And I would suggest that the 400+ reviewers that have given us those high marks might be insulted by your dismissal of their ratings just because they were first-time reviewers. Since most of the positive reviews were by couples, who in many cases came with kids, one might argue that at least 800 to 1,000 people loved our B&B—not something to be dismissed.

There is always in my view room for improvement whether one is rated number one or not. Constructive criticism always has value but only when the facts are reported correctly.

I can understand your frustration over that fact that The Netherlands and other European countries have decided to upgraded to a new and more secure system to avoid credit card fraud. We too are frustrated by this, the slowness of our banks to adapt to the new regulation, or to research other options for small businesses. Nevertheless, we try hard to make the payment process as painless as possible. It is true in fact we hadn't taken your deposit and had several emails discussing the matter and you failed to mention that you updated to a new credit card throughout these email exchanges. When we were finally able to take your deposit after dealing with the new credit card regulations here, we asked that you send us updated credit card information within 48 hrs to secure your booking since it came back stolen. This all transpired on May 4, 2011, one month prior to your arrival. We confirmed that the deposit was taken on May 4th 2011, thanked you, and asked that you refer back to your welcome letter stating that the balance would be due upon arrival. Upon arrival, you received an accounting of your stay which included the deposit amount and that statement was marked clearly as your receipt at Boogaards. All emails with our clients are answered on a timely basis, and I address the impending clients' needs first. But I never fail to respond to emails for more than a day.

Our system generates two emails, one starting one month prior to your arrival, and one week before your arrival asking for updated arrival information. Many of our seasoned travelers arrive in Amsterdam early in the morning and rather than coming directly to the bed and breakfast, they store theirs bags at the train station, and begin to explore our beautiful city. In most cases, clients arrival times at our home change. Nowhere do I state that we would cancel your reservation if I didn't receive this information, and nor you did receive an email the day before arrival as you have stated. We already had establish your arrival time of 9.30 a.m. a month before. What I did state clearly is that if we didn't receive this information, that there might be a chance I would not be home when your arrived. One other thing you should be aware of: nothing here opens until 10.00 am. as far as shops, food establishments, etc.

It is very unlikely that I would ever demand or be unreasonable about the time that you should come back to the B and B to check in since you arrived before our standard check in time. I do state to every client that if you make a commitment to a specific arrival time to return that you honor that time frame. Knowing that you had an overnight flight and were anxious to begin sightseeing, I simply offered an earlier check-in time then the standard time of 2.00 p.m. I remember that you wanted to do something and was quite vague about the time you wanted to return, so I suggested a time to return that might work for you.

When you were ready, you came back and checked in. Our check-ins are quite detailed as you recall, and I offer lots of suggestion of places to eat, to visit and simply to hang out. This process takes up to thirty minutes and I spend time going over the free map of Amsterdam we provide to insure guests know where things are, how to use the transportation system, and where to buy tickets. I am proud of our home and gave you a short history of our home. Something else that we offer all of our guest when they check in early are extra towels so that can take showers after their long journey, and we ask if they have any laundry needing to be washed, which we had ready the next day for you. And we always ascertain what time is suitable for breakfast. Once again, we never heard you complain about the arrival or breakfast times.

Like many other top-rated bed and breakfasts, we receive guests after a certain time in the morning so as not to interrupt existing house guests having breakfast with us. We try our very best to accommodate everyone and meet there schedules. You have stated that nothing came to you as a surprise because all is clearly stated on our website, in our confirmation welcome letter, and in our arrival information emails.

All establishments like ours have some rules and they are quite simply for your peace of mind and safety among other things: politeness and courtesy to your floor mates; to lock all the doors when leaving the building; no smoking in our four hundred-year home; and please for your own benefit be reasonably on time for breakfast. I pride myself on making clients happy...and one of my chances is at breakfast. I prepare a different homemade warm breakfast daily. I kid with all my clients that I grew in a Dutch military house hold and that I am somewhat anal when it comes to the time you set for breakfast . You the guest can set the time when you want your breakfast served from 9:00 a.mm to 10 or 10:30 a.m. (and you can change this daily to meet your needs).

This is a pretty standard breakfast time give or take a half an hour for most bed and breakfasts and small hotels. I rise early each day to prepare breakfast and await our guests. Hundreds of Trip Advisor reviews have stated that breakfast is a delight at Boogaard's, as well as the baked goods made especially for our guests for their afternoon snacks. Because I knew that I needed to travel because of sick family member, I made the time to specially bake cupcakes, several different types of other cakes for your stay, breakfast sweets, bread pudding, sausage rolls, quiches and offer each client a free bottle of proseco to make sure our guests have a great experience while I was away.

Because we are dealing with very sick and aging parent and grandparents, and that we cannot always be present in our own home, I rely on and know that our staff will treat you with the most utmost respect and make your stay with us as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Once again, it is unfortunate that you couldn't enjoy your breakfast but truth be told Wilma was on time you arrived earlier than what was agreed upon 8.50 am because you were anxious to get your day started and store your bags. Yes, the door was close but not lock , Wilma wasn't wearing pajamas and had a towel in her hand from drying her hands. You requested to have breakfast a little earlier then other guests and schedule it for ten minute to nine. You arrived five minutes earlier and the quiches weren't quite finished.

The table was ready to receive guests and there were plenty of other choices on the table for breakfast while your quiches were finishing cooking (they only needed five more minutes). Coffee and tea were ready as were fresh fruit, yogurt, cereals, fresh-baked bread, cheeses and fresh bake coffee cake...all on the table. There were no other persons waiting except for a french guest smoking outside on the bench in front of the windows having her coffee which Wilma supplied before 9.00 am

I am quite surprised at your attitude since we discussed this matter of the Ann Frank house on January 24, 2011 via email. You stated your flight wasn't until late afternoon and wanted to know if we could store your luggage, and if the Ann Frank was a good option after breakfast. I sensed that breakfast was an issue for you ( since you asked several times) and re-stated that we begin serving breakfast at 9.00 a.m. and not earlier. Why booked a tour knowing that there might not be enough time for both activities. Our house-keeper tried her very best to accommodate your needs, and felt terrible that you didn't stay to have breakfast after all! Wilma recall clearly that your were very appreciative that she packed the quiches made for you, fresh bake rolls, cheese, juice packets and sweet buns so that you could enjoy them later on.

If any of these issues had been raised during check-in I would have been able to find other solutions in order to make your stay with us a better one. For example your Ann Frank tickets were for 9.30 a.m. according to your statements and I would have pointed out the you have a half an hour window to enter the house; so that the latest you could have entered the Ann Frank house was 10.00 am. giving you ample time to enjoy your warm breakfast with the other guests. Breakfast to go would have been another option (a lovely sandwich, and piece of fruit, homemade bread pudding and juice for example.)

In short, we do have a few house rules that are not unreasonable and that are not for our 'convenience' as you have incorrectly surmised. Trial and error over the past 10 years has made very clear what works for the vast majority of our guests and what doesn't work. I am sorry you found them to be cumbersome but clearly the other 400+ reviewers did not find them to be unreasonable or difficult to abide by.

I hope your future travels will not be so fraught with angst over little things. There are so many truly wonderful experiences to be had in a city like Amsterdam, and our hundreds of testimonials demonstrate that we at Boogaard's typically go out of our way to make our guests' experience here a thoroughly enjoyable one.

With best regards,

Peter Boogaard
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2011

We recently returned from a 4 night stay with Peter and simply want to report that the glowing reviews in TripAdvisor are not exaggerated. The location is perfect and the rooms, sitting and breakfast areas are very comfortable and nicely decorated. Most importantly, Peter, is an amazing and gracious host. He very quickly made you feel like a member of his family. He gives very sound advice( we ate at 4 of the restaurants he recommended and they were all excellent. He is a fantastic cook and this is evident by his scrumptious breakfasts and afternoon home-made desserts to indulge in after a hard day of sight-seeing and adventures. We can not imagine staying in any other place in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms so make sure you make reservations.