“Top ratings well deserved”

Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 343 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Boogaards B&B was just as good as we had been led to believe from the reviews. Excellent location on a quiet street in the historic canal district within walking distance of the station. Our room on the second floor was a little small with no closet space, just a hat stand, but beautifully decorated and with comfortable beds, and a well designed shower room. The shared living room was delightfully cozy and equipped with TV, computer, a small kitchen with ample snacks. The round table breakfasts were fabulous and entertaining, given the interesting company and the effervescent owner Peter. The included laundry service was especially appreciated.
Be aware that the building is tall and narrow, with four floors. There are 2 bedrooms on each of the second and third floors with a living room in between. The stairs are very narrow and steep and, although comfortably carpeted, could be a problem for those who have difficulty with stairs. We were given lots of welcome help with luggage both up and down.
Peter, who is bilingual in Dutch and English, was exceptionally helpful with information about the city.
There may be cheaper B&Bs in Amsterdam but I doubt you'll find a better one!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jannamarie

Reviewed 25 July 2011

When my husband and I looked for B&B accomodation in Amsterdam a couple of months before our recent trip to Europe, Boogaard's B&B rooms were already full. However, since one floor of their gorgeous home has now been converted into a self-catering apartment, we decided to book that. We are glad we did, and happy to recommend it to other travellers.

After arriving at 9:30 on a Sunday morning, we were able to leave our luggage and head out exploring Amsterdam. The apartment was ready as promised when we returned in the afternoon. Everything was as described on Boogaard's website, except better! This is "self-catering" with lots of frills. The fridge was stocked with cold cuts, cheese, yummy Dutch yoghurt, milk, juice and even beer. Cereal, bread, coffee, tea ... everything we needed for breakfast, was in the cupboard. A delicious homemade cake awaited our arrival, which was followed by another a couple of days later. The fully equipped kitchen included a new bistro-style coffee maker. Wilma, the housekeeper, even did our laundry, which was greatly appreciated after our two weeks of travel.

There are two bedrooms in this apartment, each with its own ensuite bathroom, providing great accomodation for two couples travelling together, or a family with older children. We travelled alone and had the Boxer room, at the back of the house. It was spacious and nicely furnished with a dresser, desk, wardrobe and TV with DVD player, comfortable bed with lots of pillows, spotless bathroom with a great shower and fresh towels daily. Being in the back of the house, this room overlooks other houses close by, as all of these very old homes are built side by side. However, we had lots of light from the big windows and were comfortable leaving them open. It was very quiet and private during our four day stay.

And then we come to the reasons we choose to stay in people's homes ... like this one ... instead of impersonal, chain hotels. The cozy living room had comfortable seating and lots of lamps for reading. A laptop computer was provided, with free Internet access. Guidebooks and other reading materials were on a shelf beside the stereo and CD's. Artwork and memento's of Peter's singing career hang on the walls and sit here and there around the place. Peter himself is friendly and helpful, and tells interesting stories of his days in New York theatre. He was even kind enough to show us around the house (beautiful!) and tell us the story of how Boogaard's B&B came to be.

Last but not least, Boogaard's is very conveniently located close to the central train station and lots of shops and restaurants, with art galleries, museums and other things of interest only a short ride away on easy to use public transit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank seeingtheworld08
amterdam, Owner at Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear Reviewer from BC

I personally want to thank you for taking the time in writing about your stay at Boogaard's in Amsterdam. We truly appreciate you thoughtfulness in doing so!
Hopefully our paths will cross again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

We wnt to Amsterdam for three nights and we stayed with David,our host....Then the last day we met Peter.
We were four couples from Buenos Aires,Argentina.My husband Pancho and me were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and it was our first time in Europe.
We had such a fantastic time......We went to many cities and as we were many(8 people) we rented apartments because it was cheaper,but in Amsterdam and Brugges,we decided to go to a nice B and B.,so we chose this great place!! It was SO good!!!!! We had excellent nice rooms,everything perfect,David our host was SO nice,the breakfasts were SO SO good,and hospitality and kindness were fabulous.I really enjoyed it so much,we had a living room next to our bedrooms all for ourselves.,everything was perfect,then we met Peter,he kindly gave me an speculous(dont know if I write it well) because I liked it so much !!!! Then in London,in the airport they confiscated it because I didnt put it in the luggage,I took it with me in my handbag and it was forbidden....so i HAVE to go back to Amsterdam again....and of course to this excellent place ,where you feel at hole all the time...and the cofee.....guau so good....I highly reccomend it to everybody!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer from Brazil

Our family and staff want to personally thank you for taking the time in writing about your stay at Boogaard's apartment in Amsterdam. We truly appreciate you thoughtfulness in doing so!
Hopefully our you and your friends will return for another visit to our beautiful city and country.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I thought the house-keeping staff were all excellent! Very quiet room, the bed is very confortable. The hotel is very nice. Very good location, close to the city center and to the central station.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank googydavid

Dear Reviewer from England.

I personally want to thank you for taking the time in writing about your stay at Boogaard's.
We truly appreciate you thoughtfulness and I hope on your next visit to us that we can achieve a five star rating from you.

Reviewed 18 July 2011

My husband and I came to stay here for a romantic weekend away. I chose this B&B because of all of the fantastic reviews and we were most definitely not disappointed. Peter was very welcoming and helpful. He was great at advising where to go and places to eat. Breakfast every morning was amazing, one day it was pancakes with loads of different toppings and the next morning was quiches, all delicious. Plus he made lovely pastries and treats, which he left in the kitchen area. This area was really well set up with tea, coffee and drinks in the fridge. The room was also really nice and clean.

No complaints at all! The B&B is excellently located. It is very close to the train station, perfect when arriving from the airport.

We had a great stay, Thanks Peter.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer from London,

We here at Boogaards want to personally thank you for taking the time in writing about your romantic weekend get away in Amsterdam. We truly appreciate your thoughtfulness in doing so and we are extremely happy that you enjoyed yourselves so very much!
Hopefully you will cross the big pond and visit us again in the near future!

Reviewed 13 July 2011

I have never provided review comments concerning any destination or accommodation associated with our vacations. However, my wife and I did spend a few days at a Bed & Breakfast in Amsterdam in mid June 2011 which was a very pleasant experience and well worth advising others about. From June 16th to June 19th we stayed at Boogaard’s B&B located at Langestraat 34, Amsterdam.

Typically, I enjoy planing our trips and usually look for accommodations, which comply with certain important factors and provide at least four significant benefits. First the facility must be located near public transportation as we usually try to utilize the local bus or subway systems. Secondly, my wife and I have different preferences for the firmness of our beds, my preference is for a relatively firm mattress and she prefers a softer less firm mattress. The third factor includes English speaking staff, as we are not multilingual and greatly appreciate being able to easily obtain guidance about local attractions and accommodations for convenient and or inexpensive local travel options. And finally the accommodations need to fit into our budget.

We found Boogard’s satisfactorily met all of these factors. We were easily able to travel from the airport into Amsterdam via bus to a nearby bus station (Marnistraat) and continue on to Boogaard’s via taxi as there were waiting at a rank at the bus station. However, several other hotels or B&Bs would also be so accommodating as the public transportation services in Amsterdam are quite extensive and convenient. When we finally departed Amsterdam, at the end of our stay, we simply walked from Boogaard’s to the nearby Central Rail station roughly 8 blocks (I estimate 2,400 feet) where we took a train directly to the Schiphol airport.

We stayed in the Jack Russell room and fortunately the bed was firm enough to be comfortable for me but the mattress was padded well enough so that it was not uncomfortable for my wife. I will also say that they provide several pillows on the bed and if you are unable to find one that is comfortable you probably would not be satisfied no mater where you stay whether in a B&B or a major hotel.

When we arrived, Peter greeted us at the door. We found he spoke excellent English and was a wealth of information. He provided valuable information about the local attractions as well as the public transit system.

There are other significant amenities that you can read about by other reviewers. I will point out that Peter and his staff are very accomplished at two significant tasks, cooking and cleaning. The accommodations were cleaned and serviced on a daily basis and the breakfasts were excellent. I doubt that you will ever leave the breakfast table unsatisfied. In addition, he provided a laundry service, at no additional charge. And as we had been away from home for more than a week by the time we arrived in Amsterdam our luggage was carrying more dirty clothes than clean. His offer to launder our cloths was greatly appreciated.

Although I have stayed in B&Bs here in the United States during business travel, this was my wife’s first experience of staying at a B&B. My problem now is that my wife will expect all B&Bs we may stay at in the future to be as nice as Boogaard‘s.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WalkerR_11

Dear Reviewer from Kansas.

We are so glad that you and your wife enjoyed yourselves here at Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast.
I am glad that you made it back safe to your home and I hope that your horses survived your being away! Sir, I personally want to thank you for taking the time in writing about your stay in our home. We truly appreciate you thoughtfulness in doing so and I hope that one day our paths will cross again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

It is comforting to stay with a caring host. The accomodations were great and Peter helped make our stay a delight with suggestions and directions to ease visiting the city. .

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple