Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$195
US$208
  • Room Service
US$364
  • Restaurant
WestCord City Centre Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$278
US$239
US$194
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$335
US$237
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspug roomb bpeter boogaardquiet streetother guestsevery morningsmall kitchenyogurtinternet accessthe location is perfecta wonderful staydam squarecoffee makertrain stationbeautiful roomsteep stairsthe heart of the city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Amsterdam and I must say that our 6-night stay at Boogard's at their new location on Pieter Jacobszstraat made our vacation more special and memorable. Peter really went out of his way to cater to our needs and make sure we were enjoying our stay in his lovely city. It was very evident that Peter enjoys sharing his home with guests and providing the best service at his B&B. He extends you the warmest welcome, like you're a distant relative he's trying to get to know better. Peter even gave us souvenir gifts to take home with us, really sweet!
I will definitely recommend to my family and friends to stay nowhere else but Boogard's when traveling to Amsterdam. Here are my reasons why:
1. Service
Peter was such a gracious host. Despite other personal matters that needed his immediate attention, he made sure our needs were taken care of. Upon arrival, there were chocolate covered cream puffs and muffins for us to snack on after a long flight. The mini fridge is always well stocked with beer and soda.
Every breakfast was different and very delicious - we had Dutch pancakes with 20 toppings and home made apple compote and fresh bananas one day, then two different kinds of quiche the next day, freshly-baked croissants, apple turnovers and bread the following day... and everyday there was cereal and yogurt, jams, fresh fruit, great coffee and orange juice. When you return at the end of the day, there is baked treat waiting for you - an apple brioche, mocha cake, etc. He also takes time to chat with you at the end of the day, ask how your day went and what your plans are for the next day.
Peter would also give us tips and advice on the best way of getting around to the places we wanted to visit. His tips on the best places to have dinner were all spot on. He provided several maps and Amsterdam travel guides in the room. There are also umbrellas for you to use in case it rains. There are so many little touches that Peter thought of - such as providing a complete set of toiletries, a hair dryer, and even a night light in the bathroom.
2. Value
The breakfasts were so filling that we were kept full all the way through dinner. That saved us money because we didn't need to eat out for lunch. We would take some of the baked goods from the previous day so we can snack in the afternoon while walking in Vondelpark or while on a trip to Keukenhof or Zaanse Schans. He gave us a bottle of Prosecco and cheeses, sausage, prosciutto and olives which we can take for a picnic or simply snack on at night. You definitely get more than your money's worth if you stay at Boogard's.
3. Sleep Quality
We stayed in the Pug room which is the right size for me and my husband. The queen size bed was very comfortable with lots of big pillows which I love. If you're the type who can't have enough pillows, this will fit the bill.
4. Cleanliness
The B&B was recently renovated, very clean. You get daily cleaning services. Peter even had our laundry done for free!
5. Location
The B&B is located on a quiet street, just off Nes, a block away from lively Damstraat, 2 blocks from Dam Square, and a 10 minute walk to Centraal Station. The Red Light district is several blocks away, but you don't really notice it when walking to and from the B&B. You can take many alternate streets if you feel the need to avoid the Red Light district.
6. Rooms
We stayed in the Pug room which had a comfortable sitting area by the window, a TV, and computer. There is free wifi, which is great. After a long day of walking around Amsterdam, we would take drinks from the mini-fridge, or make coffee from the mini bar area and sit in the bedroom while snacking on a new baked treat Peter prepared for us while catching up on the days' news on TV. The room had big bright windows facing the street. There are window shades and heavy curtains for privacy.
Nobody does it like Boogard's B&B - just book your stay here and it will definitely surpass all your expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank attycmf
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I picked Amsterdam as my FIRST trip to Europe and was told that the only true way to get the complete experience was to stay at Boogaards! All I can say is "WOW!". They were right! Despite traveling 4000 miles to Amsterdam, they made me feel right at home from the moment I walked through the door.

The Jack Russell suite was more than comfortable for the two of us AND our two big suitcases, and carry-ons. The extended space with a desk and lamp was a nice touch. It proved more than helpful when organizing all of our maps and accessing the free wi-fi and lap top. There were plenty of outlets that kept our phones and cameras charged. The extra long dresser allowed us to unpack our suitcases and make good use of the generous drawer space. Two comfy leather chairs sit in front of the fireplace and really provided a nice place to set a cup of tasty coffee, snack on a quick breakfast muffin and plan the day!

It is located in the heart of it all! A short 10 minute walk to Central Station and only a hop skip and a jump to Dam Square. From there, your options are endless! The local Tram literally takes you from one end of the city to the other where you can absolutely get lost in the beauty of the city's museums, open air markets and canal front bistros. The location couldn't be better! Boogard's is a soft spot to land after a long day of sight seeing, wine/cheese tasting and canal touring.

I had looked at many other B&Bs in the area and honestly, I would never stay anywhere but Boogards. Thank you Peter and Thomas, and Curly and Pepe for making my first time a memorable one. I promise to be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine H
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I traveled to Amsterdam with my 16 yr old son for his spring break. We returned to Boogaard's Bed and Breakfast after having a wonderful stay there last year. In the meantime, Peter bought and built a new bed and breakfast. The location could not be more central to all that Amsterdam offers. You'll find the trams less than 5 minutes walk from the B&B. The Jordaan is about 10 minutes walk. There are restaurants galore closeby. Peter offers restaurant recommendations based on your preferences and we have not gone wrong following those recommendations. The B&B rooms are on the 2nd floor and you will walk up a flight of stairs, typical of any old Amsterdam home, but Peter is more than happy to carry your bags for you. The decor is beautiful. He has thought of everything to make your stay enjoyable. Each room even has its own laptop so you can leave yours at home! Once again, the breakfasts were "to die for". He is a wonderful cook, uses fresh local ingredients for cooking. You will enjoy typical Dutch breakfasts, yum!!! I'll be back!

Room Tip: Jack Russell room overlooks rooftops, Pug room overlooks street view. Jack Russell room also has a small extra room where computer and bureau is located. Street is VERY quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pata52
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I recently traveled for work to Amsterdam March 8th-16th and was so incredibly happy to stay with Peter and Thomas at their new place! I have stayed several times with them at their old address and was a bit unsure as to how I would like the new place but from the moment I stepped in the door I knew our stay would be nothing less than amazing..... and it was!!

The B&B is near the Dam Square but by the noise level-day and night- you would NEVER know it. SO very quiet and peaceful. The house itself was done with meticulous detail - beautiful craftsmanship and so well thought out! This is not surprising since Peter is wonderfully conscientious of every little detail, from the bedding, to the decor, to the much appreciated touches of leaving you snacks and beverages in your fridge (he pays attention to what you eat and always makes sure you are stocked!). The bedroom we took was the JRT room, and it was more than spacious- lots of room for 2 who always overpack! The bathroom was incredible- always clean and always fresh towels that smelled like they just came from the dryer. There is of course the great company of Peter and the boys (2 lovely terriers who you will fall in love with)- Peter is a wealth of information, and sent us to many of our new favorite places in the city! Overall I truly can't recommend this place enough - for fun, for work, for any reason you should find yourself fortunate enough to be in the great city of Amsterdam! Stay with Peter and Boogaards and you will NOT be disappointed-- in fact, you will likely find yourself hating to leave! I look forward to my stay here at Boogaard's next year!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had read so much about Peter's amazing breakfasts that was a bit disappointed when, after sending an enquiry about the B&B, Peter informed me that it was booked out, but that the apartment was available. After much deliberating my friends and I (we were two couples travelling together) decided to book the apartment; at least that way we could be together, but still have the added bonus of having our own room with private ensuite.

After spending the few weeks beforehand shopping at the German Christmas markets we had some serious, heavy luggage, but found that it was a very easy and pleasant walk to the B&B from the train station. It was almost NYE and Amsterdam was a mad house, teeming with people, but as soon as we turned into the street that Boogaards is on it was as though we had entered a little tunnel of tranquility. The location of the apartment is second to none.

Peter's welcome was out of this world. He is a full on, passionate, kind fellow with a big personality and a big heart (and as we found out upon departure, great big bear hugs to boot!). Upon arrival he explained everything about the apartment (which had thoughtful, festive touches in the way of lovely Christmas decorations) and also showed us his living quarters upstairs. He is obviously very proud of the home and so he should be; the restoration of the old building is very impressive.

Peter stressed that he was always available should we ever need him, but he was never intrusive. He encouraged us to join him for coffee downstairs whenever we wanted to, but unfortunately we never got around to it. Nonetheless he managed to share his amazing life story with us, a story that is really worth listening to.

The apartment was spotless and the bed and bedding was so comfortable that I wanted to sleep all day long. Although our room faced the street it was very quiet.

Peter had stocked the fridge with sparkling wine, beer, cheese, meat, eggs and other breakfast goodies so that we could make our own breakfasts (which we did every morning). He also left us some cupcakes and some home made tiramisu (and whipped cream in the fridge!) which was just awesome. The apartment also allowed us to self cater for dinner - it was actually really nice to have the little kitchen available and we certainly made the most of it. Peter suggested some nearby restaurants; we had dinner at "Seasons" which was mind blowingly good (at that stage the best restaurant of our month long trip, only surpassed by L'Ange 20 in Paris a few days later)...

I could wax lyrical about Boogaard's - it is certainly one of the best B&B's I have ever stayed in and I simply cannot recommend it highly enough. The level of service that Peter offers is very rare indeed and he deserves every single one of the accolades on Tripadvisor. Don't even consider staying anywhere else if you're planning a visit to Amsterdam... Boogaard's is the best of the best!

Thank you so much Peter for your incredible hospitality. Wishing you health and every happiness for the future!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends