“like staying at your untidy cousin's house”

PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #145 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
duesseldorf
“like staying at your untidy cousin's house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

it looked lived-in, but not in the good way. laundry from the owner was in the machine the entire stay (three nights.) the kitchen was clean-ish but the bathroom could have been more tidy. it wasn't bad and it wasn't expensive but i won't be returning.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank angrylilazngrl
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 August 2009
Dear Guests,

We always make it appoint that before you check in the whole houseboat is clean. It's up to my guests to maintain the cleanliness of my Houseboat during their stay . It's just like your 2nd home and you have to keep my houseboat organize.

Actually I didn't complain at all because when we arrived in the houseboat to check and to clean the place it was totally messed and filty. I don't know what did you do ? But again I never complain because it's part of my business anyway.

PhilDutch Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

We found Phildutch on a website and encouraged by the reviews we read (including those in Trip Advisor), we contacted them through the website. The owner, Efren sent a reply stating the boat was free on the dates we wanted and that he was extending a special "countryman" discount (since he is Filipino and we are too). He asked for credit card details which he said would secure the reservation.
We replied immediately with the needed credit card facts and details of our flight arrival. This was some weeks back. We were then secure in the thought that we had firm reservations and have been planning our trip since then.
A few days ago, we wrote again to ask Efren if he could secure another houseboat for friends of ours who were joining us on the trip and LO AND BEHOLD... he writes back to say "Hi? Did you make a reservation because the dates are not available"
Well -- after reading that review of dotbaille about not having the houseboat confirmed when she and her family arrived in Amsterdam ... I thought I would write about my particular experience with Efren.
Apparently, he is quite disorganized to say the least, he defintely does not have a reservations system or is just plain unprofessional. I sympathize with dotbaille as it must have been horrible to all of sudden not have the rooms you thought you had reserved on the day that you get there -- with your whole family in tow.
So -- for those of you who might be taken in by the glowing reviews of Phildutch houseboat, I suggest you look for a more professional and organized owner or your vacation might be almost ruined, as in my case, or worse, completely thrown off whack as in dotbaille's case!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nonnapn
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
Indeed I always give a big discount not only because you're Filipino.

I'm sorry about my E-mail asking you if your booked with us because I thought it's another person again looking for another place?

If you received the confirmation letter meaning your officially booked with us and no need to ask again the availability. My apology for misunderstanding.

With regards to your friends houseboat to stay.. I'm not in the position to give you another houseboat because I have only one houseboat.

About the bad review of another french family. Honestly they're not officially booked. They called last minute and I told them to E-Mail me so that I can send the confirmation letter together with the direction of the place but they didn't E-Mail me.

Anyway I'm so sorry about the miscommmunication between us.

God Bless.

PhilDutch
France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

I booked by email and confirmed by phone for us (2 adults and 2 young children), but when we arrived in Amsterdam, lost at 8.30 PM (I've of course precised we would be a bit late), Ephren has just taught us that our boat was no longer available! He proposed to go into a B & B unaffordable, and situated in a street that seems "inappropriate" for children... The mishap has come to an end at the campsite at 10 PM, children crying for not having slept on the boat.
Thank you Ephren for this unforgettable stay!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank dotbaille
I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding... but you're not officially booked with us because last minute you made a telephone call and I told you that you will be officially book only if you E-Mail me and you got my confirmation letter.

I've been waiting for your e-mail so that I can send you the confirmation letter but I didn't received anything from you.

You made a telephone call that your on your way to my place but unfortunately I already booked the houseboat to another guests.

I offered another apartment of my friend also in the center but you refused my offer and you did not call again. I also even offered a big discount just incase you want to stay and I even told you that your 2 children are free of charge.

Again you're not officially booked with us.

Anyway, please accept my apology.

PhilDutch
RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

Excellent stay at Efren's houseboat! A previous well written review by Lctricity on May 17, 2009 sums up anything I could add. We rented the entire houseboat. You will not be disappointed staying at the PHILDUTCH houseboat! My family loved our stay here, especially the ducks and swans and the location! Keep up the good work Efren!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
heibloem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

My sister and I stayed for two nights at the PhilDutch houseboat. The location is great as it provides easy access to the city centre and yet it is on a quiet street so it was very peaceful at night for sleeping. There is a boat dock within a few minutes walk where you can book the famous canal boat cruises and the Rijks museum is within easy walking distance. Amsterdam can be a very expensive place to stay, but the houseboat was reasonably priced and allowed the convenience of cooking on location. Matt who met us was extremely charming as are all Philippinos. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a unique and comfortable stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank granvesuvio
Amsterdam April/May 2006
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

Our stay on Efren's wonderful houseboat was far and away the best experience of our six trips to Amsterdam. If for no other reason than not having to deal with the dreaded "dutch stairs", also known as ladders. More on that later...

To be honest we had reservations about booking a "Bed & Breakfast". We hold our privacy very dear and sharing quarters with strangers while on Holiday is not an option for us. Efren assured us that we would have the entire houseboat to ourselves for the duration of our stay and we did. Perfect! Efren offered to come by and clean during our stay but we opted to take care of things ourselves. Efren stopped by once to check his mail and we did not see him again until right at 11:30am on our departure day. Total respect for privacy.

The houseboat is cozy, comfortable, clean and located in a relatively quiet and centrally located area of the city. The bathroom and tub are as stated in other reviews, luxurious and spacious, epsecially for a houseboat. Among the other amenities, the washer and dryer were priceless and really saved us from having to over pack.

The kitchen offers everything you could want including a stove/oven, microwave, refrigerator, freezer, coffee maker and toaster. We enjoyed shopping at the local Albert Cuyp Markt and preparing our meals at "home". It really lends to the sense of experiencing life as a "local". There are also a couple of great Organic Markets very close by. Thanks for the tips aaron_in_sf!

In reference to some of the poor reviews on this site we did not find issues with the toilet overflowing into the bathtub. We did not find the houseboat untidy or unclean. Garbage pickup is only on Tuesday and Friday so we did keep our garbage on the terrace, as well as recycled glass. There is plenty of space on the terrace as well as a garbage can. The internet ready laptop was in full working order but the screen had been damaged by a previous guest. Not an issue for us. The neighborhood was quiet and charming.

The biggest life saver of our stay on the boat was that we had no stairs to deal with. My wife had a minor bike accident a few days into our stay and injured her foot. Suffice it to say that the houseboat was the perfect place for her to recoup. She enjoyed the wonderful view, the internet ready laptop, a great stereo, land line phone and of course the beautiful terrace. She also enjoyed the nice collection of Amsterdam related books on offer, specifically a guide to Customs & Etiquette of Holland which was quite enlightening.

BTW, the stereo system has line-in capabilities so a person can use there iPod rather than bringing a ton a CD's with them.

As charming as houseboat itself is, the ducks that inhabit the area around the boat add a finishing touch to the experience. Right off the terrace there was actually a nest with eggs, complete with Mom and Dad Duck (Daisey & Frank). So we were sharing their home as well and kept them well feed. Life on the canal is an amazing experience. Not to mention Queensday. The whole experience seemed to come to us as we kicked back on the terrace and dining table.

Above all else? Efren is the most gracious host we've ever had the pleasure of dealing with during our travels to Amsterdam. His customer service skills are top notch. Always just a phone call away and willing to help with anything you may need. For anyone considering his services, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks again for the wonderful experience Efren. We look forward to seeing you and enjoying your wonderful houseboat again next year!

Included are some pictures of the houseboat and surroundings from our recent stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lctricity
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

We recently returned from a glorious stay in Amsterdam where we stayed on the Phildutch houseboat. This was our sixth time in Amsterdam and our first staying on a houseboat. We had read the great reviews on TripAdvisor, but we still did not know what to expect. We arrived in Amsterdam about two hours early and Efren was not at the houseboat but a neighbor volunteered to call him and Efren arrived within five minutes. We apologized for being early but Efren said it was no problem. Efren takes great pride in his houseboat and his enthusiasm is contagious. He showed us around the houseboat and answered all of our questions. We left for lunch and when we returned the refrigerator was filled with cheese and meats and there were two loafs of bread (one loaf for the ducks). During our five night stay, he replenished the food in the refrigerator and brought more fresh bread. Efren left us a note informing us if we needed anything else to just call him.
The boat is spacious and our favorite spot was at the dining room table where we could watch the boats go by and open the window to feed the different birds (ducks, pippens, and swans). Efren had fresh flowers in the dining area, the bedroom, and the bathroom. The bathroom was huge, not like most bathrooms in Europe which are usually very tiny. Plenty of towels and hot water. The kitchen is fully equipped and we made many meals in it. We shopped at Albert Cuyp market (a few blocks away) and the Albert Hein supermarket (across the canal). The bedroom included a small refrigerator that also had beer which you could buy for 2 Euros, based on the honor system. The beds were very comfortable with huge down comforters. We fell asleep almost immediately after hitting the pillows every night. Efren keeps a supply of tourist brochures and tourist handbooks (Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc), so if you do not have an itinerary, you can drink your coffee in the morning and plan your day.
In the mornings, we often had our coffee out on the terrace of the houseboat. When the tourist boats would pass by, you could tell by the expression on their faces that they wish they were in our shoes.
The houseboat is very easy to get to. From Amsterdam Central you can take the 16 or 24 tram and get off at the Heineken Brewery. From there it is a short walk (1/8 of a mile) to the houseboat. Staying on the houseboat really made us feel like Dutch natives and we would recommend staying here if you can. We go to Amsterdam often and Phildutch houseboat is now our first choice for accommodations. Ken and Bernadette from Chicago.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple