“Most Fabulous stay on PhilDutch”

PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #141 of 229 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Seattle
“Most Fabulous stay on PhilDutch”
Reviewed 27 September 2010

My husband and I spent 6 nights on Efren's boat, we had the whole boat to ourselves and it was wonderful.

This boat has everything you can think of, my favorite is the bathtub with a window out to the canal and the kitchen. We cooked most nights with the wonderful fish and goodies found at Albert Cyup Market just over the canal. Along with the Albert Hein grocery you have everything within in walking distance of the boat.

It is a fabulous location just a few tram stops to central Amsterdam, but since we have been to Amsterdam many times we chose to stay in the De PIjp neighborhood and we found it had absolutely everything we wanted and found it a bit cheaper as well.

I would not hesitate to recommend this houseboat to friends or family. There have been some negative reviews recently on this site but we found that Efren is a wonderful host and if you look at the percentage of satisfied customers in comparison to the negative its not an issue.

We will be back for sure!!! Thanks Efren!!!

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
Reviewed 5 September 2010

With respect to earlier comments on booking procedure, use due diligence, read the information and contact Efren directly. He responded immediately to my phone call and I had a confirmed reservation almost immediately after. He then again responded to my follow up email a week before our visit and phoned the day before our arrival to check our arrival time. The houseboat is in a great location, we had a wonderful time in Amsterdam. Our one complaint would be the mattress. We found it hard and uncomfortable. Efren, if you could replace that it would mean 5 stars from me.

1 Thank mrbi0
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We think the owner its greasy DON'T GO here. We are book a Houseboat after a long trip from 14 h to Amsterdam we will sleep. When we com dare the whas no plase its whas fully BOOK.

It whas a realy busy weekend in Amsterdam and everything was Fully book, we need to go out amsterdam.

When we talk Whit the owner from PhilDutch and tell him that we are not happy, the asian men werd greasy and tell us that it whas me own problem????? i dont think this its oke when we have a booking whit a email from him that everything was oke and we can com to the houseboat. We ask him to look for a other option and that whas not oke for him. we think this men its a bit greasy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kong2008
jersey city, new jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Booked two nights on April 23, 2010. Tried to confirm 3 times in August, asked him to cancel my last email. No reply from efrin (zero for 3). Very unfortunate, given the city is sold out 9/11 weekend. Very disappointed. Have to stay in Antwerp now an 1 hour and 15 away. He better not try and charge my card!!

5 Thank mike205russo
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 September 2010
Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Thank you for the review but honestly I don't remember you. It's impossible for me not to reply to your E-Mail because I always check my E-Mails.

I remember another person complaining about her booking but they booked the Booking Agency and I can reply to that booking agency within 48 Hours.

Again, if you did not receive the confirmation letter then of course your not officially booked with us.

Don't worry about your credit card because I never charged the credit card anyway... but again I hope you did not used the booking agency?

Please E-Mail me again so that I can investigate your problem but be sure to use my own website and my own E-Mail address.

I hope to hear from you.

PhilDutch Owner
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We have stayed on houseboats our last 4 trips to Amsterdam. For the traveler looking for a different experience,there is nothing like being on a houseboat. There is a great little terrace where you can just watch the boats go by. There is a full kitchen,large bathroom,one small bedroom with TV and refrig. The main room includes the kitchen,eating area,two beds together. The eating area has a large window looking onto the canel. The refrig was full of everything you could want for breakfast. Efren's boat is well stocked .Visiting Efren's houseboat is like staying at a friends house.All attractions are nearby. There are cafes,resturants,and coffee shops, all within a few blocks from the boat. If you are on a budget,or looking for a new travel experience,this may be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mikestravels68
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I made a reservation back in February and now less than 2 weeks before I am scheduled to stay there I get a notice that my reservation has been cancelled. Effran gave some lame excuse about needing to fix a faucet. Of course now many of the other places I would have chosen to stay are not available. This guy will ruin your vacation if you make arrangements with him. I have only reviewed one other bed and breakfast here, and I gave them the highest rating. In the US I would report his business practices to the proper legal authorities. If anyone can suggest the proper place to report him, I have saved my e-mails to send to them. And I thought the Volcano and British Airways strike were bad. Well this is the low point!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pelagic_Gypsy
PhilDutchHouseboat, Owner at PhilDutch Amsterdam Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 May 2010
Dear Sir,

I respect your point of view and I'm already expecting this kind of negative comment from you since you warned me already that you will write on Trip Advisor.

But please sir, you forgot to mention that I did not cancel your 3 nights stay instead only 1 night because of the supposed to be renovation in your room. I can provide some proof that I have a problem in the houseboat and need to be fix on May 27, 2010. Those kind of problem can also happen even for a 5 star hotel.

I offered you one night FREE because of this problem but you refused to accept my offer.

There's a lot of bad accussations that you mentioned in your previous E-Mails but I will not answer those issues since I understand your sentiments.

Anyway thank you sir for your review and it's up to my new client if they still want to stay in my place.

Have a nice day and God Bless your family.

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2010

not sure what is going on with this place.

I made a booking through Venere.com for Aug 2010, and asked if the houseboat would be available for just us, or would we have to share. A reasonable question I think given that the details are not clear.

My booking was canceled within hours with no explanation. Judging from the other comments/complaints, this is not rare for this place!

Stop wasting our time and add some more detailed information on your website!

Stayed April 2010
4 Thank amcellig
Dear Sir / Maám,

This is to inform you that you booked the Hotel Booking Agency and I have the right to decline or reject the booking within 48 Hours if I'm fully booked. Meaning once you booked online it's not yet a guarantee that your booking is confirmed since I'm checking my E-Mail within 48 Hours specially those booking coming from other booking agencies.

Anyway, it's true that I live in the houseboat but my Guests can choose the accommodation wether private bathroom or shared bathroom.

Suggestion to the next Guests please book directly to my website.

Anyway if it's my fault please accept my apology.

PhilDutch Houseboat Owner