“Terrific hotel”
Review of misc eatdrinksleep

misc eatdrinksleep
Ranked #7 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I can't say enough good things about this terrific, friendly little boutique hotel. The location is ideal - we walked easily to the Dam, the flower market, Anne Frank's house, and the Amsterdam Historical Museum, and caught a tram to the other museums. We stayed over a weekend in a garden room (Wonders, on the second floor) and had no trouble with noise. Breakfasts were delicious - as others have mentioned, bacon and eggs to order, croissants, fresh juice, cheeses, cereal, fresh fruit, etc. We saw Rachel more than Pepijn and she was super helpful with directions and advice. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Our stay at the Misc was very enjoyable. The owners were friendly and very helpful, arranging for a car for us from the airport over a period of several emails to assure we had exactly what we needed. The breakfast and location are just right, and the whole hotel has a funky interior, with books, maps and magazines everywhere for tourists to browse through. The stairs are a bit treacherous.The goodies in the minibar were a blessing as we had the munchies and could not resist the chocolate bars. All items were free - something I think is quite rare these days!. What remained with me was that it was not as much a hotel as a friend's place right where you want to be in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Rachel and Pepijn run the best little place in Amsterdam. Our room was two flights up the narrow twisty stairs, and that's something you get used to easily - it's not like we had to carry our bags up or anything. The bed was big and comfortable, there was a ceiling fan to cool the room off in the afternoons, the bathroom was very clean - really, all you could want. You're supplied with a coffeemaker, room safe, and complimentary beverages in the fridge (water, juice, soda, a couple of Heinekens, and even chocolate bars). The location is just steps from Nieuwmarkt on a pretty canal. We chose a garden view room for reasons of quiet, which was good, as we were in town during Gay Pride festivities, and the streets were pretty loud a couple of evenings. Breakfasts were wonderful with bacon and eggs cooked to order plus fresh fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, and the usual breads, cheeses, and cereals. Rachel and Pepijn were helpful without being intrusive, and we felt extremely welcome. We had spent months looking forward to our trip to Amsterdam, and feel that our stay at Misc made the whole experience better.

Room Tip: The canal side rooms have a view but will be noisier than those with a garden view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We chose this little gem for a 3 night stop over based on the reviews. Everything lived up to the accolades- nice, clean rooms, wonderful breakfast, great location. However, somehow we missed out on the "friendly" staff piece. Not sure why. We are very easy going travelers and delight in most things. But a "you are not really welcome" came through from the guy at the front desk. Later we found out he was one of the owners. Go figure. We did have a room on the canal side, and we wanted to keep the windows open. I HIGHLY recommend using the "white noise" machines that they have in the canal side rooms. We finally figured that out on the 3rd night and a dream sleep we had. We'd come back, but hopefully would have a more welcoming and accommodating attitude coming from the owner.

Room Tip: If you have a canal room, use the white noise machine - brillant.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank geewhiz23
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

This was our second stay here and it was fantastic. This place feels like our home in Amsterdam: the rooms, breakfast, service, information, wifi, minibar included etc, you can't fault the place!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Perfect location,friendly staff,excellent breakfast,design rooms,very clean,free minibar and espresso machine in the room

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Antonino G
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed here during an overnight layover and chose this hotel based on the reviews I read here on TripAdvisor. I was assigned the "design" canal view room and I was so glad to have the view even though the street noise was audible with the windows open but it didn't bother my sleep a bit. The room was clean, and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. The breakfast was also delicious and the dining area is just such a lovely place to sit on a sunny day. It was so convenient renting the bike from the hotel and then spending the day biking around the city - this was a great first time Amsterdam experience here at this hotel, especially since it was so centrally located. It was nice too arriving to a stocked refridgerator and coffee/tea setup as well as a strong wifi connection, and I appreciated the laptop sized safe. In all, a very comfortable room.

The only thing holding me back from giving it a higher rating really is the overall attitude of the management there. It's hard to tell if Pepjin is painfully shy or genuinely detests having to interact with the public. The aura wasn't rude exactly, but lacking in any sort of welcoming feeling. I had reserved a bike when I registered online, and when I asked about it was abruptly told "you didn't reserve one" and I had to show my receipt to prove that I had. He reviewed everything with me that I needed to know but rarely looked me in the eye as he was talking to me. And I had read online about the lovely cooked breakfasts that other guests had received, and was a little disheartened when that wasn't offered to me, so I asked about it. They accommodated me and the breakfast was a lovely mix of breads, cheeses, eggs & bacon but I suspect it wouldn't have been offered if I hadn't asked for it, which really does put the guest in an awkward spot. There were also little things about the room that irked me a bit - like there were no screens on the windows and so during the night I was bitten by a mosquito ... and there were no washcloths in the room, only full sized towels.

But I would stay here again knowing these things and just next time bring my own washcloth! The place is very centrally located, comfortable, clean and charming, and really all my needs were met.

Room Tip: The design room has a great canal view but the overall interior design looks alot better in photos t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo