misc eatdrinksleep
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Luxury Suites Amsterdam(Amsterdam)
  • Room Service
All reviewsrembrandt roomwhite noise machinethe red light districtdesign rooma garden view roomfree mini barhomemade jamssmall hoteltop floorexcellent hostsdutch cheesecanal sidecanal housebed and breakfaststairs are steepcanal tourfelt like home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2008

After checking several hotels at tripadvisor we choose this place.
And I can only say that we have made the right choice.

Rooms are clean, quite spacious and very nice decorated we had a canal view roon (Design).

Breakfast was a lot, BUT GOOOOD, croissant, yoghurt, eggs, bacon, fruit, fabulous FRESH orange juice etc. and from 9 to 12 an extra bonus.

Pepijn and Rachel are excellent hosts and they reccomended us some excellent restaurants.

Overall we loved our stay here and we would definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank greg_the_traveller
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I have never had a better hotel stay than I had at the Hotel Misc over Thanksgiving Weekend, 2007. It was nothing short of spectacular.

My travel mate, Allison, and I stayed in the Rembrant Room, which overlooks the lovely Kloveniersburgwal canal -- right in the heart of the city. The room was spacious, clean and charmingly decorated with beautiful wooden furniture and framed Rembrant and Vermeer prints on the walls. It was quiet, save for the church bells ringing periodically in the distance. The room was perfect for resting or reading by the large windows after a busy day of sightseeing. It instantly felt like home.

My favorite part of our stay was definitely the superb breakfast lovingly prepared for us each morning. In addition to freshly baked breads, homemade jams, fresh fruit, coffee and tea, guests are treated to an assortment of excellent cheeses and ham. Bacon and free-range eggs are made to order and served with the flakiest, most buttery croussants imaginable. Oh, and I forgot to mention the freshly squeezed orange juice. It was the perfect way to start the day -- truly heavenly.

The minibar in our room was tuly complimentary. The delicious goodies inside (chocolates, cookies, sodas, water, potato chips) were restocked daily and, best of all, included in the cost of the room! I could not believe it. The minibar was very much appreciated when the late night munchies struck (a very common occurrance in Amsterdam)!

The best part of our stay, however, had to be the warmth and hospitality with which we were welcomed by Rachel and Pepin. It is so clear that they love what they do. That love was evident in every aspect of our stay at the Hotel Misc. This was not my last time in Amsterdam, nor will it my last stay at the incredible Hotel MIsc!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
7  Thank CarlosRaurell
Reviewed 26 October 2007

As others have said, it's all been said before. Myself and my wife were there for our honeymoon, and stayed there for a total of 6 or 7 nights, split up over two weeks as we were using Amsterdam as our 'home base'. Stayed in 4 of the 6 rooms, and they were all very nice, as others have mentioned. Yes, the stairs are steep by North American standards, but if you've been in other old buildings in A'dam then you know they are all like that. Unlike other reviewers, we didn't find the canal view rooms excessively noisy, and the garden view rooms were very peaceful.

Rachel and Pepijn were both fantastic hosts, and no request was refused. Breakfast was top quality, with fantastic breads and cheeses etc.

The location is one of the highlights; very close to Nieumarket Square, which has some wonderful restaurants and coffee shops. Easy, easy, to get anywhere on foot, or use the very good trolley system.

If you are a traveler who enjoys staying in places that give you a local flavour, as opposed to those that insist on 'the north american experience', then I highly recommend Misc.

Mark & Dale

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mark_n_Dale
Reviewed 10 September 2007

My husband and I booked a 5 day break for our 1st Wedding Anniversary, in Amsterdam. Just by searching Google we found Hotel Misc.
We had booked one of the canal facing rooms which are slightly larger + more expensive than garden facing rooms at the back. Each room is themed in its decor. Choice of room cannot be guaranteed, although we asked for the Rembrandt room and got it!
First things first. Our room at the front was very noisy! The windows aren't double glazed and car horns / tourists / bin men are a constant nuisance throughout the night! If we had known the rooms at the front were so noisy we would have chosen a room at the back.
However, having a canal view was pleasant.
The Rembrandt Room - was a good size with a small bathroom + sink + shower (no bath), and separate toilet room. A few toiletries were provided which was a nice touch. The bed was massive and very comfortable. The pillows were a bit hard, but the his + hers own duvet was a nice touch as were bath robes. A fridge was stocked up everyday with soft drinks, peanuts, crisps plus a smart coffee expresso machine with lots of different coffees/teas to choose from. We had a huge double wardrobe and dressing table plus 2 chairs. TV had a good choice of Dutch / UK / US channels.
Breakfast was fab. Croissants, different types of bread, jam, orange juice, fruit, cheese, ham, bacon, eggs - how you want them - we were always well fed for the whole day.
On our actual anniversary we came back to find a complimentary bottle of champagne in our room which was a lovely thing to do!
Rachel + Pepjin were great despite having visitors badgering them for info constantly! They have a well stocked bar in reception too. The hotel is fantastically located in the historic centre of Amsterdam but possibly a little too close to the red light district, (unless that's why you're going!). If you're older maybe stay in the Plantage area instead. Overall a great hotel which you'll especially enjoy if you're a bit young/trendy.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sneezylal
Reviewed 11 July 2007

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for a long weekend in April and would definitely return.
The hotel is in a great spot for exploring Amsterdam on foot (ie tourist spots in the day, bars & restaurants in evening) and is fairly close to the train station - we walked it in about 15 mins or so. If you're flying into Amsterdam I'd definitely take the train to the city rather than a taxi, unless you have loads of luggage.
We thought the hotel was very reasonable (compared to other Amsterdam hotel prices). The room was clean, had all the facilities we required and had a nice view of the garden. I would book a room on the front of the hotel in the future (the "retro" room we booked was more "student kitsch" - but was absolutely fine)
Breakfast was excellent and we really liked the breakfast space - really friendly and informal.
I've saved the best for last though - Pepijn & Rachel are fantastic hosts. I had been in touch with them before we arrived and they provided some really good local knowledge on where best to visit, booked an excellent restaurant for us ("Grietje" I think?), and booked us tickets for a trip to Keukenhof.

Overall - loved it and would recommend

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple