“A uniquely Dutch experience!”

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #94 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I stayed at the Lloyd as part of a press trip so I can't comment on the tariffs, but I know there are several levels of room/service to choose from. The Lloyd is set in an old immigration/child detention centre near the docks, but the refurb has been wittily and cleverly done, with only remnants of its former self left. The rooms are simple and clean, roomy and warm. However, be prepared for the bathroom to be a little quirky! My bathroom was positioned in a corridor between the entrance area and bedroom, with double doors for privacy but no locks and no alternative way through to the bedroom - fine (just) for single occupancy, but not so private for shared ablutions! Other rooms had a shower positioned in a corner of the bedroom, with mop provided! Try this hotel if you want something different from your stay, rather than just another anonymous, eponymous hotel room. The bar is small and fun, and breakfast was conventional continental, but tasty and plentiful.

• Stayed: February 2011

Reviewed 2 April 2011

This was our second stay at Lloyd hotel and although I am a fan of the hotel it will probably be our last visit. As an architect I found the idea of the hotel interesting with rooms rated from 1 to 5 star, However I wonder why anyone would want a 4 or 5 star room as you dont really get a 4 or 5 star hotel service. We stayed in a 3 star room on special rate so had a nice big room with a cot for our 2 year old to run around in.

As a note to Lloyd hotel its time to update the rooms. As they prize themselves on being hip you need to stay ahead of the game. Some of the rooms are now looking dated. Our green bath pod was leaking slightly and the toilet smelled a bit. The window was also difficult to close. I cant recall the last time I saw an old telly surely its time for LCD TV in the rooms.

Pros
1. Good for children, lots of space to run around and toys available. Cots available
2. Good but basic restaurant
3. Interesting building and rooms
4. Good value
5. Good tram connection straight to rail station and around city.

Cons
1. Time for an update!
2. Too far to walk to city centre

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jamesll
Reviewed 2 April 2011

This is a revised review of the hotel after they really went above and beyond the call of duty to help me with a misfortunate event that happened there.

First the good: This building and people are really amazing. From the open dining hall full of community meeting places, art work, and friendly staff to the rooms that are clean and unique in character, this is the place to stay if you want a thinking person's experience of Amsterdam culture. The rooms vary a lot in price and layout, so if your room doesn't suit you, you may find a better one if there is space. It's also next to a lovely canal-lined island that forms a great 1.5 jogging loop if your'e into that.

The revision: I had the unfortunate experience of having my iPad stolen from my room while in this place. I sincerely don't think this had happened before as the staff was at a loss what to do. The helped me file a police report and after no recovery of the iPad they paid for its replacement. Outstanding.

I'd highly recommend this place to any traveler to Amsterdam. It's a cool place and even the worst experiences were made right.

Room Tip: Make sure room has enclose bathroom
Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael-Untraveler
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I did enjoy the stay, I will list the pros and the cons

Pro
-nice price
-close to the trams
-helpful staff
-sweet to be able to order food in the middle of the night (it was possible in the hotel)
-cool rooms

cons
-It was to far away from the city center to be able to walk.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Can this hotel put no foot wrong? This was my third year in which I returned to the Lloyd Hotel, basically due to the fact that it is easily accessable by tram and when renting a car it has safe underground parking. The hotel features rooms ranging from 1 to 5 stars with corresponding amenities. Thus far I've erred on the side of 3* and upwards and have yet to be disappointed. The hotel has a truly unusual character and it grows on you, especially if, like me, you prefer chain hotels like the Radisson etc. This hotel is nothing like it, yet has a charm all of its own.
In-house dinner can be expensive but worth the cost. I've returned time and again for teh liver with onion with mashed potatoes - a basic peasant dish really, but the way they serve it up makes it truly special.
You can easily conduct business here over breakfast or dinner.
Somewhat surprizingly, when we enquired about alternative dinner venueswithin walking distance of the hotel they recommended the Jamie Oliver restaurant about a kilometre or more's walk away - during winter with snow and sleet coming down. However, literally if you step outside the front door, to the left is a cosy restaurant called De Cantine with a wonderful atmosphere, pleasant staff and a menu to suit most wallets.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2011

My partner & I were booked here by the organization that he was having meetings with. Nice old building, good to see it being put to use. Believe we must have been in a 3 star room and the receptionist wanted to make sure we had room 505, which she said was nice for 2 people. I had mentioned to the woman booking the room for us that I would prefer space or a view - both of which we ended up having.

Quirky layout but manageable, a peg to hang a coat or a flat surface or drawer to put things besides the desk would have made things easier but for 3 nights no big issue, then again this was the room we were in.

Breakfast was included & good for continental - fresh squeezed juice, fresh fruit salad, nice cold meats & cheeses & breads - but seemed steeply priced to me, not sure I would have bought it myself. Grocery store & organic shop just down the street, not even 3 minutes walk.

GREAT restaurant across the bridge - de Wereldbol - went for a walk and saw it, read the menu & a woman outside having a smoke told us it was "the best" and she was right. My kind of place though - small kitchen so limited menu choice, a "this is was what was good at the market today" kind of place. We had steak & fish and I have already made reservations for our next trip there this week.

Are we staying at the LLoyd on this trip? No. Would have if I could have gotten a deal but the regular rate didn't justify staying again. And it is a bit out of the loop - you pretty much have to depend on the tram line that runs near the place. Nothing wrong with the place though.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Very friendly hotel with a great restaurant and a really relaxed ambiance.
My room was unlike any hotel room I've ever stayed in. Open the door - walk in and wonder where the bathroom is - then realise you're standing in a wetroom. At the end of the room is the bed - covered in sheepskin rugs and with a tv in a wooden cupboard above.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business