“Interesting Design - Terrible Service”

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #92 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Interesting Design - Terrible Service”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed 3 nights, on a complimentary bases, so I guess I shoudn't complain, but honestly, people should know what this hotel is like before they decide to go.

I'd certainly not recommend it if you are bringing your loved one for a romantic break. I would recommend it, if you are into modern art and design and love "interesting" history of buildings etc. I'd also recommend it if you love to be offended, insulted, ignored and mistreated by hotel staff. You will be then pleasantly surprised by the range of bodylanguage, face pulling and tones of voice, rolling eyes, tutting, or staff raising your voice at you.

Sadly, customer service is where this hotel badly let us down. Pretty much all staff need a good intensive course in customer service. Be careful as on arrival you might miss the smallest reception area in the world - something resembling a shower cubicle, painted yellow from the outside, paint peeling off in places. But I guess you won't really miss it, there will be a good few clients stood queueing and being insulted by the reception staff already, not knowing where to stand or sit as the reception area is in a narrow corridor, exactly at the spot where you should also be accessing the hotel's restaurant.

The girl who checked us in rolled her eyes, and scowled in a really abrupt and bold way at the other customers while I was waiting. It just made me wish I never came to Amsterdam. First finding my, and other customers' names' on the reservation list... is my name spelled with a K? "yes K for cat"? Erm well not quite... "NO IT IS NOT YOUR FIRST NAME I WANT. LAST ONE!!" and "Jeeesus, I am doing it NOW!!". I was shocked. Really shocked.

I understand this is probably the world's first hotel to offer a range of 1 to 5 star rooms. Good on you, interesting! Sadly, the service you will get will be the same regardless of which room or how much money you pay, or how you therefore expect to be treated. We were a "right pain in the a*ss" cos we asked other questions.. as I politely explained I was writing about the hotel for a newspaper so I expected a press pack to be waiting for me. After a search and being told there wasn't one, this repeated 3 times, but I insisted, as I really needed this, so in the end the stressed girl walked off and came back with a press pack about the hotel (in Dutch!?), which needed exchanging later, underdstably for one in English.

The girl was trying to sort out request of another two customers as well as a group cheking out... My patience and understanding wasnt however appreciated, when I asked if I should wait, or perhaps come back later, she snapped at me. I am serious, snapped. Sadly, I also wanted to ask about an iron and ironing board, as we were due to go out shortly to a restaurant where we had a meal booked. She snapped at me again, because I asked if she knew how long it might take.

It is such a shame that I was simply left feeling like every single thing was trouble, anything I asked, or perhaps would like to ask.

Nobody tells you anything about the hotel, its service, Cultural Embassy, which the hotel is known for, or even where to get your breakfast. So off I went into our room. Apparently a "4 star exceptional room", this must refer to the design I guess in some strange waym, or perhaps just the size of the room.

Despite being a couple, we had two single beds, so soft I did my neck in while sleeping two out of the three nights. Luckily, our bathroom wasn't in a middle of the room unlike some of other customers, but slightly separate, in a kind of half circle alcove without a door. Pretty spacious, and so was rest of the room. So those were the good points.

The funkiest green-red-white flower deisgn carpet I've ever seen and the white whooden blind shutters on inside must have been the main feature. It also had the smallest TV I have ever seen (not sure if this is also somehow part of the 4 star design), but we weren't interested in TV, so whatever, really. It just made we wish the TV simply just wasn't there. I guess something must have happened to the original bigger one, which explains the spare TV remote control I found under my bed.

Interesting lamps, beside tables and one white painted wooden chair - this must be some of the design specimens that are scattered throughout the hotel, its rooms and corridors. We weren't that keen on those funky wooden window shutters by the time the light came through them come early morning - there were no curtains to block out the light.

Our ironing board and iron turned up soon, that must be the 1 star one, as the cover was detached and slid up and down, and iron churned out strange dry white crystals. Better than nothing, I guess. Getting ready was difficult as the only mirror was the small one in the bathroom above the sink. So we took turns to jump up and down in front of it to check out our outfits. (At least we had a laugh, I guess)

Breakfast area is a huge tall ceiling bright room with a range of seating from comfy sofas to a communal bar style canteen type. Food offered was far from a good range, but enough to set you up for the day. (just because there is yoghurt one day, doesn't mean you should expect it the next day).

You were also "stalked" by an "Ann Robinson lookalike" who kept frowning over her glasses, checking out and following customers and slipping them little pieces of paper to fill out, to establish who they were and if they were indeed entitled to their morning food. No good morning, no smile, no welcome. One gentleman stood over the empty tray of cheese and dared to ask, so "Ms Robinson" brought out another, but surely, she really didn't have to comment this by loudly calling over his shoulder "More cheese! just in case you haven't got enough!".

So despite originally planning to speak to the manager about a possible tour of the hotel (to help me when writing the article), I resorted to avoiding any unnecessary contact with staff, after the rudeness experienced on the first night. I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise when returning to the hotel at night we walked into the bar/restaurant area for a drink and asked the waiter if it was open, only to be given a bold, blank faced, answer: "FOR??". "A drink, please?"... Yes we can? Phew.... thank you...

Room service .... A lady walked in on us one morning without as much as a knock on the door. Nevermind. Next morning she must have decided we didn't need our soap and shampoo topping up because we still had some pieces of the tiny soap left over from yesterday. We still managed to use some of it before it melted into non-existence. The toilet could clearly wait to be cleaned til the week after. Nevermind. Enough of that though, I feel really tight now for stating the negatives. But I do feel the service was terrible.

So on to the good points - the hotel has a fascinating history, it used to ba a way station for migrants leaving Europe, as well as young offenders instute, a prison etc.... with all of this incorporating into this design, and interior. Many of the original elements, parts or layout have been therefore preserved and reused, despite sometimes lacking in functionality. This hotel is to be marvelled at almost like at a design museum, so we did make sure to go for a walk around its corridors and staircase with photographic exhibition of the ongoing work. It is unique, apparently no one of the 117 rooms (or so) is the same, each different. One has a grand piano, and a bed that sleeps eight...

It is fascinating to look at, but a little harder to enjoy as a guest. I wish the management would reconsidered the tiny reception area, and some staff training. The treatment of the customers I witnesses, just is not acceptable.

Since we have been back, the management have apologised to us and sounded pretty shocked and surprised to hear what the experience we have had. They said they take the issue seriously and will be looking into it. I am glad, because the unusual and unique place this hotel is, if only a few people made us feel a little welcome, smiled and controlled themselves from snapping and raising their voice at customers, we could have had an unforgettable experience - in a positive way...

Room Tip: Unique design could be far from pratical
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Daisies55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 May 2011

NEVER STAY HERE over priced!! Never stayed in a place as bad in my life we stayed for 3 days and cost us 612 between 3 of us rooms were so spooky, dont no how they can rate themselves as a 5 star it's more like a -5!!! Staff were so rude too.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Looker097
Paris
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The hotel is situated in one former dockland area, mostly residential. It gives a nice vibe,near the water and it is silent. The rooms are good, with many variations between them (and their prices) for what I could gather. We stayed at the cheaper ones with bathroom and have nothing to complain about it.
The only downside is the distance from the centre of Amsterdam, forcing us to take a tram trip. The stop is near the hotel and it's not very far away, but if you plan to party hard all night it may not be your ideal place to stay. If you don´t mind getting public transportation, buy a 24 hour ticket or some other similar.
In short, it's a nice hotel, with a fair price considering what one can be charged in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank alexandrebrasil1971
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My husband and myself had booked a room at 180 euros for one night,because we were attending a specisl party in the vicinity,so I thought it would be a lovely treat.it was not.
When we arrived we were told we hd to pay a 50 euro deposit,I had already paid for the hotel room,when my husband questined this ,he was spoken to arrogantly by the young male eceptinist, we were alloted our room, room 117... too light,too noisy ,shower was dity,the towels were literally falling apart, I would upload pictures,but cannot find them .
Any way,it was in short disappointing to say the least. I managed to get our breakfasts for nothing less 10 percent tax,Iwould NEVER reccommend this place,a rip off,so called design,cheap rubbish meant to be trendy. I wrote to the hotel to complain and asked for a total refund,my request was not even refferd to,if anyone wants to read the reply I will be happy to forward it. Just awful,,,

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank angela188593
Frankfurt
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Ambience: Great modern hotel, situated in the eastern docklands of Amsterdam. Relatively close to Central Station. Good tram connection. Integrated in an old 1920s building. Open design, great open restaurant and terrace (see photo). Lots of Ikea-like designed furniture, but I'm no expert in interior design. Rooms intergrated in the original period building design. e.g. stone floors. Directions to rooms are not displayed. Stars: ****

Room: We had a "5 star" room. Stars ONLY refer to room size, NOT to facilities. No fridge, not enough towels, no shower gel, no minibar, tea and coffee only available in the corridor. Ancient, small-screen TV. No radio. No closet. No sink in the WC. Small windows, not a good view. Large room though, with a nice hammock. Bed very comfortable. (Its the "5 star" room displayed on hotel homepage, upper right picture, 360€ per night plus taxes. Breakfast NOT included!). Overall stars: **

Service: Non-professional receptionists (students?). Find your room alone - staff do not assist you with this. No help with bags. Room service looks cheap, but there is a 7.50€ extra charge for delivery - this additional charge is not displayed in the menu, but we were told on the phone when we tried to order something. The staff is friendly, free coffee while waiting for the room. Waiters very friendly, but still inexperienced? Stars: ***

Restaurant: We had excellent squid rings for a fair price. Steak comes plain, with no sides - chips cost extra. Quality of the steak: questionable. Also pasta with mushrooms: Ok. Overall too expensive for what we got. If you know good restaurants, you will not like this, however, they describe it as a "snel "fast" restaurant" so you wouldn't expect anything more. Breakfast was good, though not included. Sorry, only **.

Overall: ** (Would be three stars, but it's way too expensive!!)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank roter_hirsch
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The Lloyd Hotel is a great hotel for a family (as we were) but we would recommend it also for anyone who likes their hotel not to be a uniform chain style. The restaurant staff were really friendly to all of us and brought the children their own pot of chocolate sprinkles at breakfast. Nice food at dinner, too. The beds were REALLY comfortable. The Lloyd Hotel is very quirky. The rooms are all very different to each other. We had 2 3star rooms (for other adults in our party) and 1 4star room. The 4 star was great with children as it was a very big room divided by dividing doors into 3 normal sized rooms. The first had 2 single beds for the children. The second was the bathroom and the third a very light, nicely decorated double room. The 3 stars did not have lots of cupboard space but were fine for a weekend. One of them had an enormous freestanding bath in the middle! The hotel has lots of nooks and crannies to explore, staircases all over the place and photos of its prison past. It is in the Eastern Docklands but is only 5 minutes from Centraal by tram 26.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I was there for 4 days. So all i have to say is that all we got were damaged walls and floors. the rooms are very manky. The toilets and showers were separately, but they were usually too dirty. The service often forget to finish their work. Only the location was good, there is a tram directly to the near Central Train Station

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends