“Great idea but needs some new input”

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #97 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I love the idea of this hotel and merging 1 to 5 stars. A much more diverse crowd and if your meeting friends you can decide what you can afford etc. however it was pretty expensive and there are plenty of new alternatives to hotels if you are into design like me. The service was warm and wonderful, the restaurant was great with fabulous food and coffee, but the rooms were a real let down. I chose 3 star and got an upgrade to 4 star, but the room was shabby and in desperate need of a repaint and recarpet. The bones of the hotel are fabulous and they just need some new ideas and emerging artists to quirk it up a bit like an ace hotel room. It can show case the great ideas and design of this city. The public areas and restaurant did this well but it didn't carry into my room or the others I peeked into. I love this idea and would like to see more hotels adopt this idea so that there is more diversity in guests.the area that the hotel is in is really interesting and not far from the station with great public transport. It's a lovely hotel, it just needs a bit more love!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank imalwayspacked
Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed at the Lloyd hotel for 5 days and loved it. Great service and great hospitality and o so comfortable bed! The proximity to the tram stop makes is so convenient. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
TheLloydHotel, Manager at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Halinishi,
We enjoyed reading your positive review! We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We are very pleased with our stay at the Lloyd Hotel in Amsterdam. The room (with the open shower) was spacious, the bed slept fantastic and also the service was very good. The only remark is that it's quite hot in the room, even when we switched of the heater.

The Lloyd hotel is easily accessible. Within a couple of minutes you are in the middle of the center of Amsterdam. A good choice when you visit Amsterdam for the weekend.

Room Tip: When you're not a couple, don't choose the room with the open shower ;-)
2  Thank Jose1104

Dear Jose,
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a good night’s sleep! Next time, please feel free to contact the reception to place a fan in your room or to assist you in opening up a window. We hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed at the Hotel on a Friday Night with a friend of mine. I believe we booked a 1 or 2 star room at the basement- I have no complaints, the room was very tidy and it was a pleasure staying there! Before our arrival, I e-mailed the staff to check the directions to the hotel and they were most helpful and very prompt with their responses. My friend and I returned to the Hotel at night feeling very unwell from our night out and had to call room service for first aid. The staff attended our room immediately to check on us. Despite booking a 1/2 star room, we felt we were very well looked after. I would definitely return to the hotel if I ever visit Amsterdam again! Would also highly recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Amsterdam. Also, the location is conveniently close to Central Amsterdam.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nohman S

Dear Nohman,
Thank you very much for your review! We are happy to read that you were in good hands with our staff when you were not feeling well. We hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

when I booked this hotel as I had read a few bad reviews but nothing was further from the truth. I had booked a 3 star room and was perfectly happy with it...a large shower and toilet. comfortable beds...the room was on the small side but who comes to Amsterdam to sit in a hotel room...the hotel staff where very good and helpfull, the breakfast staff fantastic nothing was too much for them...some people may think 17,50 euro is expensive for a breakfast but it is a royal breakfast I only had cheese on toast, coffee and juice it was about 10 euro's for two...the only down side was the weather..it blew a gale and rained all day...I went to the Design Icons which is held in the area, that was also great.

Dear Jim,
Thank you for your positive review! We hope to welcome you again in the future and we will have a fingers crossed that you will be experiencing better weather!
The Lloyd hotel Team

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was booked into this hotel by a colleague as it was relatively near to my conference hotel which was full I arrived late and was given Room 001 which was in the basement. The room was stunningly bland, with no pictures, fully tiled floors and some weird but unusable furniture in the room. No wardrobe, heating all turned off, light bulbs that looked like they had been removed from a U-boat and pipes running everywhere. Little did I know that one of them was the down pipe from toilets above. After going to bed and tuning off my 1985 TV set, with no remote, I heard someone going to the bathroom from what sounded like in my room, next to my head. I noticed the silver wrapped down pipe and asked to be moved. I was moved to an upgraded room - 003. This was very similar but without the down pipe, and with a bed that had to be entered from the end as it was in a sort of bunker. The staff were all fine though, and the restaurant was equally OK. I guess the trick with this hotel is never let them put you in the basement and on this basis I have to score them very low.

Room Tip: Never let them put you on Floor -1: it is as close to a modern dungeon as you could expect and the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter G

Dear Peter,
We are disappointed to read about your dissatisfaction of the room choices offered to you at The Lloyd Hotel. In addition, thank you for letting us know about the faulty TV remote, we fixed this immediately. In the design of the Lloyd Hotel we aimed to create diverse and unique room experiences ranging from 1 – 5 stars for all types of guests. We would very much like to welcome you back in the future, as we are confident we can find a room that you will enjoy. Please contact us directly if you would like this opportunity.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This hotel has rooms from a very affordable 1 star (where you share a bathroom) to 5 star where you get a totally unique room. We stayed in the 5 star room (607) where you'll find a huge bath in the middle of a loft-like room and a swing. This room is all about being different instead of being luxurieus. We did not have a mini bar and the tv was super small, but we enjoyed the amazing views and quirkiness of this place. The breakfast was the best we've ever had and the staff is super friendly. Amsterdam is a busy city and even on the 6th floor we could clearly hear the sounds of the street (trains/trams etc) It did not bother us, but for others this might be an issue.

Room Tip: We had a 5 star room with bath in the middle of the room, we are convinced it is one of the best roo...

Dear Alexa,
It’s very nice to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you liked one of our beautiful 5* rooms so much! It’s always nice to get compliments, especially compliments regarding our friendly staff make us proud (and smile). Thank you!