“Excellent room, a little far out”

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #93 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Excellent room, a little far out”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here just over a week ago in the 2 star room. It is a spacious room for what you pay and had a lovely double bed. There is no aircon so it can be a bit hot in the summer but you can open windows to get a draught through. The main thing about the room was the toilet and shower were at the other end and threre was just a screen covering them - it's fine for a couple.

The main disadvantage of the hotel is the distance from all the attractions. It's a minimum of 30 minutes walk to the city centre and then more to get to other places! Definitely hire a bike if you are staying here.

Room Tip: Specify whether you want a double bed or twin with the 2 star room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
TheLloydHotel, Manager at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you liked the room we allocated to you. Having so many differently styled rooms, this can sometimes be a challenge! I agree that discovering Amsterdam by bike is the best option.
Hope to see you again in Amsterdam.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

It's my 4th time here & I've stayed in 1*, 2*, 3*, 4* star rooms - & each time has been a great experience. I like the location, the staff are friendly & helpful. We hired bikes this time from the hotel which worked well. Can't wait to come back

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank C4mber
TheLloydHotel, Manager at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
It's great to hear that you had another great stay with us! Hopefully we will see you again soon. Let us know if you have already found a "favourite" room so that we can make sure to book that room again for you!
Kind regards, The Lloyd Hotel staff
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is my edited review of the Lloyd hotel. My last review contained content from their own materials about their history as a detention center, and I was told it was not family friendly and they erased my review. So my new review is limited to the hotel as I experienced it. (Please read about the hotel in advance). The hotel has a variety of room rates and quality and rates them with stars. On a scale from 1 to 5 I stayed in a 4 star room. It was bare, sparse, dirty and my toilet was in the open.i had no pictures on walls, filth on the bare non carpeted floor, and I experienced bad dreams (I am avoiding another word that is not family friendly). I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Nora R
TheLloydHotel, Manager at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Nora,
I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I totally agree that it is good to read up on us as our hotel has a unique concept (1 to 5 stars) and a rich and diverse history. The room you referred to is a room designed by architects MVRDV. They wanted to maximize space by creating a bathroom without walls. To create privacy the large doors can be closed thus creating "walls". I appologize that we clearly didn't explain this room sufficiently on check in. I hope that your time in Amsterdam was enjoyable.
Kind regards, The Lloyd Hotel Team.
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I booked my hotel on the bus from Paris to Amsterdam. A tram ride away from central and next to the old port. Taxi is the only option for late nights. Pricey for a 1star room. However I had to work on a fixed budget. At the reception I was told about a 2 star available at double the price which I politely declined. Decor is a bit whacky and spooky. Our room won't lock from inside. Reception said they can't help. I had to remind them that they had a basement room where I got a free upgrade. On checkout I was charged the higher rate. I spent 20 mins explaining as the last person forgot to mention in the register. Finally got a refund after 3 days. Beds are comfy though.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
What a shame that we weren't capable of offering you the level of service we are accustomed to giving all our guests! Our receptionists should know that it is possible to lock all our doors from the inside, safety is very important to us. I can fully understand your frustration that after changing rooms your invoice wasn't correct on check out. I am glad that we were able to sort the mishaps out. My appologies for the inconvenience. Hopefully you will chose to stay with us again so that we can convince you that the level of service you received was the exception and not the rule.
Seattle
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed one night in the Lloyd hotel and it was fantastic! The staff in all areas of the hotel are friendly, efficient and interested in making your stay pleasant. I requested a room with a bath and we had a huge bath in a fun orange painted room. The food in the restaurant is excellent - we had a business dinner one night and an early breakfast before our flight home. The history of the hotel has been maintained with integrity but without compromising on comfort. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others. Easy to get to by tram and the staff are knowledgeable about getting to other destinations in the city. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for anything specific you require. The rooms are all very different.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
TheLloydHotel, Manager at Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review! I am glad to read that you had such a good stay with us and that we were able to give you some insider information about the nice spots in Amsterdam. You definately stayed in one of our more quirky rooms! Having an orange room during the World Cup was good timing though... I hope to see you again when you next come to Amsterdam.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel. It is a very nice and interesting hotel. Especially its history during the last decades. The rooms are clean. So is the restroom. Reception service is friendly and helpful. Besides the hotel is very close to the Centraal train station. Only two stations to go in each direction. Compared to some other hotels it is for quite moderate prices. When choosing to visit Amsterdam again I WILL take it again!!!

Room Tip: Take standard 2 stars room for a short stay. Absolutely satisfactory
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Yulia,
It is so good to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you managed to find your way around the city with ease. I am glad that you were able to find some time to read up on our history. We are very pround to be able to house our hotel in a monumental building with such diverse history. Next time you visit us, we would be more than happy to give you a personal tour of the hotel.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

It's about a 30 min walk to Amsterdam Central train station, but if the weather's good then it's a nice walk along the river. I didn't take the tram but there's a stop a few mins away from the hotel. There are a couple of upmarket bars and restaurants in the close vicinity (it's a regenerated former docklands area, so feels quite trendy), as well as a supermarket over the road, so it's a good location as a base, and you can relax and unwind away from the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam city centre.

The hotel itself has a wonderful central area with different lounges on different levels, and the whole building has quite an arty style. The reception is just a small desk in a corridor, so the entrance doesn't wow you, but you soon realise the building is quite special. I got a room upgrade which was a pleasant surprise and stayed in a 3* room. The staff were very friendly indeed. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
What a great review! It's good to read that you were able to discover the gems of the Eastern Docklands area. It is an area that some forget to put on their "places to see in Amsterdam" list, but definately worth while adventuring into. Next time you visit make sure to rent one of our bikes thats the best way to get around Amsterdam.
Thank you for you kind words about the feel of the hotel.