“You'e in Amsterdam so try it at least once...”

Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy
Ranked #100 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Our company employees have been staying at the Lloyd every September since it opened (we were there when they were still setting up and got to see the designer in action putting in the final touches).
We love the place because it keeps on surprising us, the staff are nice and the restaurant downstairs is very pleasant and open at all hours.
But unfortunately in the last two years the prices have become a little too high during the IBC trade show period.
A few tips if you are thinking of staying here:
1. If you are not on your own or with a very close and loving partner ask for a room where the bathroom an toilet are sectioned off (in many rooms the toilet and shower a simply smack bang in the room just like any other stick of furniture).
2. Try to avoid the rooms where you walk in straight to the bathroom (we had to make up codes for 'don't come in I'm on the toilet, showering etc.' and the floor was always wet and messy...).
3. The rooms on the 6th floor are the funkiest but if you are tall you may want to avoid them because they are in the rafters.
4. It is worth paying the extra fee for reserving exactly the room you want because some of the rooms can be a surprise you would rather avoid.
5. If the hotel isn't fully booked we have always been able to shop around for a room that suited us best.
6. It is located on the outskirts but this new area is very cool and there are many nice places to hang out (check out the Odessa boat restaurant just on the bank in front of the main entrance, they are not always open and reservations are needed phone: +31204193010). Anyway with a bike or the tram you are in the center of Amsterdam within a few minutes so this shouldn't put you off.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,566)

Reviewed 27 September 2009

When my daughter and I arrived the hotel was hosting a design exhibit sponsored by Elle Women Magazine of Europe. This went on for two days and we were very obviously in their way. The reception/lobby is a closet stuck in the middle of the hall with a Dutch door (pardon the pun). We were lucky if there were two employees in the "closet;" otherwise, there were always five or six people lined up trying to check in or out or just to ask questions. It was all too, too "all about me." "Me" being the hotel and its employees and the regulars. They were enjoying each other and the hotel's uniqueness way too much to be bothered with the guests.

I can only reiterate what the previous reviewers have said about the service. There pretty much is none. Actually, the service is poor all over Amsterdam, but the Lloyd Hotel pales in comparison. On at least one occasion when my daughter asked for coffee she was told, "I'm really busy right now. You'll have to come back later." And it doesn't seem to be the fault of too few waiters, just incompetence and indifference. We were under the mistaken impression breakfast was included (it had been at every hotel we'd stayed at in Italy, Austria and Germany). Imagine our surprise when we found out we'd been charged 17 Euro ($25.50) for a continental breakfast - and not a good one at that.

The Lloyd Hotel was, at one time, a youth prison. We had two cells for a room. The front door opened into the bathroom! If you happened to be sitting on the toilet and your roommate opened the door - you were exposed to the entire hallway. No shower curtain, just a low curb around the shower with the shower head pointed straight down very close to the faucets with no ability to move it. They provided a squeegee for stray shower water, but no drain to push it into! And you couldn't get the water back into the shower for the low curb! When we check in they had folded a hand towel over the sink and lowered the stopper and left the faucet dripping. The towel was sopping wet.

Only a curtain between the bathroom and the bedroom which consisted of two beds and one table and two chairs (and the tiniest TV we'd seen in Europe - although we don't go to Europe to watch TV). We had to put one of the chairs in between the beds for a make-shift nightstand. There were four lights with magnetic bases stuck on a magnetic strip that went around the wall about five feet high. None of them were where you needed them.

Quite frankly, I can't believe anyone recommends this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I've just recently stayed at Lloyd Hotel for a work trip. There's nothing to like about this hotel. It's overpriced, and in the middle of what looks like an industrial estate. The rooms may have been cool and design-y at one point but now they just look shoddy. The walls are scuffed, the layouts unhelpful.

All of this could be put up with except for the fact that the staff is uniformly useless. Coming in at lunch inbetween meetings after sitting at the table for 5-7 minutes in an almost empty restaurant we finally asked if they had any menus. The response was "yes, we do". Wasn't sure if we were supposed to go and find them, as they didn't seem inclined to get them for us in any hurry. Attempts to get a drink at the bar turned into a farce of being moved from one room to the next with staff that might at some point come over to serve you if you're lucky. The staff at the front desk don't seem to grasp that you might want to check in or out sometime in the next decade so you feel like you're forever waiting for someone to actually get they're in the hospitality industry.

Breakfast is incredibly expensive--you pay 17 euro for effectively a continental buffet.

And I'm sorry but having to squeegy your own bathroom isn't charming or quirky it's just tragic.

AVOID this hotel

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I stayed at the Lloyd Hotel for three nights at the end of a long multi-city trip in the Netherlands, and it turned out to be my favorite lodging of the entire trip. This is definitely one of the most unique and interesting hotels I've ever stayed in... the option of rooms from 1-5 stars certainly sets it apart. As I was traveling "on the cheap", I chose a 1 star room and was very pleased... I can't begin to imagine how great a 5 star room would be. The historic character of the building makes all the rooms interesting, and the 1 star rooms are very well designed. While small, they make good use of the space and you certainly don't feel cramped, and if you do feel the need for some breathing room, the fantastic lounge spaces and library are great places to spread out (and I do highly recommend checking out the library... the Lloyd has an amazingly well-curated selection of art + design books from around the world). I found the staff to be very friendly and they went above and beyond expectations with their service (I was impressed that the clerk at the check-in desk made a good Green Bay Packers joke when they saw I'm from Wisconsin!). The location may seem a bit off-the-beaten path, but that's actually an advantage of the Lloyd. You're away from the noise and nuisance of the central city, but still only a quick 5-minute tram ride from Centraal Station, and the area around the hotel, in the recently redeveloped Oostenlijk Havengebied is a fascinating area to explore, particularly if you're interested in modern architecture. The Lloyd is definitely a spectacular choice for the discerning traveler.

Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2009

The Lloyd Hotel is a beautiful old building (1921) with a solid institutional feel. Many of the original details are still there.

It has a great breakfast, a nice restaurant and an outdoor terrace. There are several restaurants and bars nearby.

The area around the hotel is a mix of old and new, but mostly new and a little non-descript.. It’s just a few metres away from a long dock on the Ij river (not just a canal) that gives a nautical feel to the place. And of course the building itself has a nautical history.

Across the road there’s a shopping complex with a supermarket and ATM. You can take a tram to get into town. There is an underground car park right behind the building. The exit is metres away from the hotel.

I was personally intrigued by the history of the building: I mean it was built by a shipping company as an emigrant hotel. It became a Nazi prison for resistance fighters. And then a regular prison. And then it became an artists’ colony. And now it’s a design hotel. Go figure.

I think I was in one of the two-star or three-star rooms. My bathroom was hidden behind a wall, which I could swing open to divide the suite into two rooms. There was no shower stall per se. The shower floor was wood. Yes, wood, with grates. I had tiny plastic chairs. The lamps were hanging on heavy pendulums hanging from the ceiling. At one point in the hall there were chairs tucked into an alcove one metre high!

I mean, it WAS interesting. Different.

Having stayed at Lloyd Hotel, I now know there are hotels that, well, defy a TripAdvisor-style rating system.

The rating system on TA is already not that simple. A one-star hotel can get a 5/5, and a five-star hotel can get a 1/5. But how do you rate a hotel with one-star rooms and five-star rooms? How do you rate a hotel in which every room is apparently different? I mean, this is not the Ramada.

How do you rate a hotel where you often find yourself thinking “now why did they do it that way?” and “how does that work?”

The LH reminded me a little of the scene in Absolutely Fabulous where Edina and Patsy’s über-trendy friends had an all-white décor. Chic, but not always the most practical or comfortable arrangement. The LH is a very, very European hotel with the message “we are cooler than you are”, and where the designers apparently felt they had a mission to challenge hotel guests. Design magazines and design books are strewn around the hotel, as if this were something that everyone did. If you're a traditional sort of person, you may not like this hotel.

I can see why this hotel might have confused some guests and resulted in them giving it low ratings. To many of us, “design hotel” means “expensive”, “modern comfort” and “luxury”. Well, think again.

I thought a few aspects of the hotel were distinctly hostel-like. The communal same-sex washrooms, for example (just for some of the guests). The tatty psychidelic throws. I sort of liked this aspect. It's a distinctly Dutch thing to do.

My reaction to this hotel is based partly on the fact that I was here only one night on business. If I had stayed here for a longer period and paid for the room myself, perhaps I wouldn't see it the same way.

The conference room was uncomfortable in hot weather (a rarety in Amsterdam). No air conditioning. The room however was comfortable, mostly because I had a great breeze.

It was fun and I’m glad I stayed there. It was an “experience”. I would recommend it to open-minded people for that reason. It’s the kind of hotel you remember. The kind of hotel you expect to find in a city like Amsterdam.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank zwerf
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I usually really like "design hotels" and make a special effort to stay in them. So when my husband found the Lloyd online, I thought we should try it, even though (since we are on a budget) we would need to stay in a room with a shared bathroom. Now I am sure there are some really cool rooms in the Lloyd, but at the same time I can assure you that the room we had was NOT one of them. Yes, it had historic character, and a kind of "psychiatric ward chic" (as one of the other reviewers described). It had funky green tile on the walls and floors, weird windows into the corridors (with blinds, yes), no overhead lights (only architect's desk lamps weirdly affixed high up on the walls), a small window that didn't open enough for adequate ventilation, a very basic desk with two chairs, and two single beds pushed together. The room was tiny and absolutely dismal, though clearly brand new. In its favor I will say that it was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and bathrobes were provided. We shared a bathroom with half the floor, and for some inexplicable reason the toilet was in a room of its own, while the lavatory was in a room with the shower. The hotel has an interesting display on the history of the building (which I would recommend you read on your way OUT the door on your last day as it's not a happy story), and there is a quick tram link to the Centraal Station. I would say -- try the Lloyd -- but make sure you know what you're getting into before you do.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HappyMunching
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I took the cheapest room they had, on the 4th floor and with a shared bathroom. I read that is was a 'different' hotel, but I wasn't prepared for the psychiatric institution look of my room...

This floor had long, echoing corridors, and everything was covered in old tiles: dirty, crooked and with lots of filled up holes. The bedroom was basic. It had two metal beds, a desk where the paint was coming off, and two rugs. The tv didn't seem to fit in. I had a hard time reaching for the light switches, as the lamps were attached to the top of the walls. If you believe in ghosts, don't stay here, as there must be at least two per room!

However, the bed was nice and soft, and the showers were comfortable. The restaurant was very arty and the breakfast tasty (although expensive).

I didn't mind staying there just for a short night between two business days, but I wouldn't recommend it for a long vacation.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business