“Exceptional Selection of Dutch Ale”

Beer Tasting Room Arendsnest
Ranked #9 of 278 Nightlife in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Proeflokaal Arendsnest serves nothing but beer from Dutch breweries. Dutch beer only! Everyday open from 12:00 AM
Desborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Exceptional Selection of Dutch Ale”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Wow. I cannot get enough of this place. Just sitting at the bar looking at the pristine polished beer pumps made my throat dry.

Which is just as well as this place has to be one of the best ale houses in Amsterdam. My top pub to visit in 2013.

On this visit I was in Amsterdam to see a band so had to start at lunchtime. 2pm start. All of the 6 beers that I tried on this visit were stunning. In fact, they got better as I worked down the line. Needed a lie down before the concert to recoup.

If you like a nice well kept beer and lot's of choice then make sure you find this place.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Tim-Chorlton

• Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Beer Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Thank you for all the different types of beer and wonderful cheese. If you want to have a night of beer experience this is one of the places you should go! You should try the aged Gouda cheese with beers!

Regina, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Beer Bar, potentially the best anywhere?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Um ya, been to Portland and other beer mecca's and Amsterdam, particularly Arendsnest is the best. Amazing selection of tap beer, all of the De Molen brews in bottles, awesome service and tasting, tiny but awesome little tables by the canal. I basically love this place, the way they clean the glasses and serve you makes you feel like your back in the olden days... (before my time), but with way better beer. I would recommend the "house brews", tried an IPA that the guys who work there brewed and it is ridiculously delicious. Recommend for anyone of any age, went back again and again over the course of a week. BOOM! Didn't try any food, do they have food?

Rock Cave, West Virginia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Experience Dutch Beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

The Dutch are not know as one of the big beer cultures in Europe but, a trip to Proeflokaal Arendsnest would change many people's thoughts about that. I believe the only beer I had from the Netherlands before visiting here was La Trappe Isid. We came here in the afternoon and the place had a few patrons but was empty overall. The bar is small so I could see getting a place to sit on the weekend being difficult. As we sat down we were greeted by the bartender. She was happy to help with explanations of any of their 30 taps and numerous bottles available. We ordered the sampler.

One of my favorite aspects of the sampler was the glass of water provided to help clean the pallet and prepare you for your next sip. I'm surprised how often bars will offer some form of sampler but not anything like cheese or water to eliminate the previous flavors and thus enhance the experience so you can really taste each beer individually. I think it makes a world of difference.

Amsterdam isn't know as a beer city despite having a few really good bars. I would recommend the Proeflokaal Arendsnest over any other in town to really get a chance to taste Dutch beer culture. Why go to a bar mainly offering beers which are easier to find around the world when you can come here for a unique Dutch beer experience?!?

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best beer house, and probably not just in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Similar to many we saw this place purely from searching Trip Advisor. We liked the look of it and sought it out on our first afternoon in the city. Its fairly unassuming from the outside and not huge once you venture in but its got a great feel to it and is very cosy when the weather isn't great. We returned several times during our long weekend as we enjoyed the place so much and saw it both when it was quiet and very busy. The staff are very friendly and more than happy to make suggestions of what to drink next. On our first trip we tried the three beer sampler and had cheese to accompany it. The barman was great at recommending the beers and then explaining which cheese to eat with which beer. It was a real eye opener for us and has made us get into our craft beers a lot since we have returned home. On our last day the weather wasn't great and we whiled away the afternoon playing Dutch Monopoly and drinking beer - a very relaxing way to finish a holiday.