“Absolutly shocking, Words can't describe how bad this place is!!”

Barbacan Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #338 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Absolutly shocking, Words can't describe how bad this place is!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This place is quite frankly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. They took our money by credit  card when we made the booking via an Internet site. On seeing the room I was disgusted. Filthy, mouldy and stunk or raw sewage. It was freezing cold stunk, there were bugs. It was dirty. When we complained the manageress/receptionist told me tough no refunds. Eventually wrote the money off as couldn't bear to spend one night in this horrible place. For the sake of your cash, your health and for the good of your holiday my advice woul be to dry well clear. I wish we'd seen some of these reviews before booking and it was the state of this hotel and the appalling state of the rooms, the hotel in general and the attitude of the staff that prompted me to join trip advisor in the first place.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 June 2012

• Stayed April 2012

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

In between Holidays
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our family of four and a couple had booked and pre-paid for a two night stay several months before we arrived. Travelling from Australia with six people meant we had to know we had a bed before we got to Amsterdam. What a nightmare to discover it was a dump. We're not fussy but this place stinks of cigarette, rude owner, rooms are poky, bugs on pillows, toilet leaked. Shown to a different room which was no better. We went out for a meal thinking it might look better after a few drinks. It didn't. We piled into our hired van and found friendly staff and clean rooms out near the airport. Steer clear of this one.

Room Tip: If you want a clean room, try another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Obviously this is not a 5star hotel but as far as this website is concerned it gets 5 stars from me.

Went with 8 girls for 30th birthday for the weekend17-19th Feb. Price £34 ppn. We all stayed in ensuite double rooms. They were compact but simple and clean. For all the time we spent there, it suited our purposes perfectly.

In a nutshell....

Friendly staff, Clean rooms, good location, good price. Would recommend if u are looking for cheap accommodation in a good location.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank lisaboodoo
dublin
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The experience in your hotel ruined our trip to Amsterdam.
I'm not picky, we didn't expect a 4 star hotel, but we did expect somewhere that was at least clean! I wouldn't let my worst enemy spend the night here.
We booked hotel Barbacan in February thinking we would be staying in a basic, clean hotel with a double bed and a bathroom. Instead, upon our arrival we were sent to a twin room with a communal bathroom, the ceiling had a 3 foot stretch of mold which leaked, we told reception about it, they said no refunds and no room changes, we asked to speak to a manager, she said they were off for the weekend, we found it hard to get a receipt for proof of stay, but secured one on check out.
The staff showed absolutely no interest in our complaints, and were rude and unfriendly. The fact that the staff seemed to show no interest in our complaints and that we were stuck with a moldy room are, to me, completely unacceptable.

The bathroom was very very unclean, we had asked for a room with a bathroom and double bed but we got a communal bathroom!! we couldnt even walk around in it it was so small, and people kept trying to walk in when I was in there.

we had to sleep with the window opened when staying there as we didn’t want to breathe mold in (it wasn't warm and in fact rained), we were tempted to take on extra cost to change hotels, but because the woman at the desk refused to hand me back the money I had given her prior to seeing the disgraceful room, we couldn't change our accommodation. There were other hotels in the area we could have gone to, but because we had given her the money we were unable to go anywhere. We felt we were forced to stay in your hotel.

IT completely ruined our trip, I can't describe how horrible the hotel rooms were, the staff were them most ignorant people.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank christine c
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I booked a room with this hotel online through booking.com on 11th January 2012. While ‎doing that, I made a mistake, instead of booking myself on 19 I booked myself on 12th ‎Jan. 2012. After 7 minutes, I realized I made a mistake because the booking.com ‎webpage is tricky. I called booking.com and they said they explained the matter to the ‎hotel and that the hotel will come back to me in one hour. Got no reply, so called the ‎hotel and there I got the shock of my life. there Front Office Manager named, Nelly, was ‎so rude that I can not even believe my ears. First she said the HOTEL POLICY says I can ‎not cancel. I said I don't want to cancel, just only change the check in date. Called ‎booking.com again and tried to talk to a supervisor there called Luis Juarev. He also tried ‎to talk to her, but he came back to me with nothing. I called the hotel again and Nelly ‎picked up the phone again. She told me literally, "you made the wrong booking and we ‎are going to take your money and we don't even care if you come or don't come, as long ‎as we get our money." and hang up the phone on my face. That was truly the most ‎terrible experience I had with hotels in my life, and it happened in Amsterdam. Now I ‎feel like I was mugged. ‎

Guys, anyone here has the contact address of the authority in charge of hotels in ‎Amsterdam? I would be grateful. Please send it to my e-mail: soori2004@yahoo.com. ‎

Thank you for reading this.‎

Regards, ‎
H. S.‎

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Sen2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Old as it was from 18th century.
Dirty as like it has been cleaned properly in ages.
Broken and torn items, on a rate of 0/10, the room was a 0. That bad.
Servicedesk was unfriendly, rude, not helpful, especially the elderly men and women.
Bar, strange enough they´re throwing parties in the bar downstairs like it is The Hilton!
Put that money into construction for room upgrades.
Overall this is more an in bad shape shelter or youth hostel, I think you have better options overthere.
Why aren´t travelagency´s checking their company´s-hotels before they allow them to advertise on their websites. I am really upset about this such an unpleasant trip.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple