“Nice rooms but bad location and service”

Dutch Design Hotel Artemis
Ranked #111 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here after purchasing a mystery deal through lastminute.com. For being described as "on the edge of the city centre", it was very misleading. We were not expecting to have to commute 30 minutes+ into the city every day. What's worse is that the hotel staff could not be bothered explaining the directions to the tram, so when we just missed our bus on the first day (it only comes every half an hour) we were forced to figure out our own way to the tram station.

The service in general was pretty bad. Our television would not work, as it said our room had been checked out. We called the reception every night for three nights and were told that the system was down and they could not do anything to fix it. For three nights in a row?! When we left, the manager tried to charge us for about 10 items from the minibar, despite the fact that we had never even opened the fridge. Instead of apologising for the error in the fridge sensor, she was very rude and aggressive and basically accused us of lying. We also found the staff at breakfast to be very snappy and rude, which was poor considering how overpriced the stale food was.

We also got quite a small room, with two single beds. Not ideal for a romantic anniversary weekend! The room was very clean and comfortable, however. Even though we paid half price for the room, I still think we were overcharged! I would much rather stay in the actual city centre in a hostel, than return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you check to see if you are ordering single or double beds!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tarapig
There are newer reviews for Dutch Design Hotel Artemis

Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a week in one of their smoking superior queen rooms. Apart from the ashtray there was no evidence that it was a smoking room, no smell, nothing. It was clean, and most of the furnishing was in good condition. They had great lighting in the bathroom, but the screen on the bath never had a seal, so every time I had a shower water got on the floor. The bed was amazing! Really cushioned but not too soft. Breakfast wasn't included and it was quite pricey per day, about 16 euros.

We were on the 8th floor so I thought we would have a good view, however since it's in a residential area there wasn't much to see.

As for the location; although it wasn't in the centre of amsterdam it wasn't too far to get there. We took a tram to the centre everyday, which we never had to wait more than 5 minutes for and the tram stop was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. We got a 4 day travel pass on the first day which was a good investment as we used the transport a lot, I would definitely reccommend getting one (they sell them at Centraal station).

I would love to stay at this hotel again! Its a really scenic view to cycle and you get to see the residential part of Amsterdam.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Vicky B
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Very nice hotel, I've ben there twice last month because was perfectly located for my purposes. Not the best located though for visiting Amsterdam, although there's a bus stop in front of the hotel that takes you to Leidseplein, every 1/2 hour. It takes 15 minutes approx.
Clean room, nice bathroom, large tube, breakfast is ok, restaurant is also good. So the hotel won't disappoint you, just weigh up if the location is good enough for you.

Room Tip: Been there twice and both bedrooms were fine. But I would avoid a room close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Holdenn
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel is closed to Schiphol Airport, 10’ time distance. The taxi fare is 23 EUR.
During working days it is possible to take bus no.195 (5 ‘walking distance from the hotel) and get out at IBM stop. The fare is 6 EUR/person.
Artemis is located on a quite and green area, far way from the city’s crowd. In the neighborhood there are several multinational HQ and residential appartments,nothing else to see & to do.
The hotel is addressed more to business trips, guided tours and round trips. For tourists coming as individual the hotel is far way from city’s centre : you can take bus no.145 (right behind the hotel) till Leidseplein ( around 15 ‘),the fare is 2 EUR or tram no.2 ( 15 ‘ walking distance from the hotel + 20/30 min by tram) to Leidseplein ,Dam Square or Central Station, the fare being 2,70 EUR. If travelling more than 3 times/day it is better to buy a GVB day pass for 7, 50 EUR.
But we knew from the very beginning about the distance, it is not the hotel fault.
Our reservation was for a superior twin room. At the check-in we were very disappointed for the room received (no 147). It was quite small, with old furniture and nothing spectacular as mentioned on the hotel’s site presentation. .Forget about “a deluxe 4 star modern design hotel, and design rooms”. Very small bathroom, few toiletteries available.
I asked the lady from the front desk to change the room pointing that is difficult to spend 5 nights in such a small room. Her answer was so rude, stating that all rooms are de same (untrue, I read reviews on Trip Adv) .Of course it was no way to make a change. For the first day we had to ask for towels.
There is a cold atmosphere, nothing to make you feel comfortable and relaxed on this hotel.
At the lobby the furniture needs to be refurbished.
Breakfast is a usual, continental type, few things available, the same day by day. No label for the food, you have to guess what it is (especially for the yogurt).Disappointed for the breakfast service (cleaning tables, dirty floor).
Great service and food at the restaurant for lunch and dinner. Even though it is quite expensive, you can find healthy and tasty food.

Room Tip: there are different kind of rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank strumph
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This exact time last year I would be in my room at the Artemis sleeping on the most comfortable mattress. I am feeling extremely nostalgic, so I will write my review now. The Hotel is very far form the city, but I knew that before I booked the vacation. I got a great deal from Travelocity that couldn't be beat. Know what you are getting before you book this hotel. It really is in the middle of a business district and the Hotel is hidden by tall buildings. It takes about twenty minutes to get into the heart of Amsterdam by Tram. The walk to the Tram from the hotel is about 15 minutes. This didn't bother me me cause we only slept in the hotel and spent all day in the city. The hotel was IMMACULATE. Other hotels in the same price range but located in the city looked extremely filthy when I researched them. I can not knock the hotel for being far because I did my research ahead of time and knew what to expect. The only thing I had an issue with was the shower. My partner and I are still trying to figure out how to properly use the shower without flooding the bathroom floor. Management should really post instructions. Once the bathroom floor flooded we would wipe the water up with the bath towels. This didn't go over to well with the maid service. Holland is very GREEN. The maid service would have to replace all of our towels the next day and would leave us subtle hints on how we shouldn't use all of the towels in one day. The first day we got there, there was a laminated piece of paper hidden UNDER the towels stating how green the hotel is and how we should reuse the towels. By our last day the maids depleted the number of towels they left us and left the sign in much more noticeable places. I found it amusing. I love the Artemis.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeanMikey
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We organized a training offsite for 12 with rooms and meals. The location is perfect - close to the airport for travellers and close to the city for excursions - but far enough away to hold staff attention. The art theme is good, the restaurant food way above average! Service was excellent from checking through to dinner in spite of a packed restaurant.

Meeting rooms were nice - good views with minimal distraction perfect for a group up to 20. The mid day snacks were good and the Beamer and screen were offered as part of our package. We requested wifi and additional outlets and received at no additional charge. Will use again!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Thomas Z
Reviewed 4 May 2012

if you want to stay in Amsterdam and enjoy the delights and sights of this great city, then this is not the hotel for you. In the middle of nowhere, a business district, there are no local restaurants, pubs, or even areas to walk.
The rooms are very nice, the hotel design is quirky, the restaurant ( kitchen) pretty average, but a tram, or even more expensive Amsterdam taxis. cost a fortune to get into the city centre.
Frnkly, it could be a hotel anywhere

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business