“THE OWNER ASSAULTED ME! (and the room was disgraceful.)”

Amsterdam Hostel Centre
Amsterdam Hostel Centre
Ranked #309 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
York, England, United Kingdom
“THE OWNER ASSAULTED ME! (and the room was disgraceful.)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hostel is undoubtedly the worst I have ever stayed in. Myself and 4 friends stayed on the top floor in what was supposedly a 5 man room. The room was approximately 2.5 metres squared, with a single peep hole window. There was absolutely no room to move and it was ridiculously hot and musty: Far too hot to wear a tshirt at any point in the room (this is in no way an exaggeration). And the icing on the cake? The lightbulb did not work, leading us to christen the room "The Black Hole of Calcutta".

However, this was by no means the worst thing about our experience. The staff are some of the rudest people I have ever met and the manager physically assaulted me.

One of our friends had come back early from a night out to go to sleep in the room, and therefore we could not get in our room as each party only gets one key. I went down to the reception to see if the owner could let us in (he was awake every night and always scowled at the guests). I knocked on the door and he came out, when I asked very politely and quietly "I'm really Sorry I know it's late but would you mind just letting us in the room as one of our friends has locked us out?" He stared at me with a grimace for about ten seconds so I repeated myself, at which point he grabbed me by the neck and pinned me against the wall and shouted "Why you so stupid, you wake up all the guests, [--] off!" (A bit ironic as his shouting did wake everyone up.) He then tried to fine me 250 euros, whilst still holding my neck, at which point I shouted back and told him that the streets were probably more comfortble than our room etc. My friends came down the stairs and we threatened to ring the police as we knew I had been very very polite and had done nothing wrong and it was all on CCTV. He then reluctantly let us in the room.

Just to clarify we are all very polite people and had done absolutely nothing wrong. We were not noisy in any way shape or form. He was just an incredibly aggressive and nasty man who resented all the guests.

The positives - no bed bugs as reported and a good location, but avoid this hostel at all costs. There are much cheaper and better hostels around. It did not ruin our trip but it came seriously close.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank James D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

First of all i went with one other friend there, the staff were very rude and looked like They hate his job. When we was in the room two guys told us that they were leaving because yesterday they slept there and woke up filled with bug bites. They ask for their money back but people in reception did not accepted that bug infestation even when they show their marks. We still slept there because we have already payed. And in the next day morning guess what, all the people in the room were with huge bug bites and there were blood marks in the sheets. Actually one guy told me later that he has recorded a video in Youtube showing the bugs running out of the lineen that of course was reported. So think twice before going there!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location of the hostel is good, not far from most things. The sheets and bedding were clean which was good. They gave you a free map aswell.
The bad things were the amount of really steep steps up to the room, the bathroom REALLY smelt, it was soo bad! Also, you have to give a deposit for the key and the reception was closed when i was leaving so i lost out on the money. Also, the bar opposite blazed loud music until really late at night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hostel was nothing special. It was pretty expensive, but the location was fantastic. Literally a minute away from some of Amsterdam's best nightlife. Very close to the tram if you need it, but there really is no need. Anne Frank House and The Heineken Factory are about 10-15 minutes away by foot. About a 20 minute walk to the Red Light district. Very nice location but the facilities weren't anything special. In fact, the shower in the en-suite was just a spout. No kind of indent in the floor to catch the water or curtain, it was sort of just...there. There were lockers in the rooms but they were still in the boxes they were delivered in. If you can find a cheaper place to stay I'd recommend that, but if all else fails, this place isn't terrible. The stairs were a bit dangerous too. Very narrow and on a steep incline.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Place was exactly what we needed. Were only in Amsterdam for the one night, and knew we'd spend most of it out on the town so all we were after was a bed for a few hours. It was very cost effective and did exactly what we wanted it to. There were four of us, we were all in the same room and there was a toilet and shower nearby. It was fine for what it was, but don't be expecting the Hilton.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JMertz
Stadt Geesthacht, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

The Hostel is very well located, the bedroom was Ok, but the bathrooms were not that clean.
Its a place to sleep....
I would recomend to people who dont have problems if not fancy Hostels

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Matias S
Nyon, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

Stayed in for 2 nights with friends but would definitely not recommend this place to anyone. This place was wet, not clean at all (I even wonder if blanket are changed after the check out) and dangerous socket to plug your stuff in. Didn't even tried the breakfast. No curtains, noisy streets (well that not the worst). For this price you can find far much better in AMS.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends