“terrible service”

Amsterdam Hostel Centre
Ranked #319 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
“terrible service”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I made a booking for 2 persons a month before my arrival. The booking was accepted, I received a booking confirmation and an amount was debited from my credic card for the reservation.

Driving to the hostel, at 7 PM in the evening I got a call from the hostel my credit card was refused and they cancelled my reservation, there was no more place in the hostel. Instead of that the hostel advised another hostel, 5km more outside the center and more expensive.

It's clear to me that they overbooked or made another mistake (a small fee was already debited from my credit card for the reservation). Instead of admitting this mistake and making up for it they completely failed me and my friend.

I advise everyone to not book at this hostel, you might get ditched and not have any place to stay when you arrive in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Esger M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hostel proposes one of the best location in Amsterdam.
Price: It is not cheap, but it was way cheaper than every other places in A'dam when I stayed there for the Easter weekend.

That's an hostel for those who do not care about comfort and just want to sleep in the center of the city, do not expect quality, cleanness, etc...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Saint Germans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at what was then the Hotel Granada in March 2011, with a group of friends. I'd go so far as to say it was the worst accommodation I've ever experienced. The room was hideously unclean, with stained and probably unwashed bedding, what appeared to be blood on the wall and a ripped piece of cloth masquerading as a curtain on the very dirty window.

The showering facilities were an absolute joke. The one "shower" was in what was clearly once a small cupboard about 3ft by 3ft big, with a motion-sensitive light that went off every 2 minutes plunging you into complete darkness mid-shower. There was nowhere to put your fresh clothes so i literally wrapped them up in a bin liner so they'd stay somewhat dry & threw them on the second i was done. It's was ridiculous!

The only good thing about this place was the location. Well placed within Amsterdam and close to many amenities. The Bourbon Street music club across the street was also fantastic and a great place to hang out at until we absolutely had to go back to the room.

All in all, never again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The room I got seemed like jail, no windows and tiny with 2 bunkbeds. It had a sink inside, really dark and depressive. The shared bathroom is horrible. It's got no courtain so everything gets wet, they leave a floor squeege for you to clean once you're finished.
There's no kitchen, the reception is very small and reception opens at 9Am. The 1st floor bathroom is beside reception, so it can't be used until they open.
Entrance is a bit hidden.

To be fair, it's well located and although staff was ok, the place is not.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Juan G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I rate it 4 stars because this hostel does not deserve the 2 star average. I have been to many hostels so:
We were 3 single students straight out of college living in New York, on our first trip to Europe alone. The hostel was tiny, lots of stairs, breakfast was very limited, bathrooms were tiny and rooms were cramped - but it was a cheap and safe, and the staff was helpful. We had no other expectations. One night when we came back super wasted the manager came out and told us to keep it down on the staircase and go back into our room - at the time we were upset, but you know what, it was 3AM and we were wasted - he was right. Internet was pretty fast and free. Location pretty good. If you are looking for comfort and quiet - this is probably not for you. But then again, you better be prepared to pay at least double for a similar location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed in this hostel with 7 friends for 3 nights, having 1 room to ourselves. Firstly, the staff were ok, I think other reviews were quite harsh, we checked in and were pretty much left alone after that except being told to be quiet (but to be fair it was gone 3am and we were quite loud). However, upon arrival, being a group of 18 to 19 year olds, it would have been nice to have previously been told about "CITY TAX" prior to booking. adding an extra 5 euros, which isn't too much but still would have been nice to have been mentioned on the website/phone when booking.
Secondly, the room was pretty damp, dirty and dark. The bathroom was ridiculous. It was a wet room, the shower being right above the toilet, so that everytime you showered you would drench the toilet seat......There was no toilet lid either. Also it was a pain there was nowhere to get changed privately in the bathroom because the whole floor would be wet after showering. In general, the bathroom walls were dirty and obviously hadn't been cleaned in a long time - if ever! The bunk beds were riddled with BED BUGS. Each person I stayed with ended up covered in BITES on face/arms. Obviously, the pillow cases/sheets/duvet covers had clearly not been washed whatsoever and smelt vile. Also, the balcony door was half falling off - just asking to be accidentally broken and then to be charged for... so watch out.
At nightime, the street the hostel is on is very very noisy and would not recommend for families or just most people that enjoy a nights sleep.....
I would definitely not stay here again......it was not worth the price, would rather spend a bit more money than have sleepless/smelly/bitten nights.
Considering I went with a group of 18 to 19 year old's who are hardly expecting the Ritz, it was really not brilliant, infact it wasn't even adequate. If this place was inspected by a health and safety officer.........I don't think it would be in business somehow...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The staff were all really friendly and guided me in the right direction as to good places to go in town. The rooms are very small and some of the lockers didn't work properly so I always had to keep my valuables with me throughout the trip. It was hard to get onto the top bunk without a ladder when trying not to wake anybody up. I woke up on my last day covered in bites so would suspect bed bugs which wasn't pleasant. This said, the location is excellent for restaurants, night life and city sights.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo