“Amazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Marcel's Creative Exchange
Ranked #153 of 331 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Ahmedabad, India
“Amazing”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We were 3 couples on a weekend trip to Amsterdam. We had originally booked Marcel's, but cancelled it owing to popular vote in the group. Instead, we foolishly booked a hotel in the middle of Red Light District. Needless to say, it turned out to be disastrous. Everything from location to cleanliness to everything was wrong in that hotel.

Next day morning we called Marcel up asking if he still has availability. He did and I went to his place right away and we talked for some time, and he decided to give us rooms. As it turns out, we had a great time after that and Marcel pretty much saved our Amsterdam trip!

Marcel's place is one wonderful home. Very artistic, very stylish, and amazingly organized. The rooms are extremely comfortable. You can read about rooms from several other posts, but the charm of the place is Marcel himself. Once the comfort sets in, Marcel is just a great guy to talk to. He is so talented and it can be seen in the interior design of his house. This place isn't a B&B, so don't expect a cooked breakfast. There is a kitchen available with a coffee machine, microwave oven, and china and cutlery.

One thing we really enjoyed was an evening spent on his terrace garden. He gladly allowed us to use it and the weather was perfect as well.

All in all, a great place, a great guy, and if he likes you - he will be a great host! I highly highly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange for a place to say in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dipam S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Port Moody
Reviewed 2 May 2012

As a solo female traveller, it was important to find a place to stay which was safe and secure, tidy, and welcoming. Marcel's Creative Exchange was all of this and more. No other time in all of my travels over the years have I met a more gracious and warm host. Marcel brings with him vast knowledge of the ctiy's history and culture, along with decorated beautifully home, with touches of class everywhere. Examples of his award winning graphic designs and artwork are hung throughout the gorgeous home. I stayed in the Garden Suite, which had its own patio. The amenities were more than adequate, the bed wonderfully comfortable, with no concerns about safety or security. Marcel sat with me on my arrival (earlier than one would be able to arrive if staying at a hotel) and asked me about my interests, and devised an itinerary for me, complete with favourite bistros, breakfast places, etc. He offered me free tickets to the wonderful historical movie house. As they say, location location location! I was exactly where I needed to be to see it all, within walking distance (along Prinzengracht) to Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, canal boat tours, floating flower market, and many more 'must see' points of interest. I would highly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange to anyone travelling to Amsterdam, and in fact, would not stay anywhere else. Amazing value for the money, and knowing what one gets in Europe size-wise for hotel rooms, this is a far better choice. Bravo Marcel for offering such an amazing home and wonderful experience. I shall return, and have already recommended your lovely home to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: The garden suite had its own private patio, which was a nice extra. Very spacious suite, high quali...
Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We are a couple who stayed with our teenage grand-daughter in Marcel's apartment for 5 nights. His attention to every detail of our visit was unexpected and outstanding. Because we had Dutch friends who were taking us places every day, we were not able to enjoy most of his plans for us. However, on our first free day he did plan a walking excursion that we would never have seen otherwise. Staying at Marcel's is unbelieveably safe and unique. We never even locked our doors because we were in his secure home. However, we had full privacy. The value for the amount of space we had (two bedrooms, toilet, shower, kitchen) was amazing. Marcel's art collections are everywhere. In some ways it was like staying in a museum. He also owns the oldest movie theater in Holland and took us on a private tour of it (via the wardrobe, much like going into Narnia!). It was the experience of going back in time 100 years in a matter of a couple of minutes and some backstage stairs. I'm sure not many visitors to Amsterdam will ever see what Marcel provides. On a personal side, with Marcel time is not nearly as important as people. He is so good to help you just relax, forget schedules, listen to his great adventures, and enjoy the present moment. After an overseas flight we found that was a perfect way to begin a few days of pleasure before we began to lead a conference. There are only two qualifications I would give. One is that breakfast is not included. This was definitely not a problem for us because there were fully equipped coffee-making facilities in our own kitchen and the corner bakery with fresh pastries is only a minute away. The other qualification is that there are a lot of steep stairs and no lift. At first I found this daunting but then enjoyed taking them slowly and finding that each step led us to our aerie retreat with a perfect view of the busy life on Leidsestraat. It may be that you need to make arrangements for someone to carry your luggage upstairs if you are not able to negotiate it. Our advice is: don't miss such an opportunity if you get it. You will be remembering Marcel and the Creative Exchange adventure long after you return home! Thanks, Marcel, for the memories!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SCB2012
Raanana
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Very stylish, but still feels like home (better to say - the home you would like to have). The powerful story of the building, what Marcel has created from it, the old cinema he has renovated.. It's not only the beautiful decoration - it's also about the guest you are able to meet there - in this sense this is a real creative exchange between guests coming from arts, everybody there had to do something with culture - artists, producer etc. Marcel is such an interesting person who can talk for hours and you will stay fascinated by him. I couldn't wish to stay at any better place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My friend and i stayed at Marcel's home for our annual jolly. I must stress this B&B is Marcel's home and he was very welcoming and took time out to explain the area and give advice. The house is in a great location and we felt very secure whilst we stayed there. Our room was lovely with all the facilities we needed and had access to the kitchen to make tea or coffee.
The downside to our stay and the reason we have only rated 3 out of 5 is due to a few things: firstly the bathroom mirror and sink weren't clean ( however Marcel did explain he was having some language issues with his cleaner ); secondly due to this being Marcel's home he started playing music above our room at 8am which i wouldn't appreciate with or without a hangover! And finally Marcel's almost accusing nature when he couldn't find a corkscrew ( for the record the wine we drank was screw cap! ).
Overall we enjoyed our stay but you need to appreciate this is this gentleman's home and he may not be everyone's cup of tea

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I recently attended the biggest trade show for my industry in Europe, IBC 2011. After a tiring overnight flight we arrived at Marcel's door. He greeted our team warmly and explained the ins-and-outs of life in Amsterdam to those of us not familiar with life in the heart of the city.

The rooms are wonderfully appointed and extremely comfortable. Marcel has a spectacular collection of art and furnishings. I stayed in the Style Room, Marcel lit the fireplace in my room each night and put fresh sunflowers on my desk. It's the small things that make staying at Marcels so wonderful.

Marcel is a fantastic host with a warm heart. He takes the time to ensure that his guests are relaxed and feel welcome in a foreign city. When he found out about the tragic state of the food at the RAI during our show, he contacted a wonderful associate who opened her doors to pack us the most delicious sandwiches, truly saving us from the typical show food. Thanks to Marcel and Cora for making sure we got through the trade show safe, relaxed, and well fed.

I cannot say enough about his hospitality, caring, and beautiful home. There is no other place in Amsterdam I would consider staying.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Sun City Center, Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Marcel's home is in the midst of Amsterdam. You are guests in his home and the accommodations are quite comfortable. I'd recommend this B&B to everyone, especially women on their first visit to Amsterdam. Marcel is an international graphic artist and designer with some of his work as wall decorations so guests can see his talent. He also takes the time to get to know his guests and make excellent recommendations for your stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family