“Marcel's exuberance, love of art and Amsterdam are beautifully contagious!”

Marcel's Creative Exchange
Ranked #142 of 340 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed at Marcel's place for 3 weeks in May (studying at a course), and I could not have asked for a better place to stay and enjoy Amsterdam... It is a unique experience, stepping into an established and well-known artist's studio and home, and having the benefit of a local institution like Marcel (who seems to know everyone and everything that happens in Amsterdam) who was so incredibly warm and hospitable - completely made my trip to Amsterdam.

I thoroughly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange to anyone who is turned off by bland, sterile large hotel chains, and want to experience what it is like to live with an incredibly colourful, friendly host who regales you with stories from some of his amazing life experiences. Marcel is incredibly energizing, and his love for his city (and his beautiful art) is incredibly contagious as you see the city through the lens of his tips, personal contacts at restaurants and cafes, etc.

I loved the fact the place is perched on top of the oldest cinema in the Netherlands (and you get to watch movies there for free as Marcel's guests)... Loved additionally the cozy rooms (I had the 1 bedroom suite for 2 weeks and for a few days moved to the single room downstairs) - and the location is just incredibly perfect on Leidsestraat.

Really - I intend on staying at Marcel's each and every time I return to Amsterdam.

Thoroughly recommended for the independent-minded traveller who values interaction with a great host, and likes casual luxury.

Room Tip: The top one bedroom suite is fantastically sized. The lower rooms are smaller but very cozy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank quixoticnomad

Reviewed 8 October 2012

If you search a magic, perfect, beautiful place. If you want to fell like at home. If you serach a strategic position. If you love design. If you want to live a unique experience ...
At Marcel's Creative Exchange you will find at 100%.You can feel harmony in every corner of this house.
It's the firts time that i found abroad a solution so perfect.
I'm totally in love with this house in the centre of Amsterdam .. walking you can reach all the interesting and beautiful parts of this city.
Moreover The host, Marcel, is one of the most interesting, nice, helpfull person that i ever met.
He can suggests you the best to do in the city.
I miss this house , Marcel, Amsterdam ... so much!!!!!!! I ll never forget it !

Giulia from Italy

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Marcel is a jewel! His advice, restaurant recommendations, knowledge of this fabulous city and cheerful helpfulness made our trip an outstanding vacation. His home is so unique and comfortable. Art surrounds you everywhere and brings out your own creativity. We felt very welcomed and had plenty of privacy too. The location could not have been better, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted. Great find, we'll be back!

Worth noting: Marcel has coffee waiting for you but does not serve breakfast, however you're in the pancake capitol of the world, we enjoyed all of the breakfasts we had at nearby restaurants. Also, there are a lot of stairs to get to the rooms, it didn't bother us, but might be an issue for some people.

Room Tip: Marcel has coffee waiting for you but does not serve breakfast, however you're in the pancake ca...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

This is the best place to stay in Amsterdam. Marcel was so helpful and friendly. The location was perfect. The price was very reasonable. I was so excited to stay in a proper Amsterdam house. You must stay here if visiting the beautiful city.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We were 3 couples on a weekend trip to Amsterdam. We had originally booked Marcel's, but cancelled it owing to popular vote in the group. Instead, we foolishly booked a hotel in the middle of Red Light District. Needless to say, it turned out to be disastrous. Everything from location to cleanliness to everything was wrong in that hotel.

Next day morning we called Marcel up asking if he still has availability. He did and I went to his place right away and we talked for some time, and he decided to give us rooms. As it turns out, we had a great time after that and Marcel pretty much saved our Amsterdam trip!

Marcel's place is one wonderful home. Very artistic, very stylish, and amazingly organized. The rooms are extremely comfortable. You can read about rooms from several other posts, but the charm of the place is Marcel himself. Once the comfort sets in, Marcel is just a great guy to talk to. He is so talented and it can be seen in the interior design of his house. This place isn't a B&B, so don't expect a cooked breakfast. There is a kitchen available with a coffee machine, microwave oven, and china and cutlery.

One thing we really enjoyed was an evening spent on his terrace garden. He gladly allowed us to use it and the weather was perfect as well.

All in all, a great place, a great guy, and if he likes you - he will be a great host! I highly highly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange for a place to say in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dipam S
Reviewed 2 May 2012

As a solo female traveller, it was important to find a place to stay which was safe and secure, tidy, and welcoming. Marcel's Creative Exchange was all of this and more. No other time in all of my travels over the years have I met a more gracious and warm host. Marcel brings with him vast knowledge of the ctiy's history and culture, along with decorated beautifully home, with touches of class everywhere. Examples of his award winning graphic designs and artwork are hung throughout the gorgeous home. I stayed in the Garden Suite, which had its own patio. The amenities were more than adequate, the bed wonderfully comfortable, with no concerns about safety or security. Marcel sat with me on my arrival (earlier than one would be able to arrive if staying at a hotel) and asked me about my interests, and devised an itinerary for me, complete with favourite bistros, breakfast places, etc. He offered me free tickets to the wonderful historical movie house. As they say, location location location! I was exactly where I needed to be to see it all, within walking distance (along Prinzengracht) to Anne Frank House, Van Gogh Museum, canal boat tours, floating flower market, and many more 'must see' points of interest. I would highly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange to anyone travelling to Amsterdam, and in fact, would not stay anywhere else. Amazing value for the money, and knowing what one gets in Europe size-wise for hotel rooms, this is a far better choice. Bravo Marcel for offering such an amazing home and wonderful experience. I shall return, and have already recommended your lovely home to friends and colleagues.

Room Tip: The garden suite had its own private patio, which was a nice extra. Very spacious suite, high quali...
Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We are a couple who stayed with our teenage grand-daughter in Marcel's apartment for 5 nights. His attention to every detail of our visit was unexpected and outstanding. Because we had Dutch friends who were taking us places every day, we were not able to enjoy most of his plans for us. However, on our first free day he did plan a walking excursion that we would never have seen otherwise. Staying at Marcel's is unbelieveably safe and unique. We never even locked our doors because we were in his secure home. However, we had full privacy. The value for the amount of space we had (two bedrooms, toilet, shower, kitchen) was amazing. Marcel's art collections are everywhere. In some ways it was like staying in a museum. He also owns the oldest movie theater in Holland and took us on a private tour of it (via the wardrobe, much like going into Narnia!). It was the experience of going back in time 100 years in a matter of a couple of minutes and some backstage stairs. I'm sure not many visitors to Amsterdam will ever see what Marcel provides. On a personal side, with Marcel time is not nearly as important as people. He is so good to help you just relax, forget schedules, listen to his great adventures, and enjoy the present moment. After an overseas flight we found that was a perfect way to begin a few days of pleasure before we began to lead a conference. There are only two qualifications I would give. One is that breakfast is not included. This was definitely not a problem for us because there were fully equipped coffee-making facilities in our own kitchen and the corner bakery with fresh pastries is only a minute away. The other qualification is that there are a lot of steep stairs and no lift. At first I found this daunting but then enjoyed taking them slowly and finding that each step led us to our aerie retreat with a perfect view of the busy life on Leidsestraat. It may be that you need to make arrangements for someone to carry your luggage upstairs if you are not able to negotiate it. Our advice is: don't miss such an opportunity if you get it. You will be remembering Marcel and the Creative Exchange adventure long after you return home! Thanks, Marcel, for the memories!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business