Marcel's Creative Exchange
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel V Nesplein(Amsterdam)
US$202
US$302
US$247
  • Restaurant
All reviewslocation was perfecthotel roomaccommodationsstairscityprivacysink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I wrote this to Marcel and he asked me to share it with you. It was exactly what we needed and would never stay anywhere else in Amsterdam.

Dear Marcel,

I was one of the lucky people that had the complete pleasure of residing in you establishment for a week.

I was with my boyfriend at the time and we were both deeply effected by September 11th. In fact, you were so understanding that you were so open to our schedules. A week or more later, we came to your guesthouse, shellshocked and sad. (My father was in 7 World Trade and survived.)

Not only did you reach out to us with open heart, you were a great Ambassador for Amsterdam. I remember waking up to America's National Anthem.

I am very grateful that we left a smoldering city and into your arms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed at Marcel's place for 3 weeks in May (studying at a course), and I could not have asked for a better place to stay and enjoy Amsterdam... It is a unique experience, stepping into an established and well-known artist's studio and home, and having the benefit of a local institution like Marcel (who seems to know everyone and everything that happens in Amsterdam) who was so incredibly warm and hospitable - completely made my trip to Amsterdam.

I thoroughly recommend Marcel's Creative Exchange to anyone who is turned off by bland, sterile large hotel chains, and want to experience what it is like to live with an incredibly colourful, friendly host who regales you with stories from some of his amazing life experiences. Marcel is incredibly energizing, and his love for his city (and his beautiful art) is incredibly contagious as you see the city through the lens of his tips, personal contacts at restaurants and cafes, etc.

I loved the fact the place is perched on top of the oldest cinema in the Netherlands (and you get to watch movies there for free as Marcel's guests)... Loved additionally the cozy rooms (I had the 1 bedroom suite for 2 weeks and for a few days moved to the single room downstairs) - and the location is just incredibly perfect on Leidsestraat.

Really - I intend on staying at Marcel's each and every time I return to Amsterdam.

Thoroughly recommended for the independent-minded traveller who values interaction with a great host, and likes casual luxury.

Room Tip: The top one bedroom suite is fantastically sized. The lower rooms are smaller but very cozy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank quixoticnomad
Reviewed 8 October 2012

If you search a magic, perfect, beautiful place. If you want to fell like at home. If you serach a strategic position. If you love design. If you want to live a unique experience ...
At Marcel's Creative Exchange you will find at 100%.You can feel harmony in every corner of this house.
It's the firts time that i found abroad a solution so perfect.
I'm totally in love with this house in the centre of Amsterdam .. walking you can reach all the interesting and beautiful parts of this city.
Moreover The host, Marcel, is one of the most interesting, nice, helpfull person that i ever met.
He can suggests you the best to do in the city.
I miss this house , Marcel, Amsterdam ... so much!!!!!!! I ll never forget it !

Giulia from Italy

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Marcel is a jewel! His advice, restaurant recommendations, knowledge of this fabulous city and cheerful helpfulness made our trip an outstanding vacation. His home is so unique and comfortable. Art surrounds you everywhere and brings out your own creativity. We felt very welcomed and had plenty of privacy too. The location could not have been better, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted. Great find, we'll be back!

Worth noting: Marcel has coffee waiting for you but does not serve breakfast, however you're in the pancake capitol of the world, we enjoyed all of the breakfasts we had at nearby restaurants. Also, there are a lot of stairs to get to the rooms, it didn't bother us, but might be an issue for some people.

Room Tip: Marcel has coffee waiting for you but does not serve breakfast, however you're in the pancake capitol of the world, we enjoyed all of the breakfasts we had at nearby restaurants. Also there are a lot of stairs to get to rooms, it didn't bother us, but might be an issue for some people.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

This is the best place to stay in Amsterdam. Marcel was so helpful and friendly. The location was perfect. The price was very reasonable. I was so excited to stay in a proper Amsterdam house. You must stay here if visiting the beautiful city.

• Stayed: October 2011