“Unique Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Collector Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Unique Place to Stay”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stay at the clock room for 5 days and 4 nights. Personally, I am so amaze with the interior of the bnb, it’s so unique and interesting since it has display of Karel’s collection all over the place. You can find interesting stuff right the moment you are entering the bnb (at the foyer). It continues until the stairs, the room and the kitchen. Room was amazing, huge, clean and has a nice little balcony with flowers. Kitchen has been our favorite spot since we can do all the cooking and chatting here. I just love the way things are arranged. You can find lots of kitchen utensils, fridge full of juice, milk, and what makes it better; they actually provide fresh eggs from their little chicken coop at the backyard. So cool! Fauzan, the guy who assist the bnb is really nice, informative and helpful as well. He really help us on many things, such as providing information on favorite places to visit, where to shop and little other things. The location also superb, it is so near to the museumplein and the tram station is just in front of the bnb. Really love the place!

Room Tip: the clock is the biggest, but rooms overlooking the backyard is nice as well
1 Thank shintaagni27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Quiet location. Just a short walk away from central town madness. The back rooms are very quiet.
The owner Karel is very pleasant, accommodating yet unobtrusive.
Easy bus ride (197) from Schipol Airport. Other trams also within easy walk. Also direct route to Centraal Station.
Kitchen is set up for guests to use. Stocked with essentials to make own breakfast. Also allows you to eat on your schedule. Supermarket with take out 5minutes away. Nice to get a coffee or tea after a day of tripping about town.
The house is original and decor has interesting hip nostalgic collections.
We loved it here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank EUCANADIANS
Lausanne
Reviewed 26 April 2013

All three rooms have there own character and are decorated with taste. The place is well kept and clean. The kitchen is stocked and equipped with all you need and more for a self-service breakfast. It is conveniently situated; the 3 main Museums are at walking distance (10min), as is the bus stop (5min) for bus n°197 which runs from the airport to town, and the there is a tramway stop right in front of the B&B which will bring you he center. The owner, Karel, was not present at the time but his substitute was very kind, helpful, and not invasive. I now know were to stay If I were to go back to Amsterdam.

2 Thank Chelme
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Cute, clean and chic B&B the bedroom and bathroom felt much higher quality than the price would make you think.

The owner of The Collector is a super lovely guy who will chat if you want to, but will leave you to it if you're not in the mood.

Great breakfast options with fresh eggs from the hens, fresh fruit - whatever!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank allthatkatydid
San Francisco, Ca
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I had a great time at the Collector. The room was large, clean, comfy bed with white comforters. Towel warmer, shower, ( no tub) and sink. A small two person table with free wifi.. .. Best part, cute country kitchen stocked w coffee, eggs, fruit and breakfast stuff. Convenient location...local grocery within walking distance. Close to concertbeuw, musuems, etc. I had great neighboors and a wrought iron balcony with table for two. .
I gave an average because I booked in January for 5 days in March. Thankfully, I checked my reservations two days before leaving and Kaerol realized he made a mistake and overbooked. He had me down for April. I decided to stay at his place for four nights since I was busy with work and did not have time to research places again. We were leavinh for a three week trip. Kaerol kindly offered to find me a place at one of his friends b & b for the fifth night. I was so happy to be on in Amsterdam I assumed he would find a suitable place since he knew other owners.

I should have looked myself. He said he found us a place w a canal view near metro for a 100 euros per night. It was snowing so he dropped us at his friends and sped off. I was appalled when I went upstairs. The room was as big as the collectors bathroom with dingy covers and dirty rug. You had to walk sideways by the bed. The bathroom was a lil bigger. It had a tub. The canal view was gross... a view of trash dumpsters and trash that accumulated at the brick walled-up-end of the canal. Around the corner was the university of Amsterdam. It looked like the lady made as many old dingy dorm rooms as possible out of the flat. Oh I forgot to mention she wanted $100 euros in cash as soon as we walked in the door... I should of known.

It was our last day so we made the best of it by being gone all day at the Hermitage Museum.

Would I refer someone to the Collector yes... Would I trust Kareol ..not so much...

BTW to be fair I asked for a credit due to his error and he took 30 euros off of my bill. According to his body language, he wasn't happy about my request so I said any discount would be appreciated.

Regardless, I still feel I was ripped off since I paid 100 euros in cash and received no receipt for a room that was below standard. Clearly, it was student housing acting as a B&B.

Room Tip: Hear people in kitchen ..... Ok if you are early riser...we had the clock room....
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ponygirl64
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We had a brillant time at The Collector - it felt like a home from home. The bus from the airport stops outside as does the tram to the city ans I had my 79 year old Mum with me. We were made to feel very welcome and the room was large, with very comfy beds - even a small balcony, though it was too cold to make use of this! The " help yourself breakfast" was such a great idea as you could have your meal whenever you chose - with different breads; cheese; meats; egges; cereal; bacon; jams; yougut; fresh fruit..... We often had a brunch type meal before heading out for the day - and it was so useful being able to bring food back form the supermarket to heat in the microwave as eating out is quite expensive. Would go back and will recommend to others.

1 Thank karenkelland
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This was my second stay at the Collector, and for just one night, unfortunately. It’s in a perfect location from which you can walk to many museums and sights. If you’re tired, the trams, including the airport service, are right outside. The rooms are large, comfortable and tastefully decorated. Both stays, my room has overlooked the garden and there’s a balcony for the summer. It’s great to have the use of the kitchen and for the self serve breakfast, there is a plentiful and high quality selection of food. Karel is kind, considerate and helpful. I hope to return for a longer time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple