“Best record store in the country ”
Review of Concerto

Concerto
Ranked #25 of 334 Shopping in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: A music shop selling rare and eclectic music.
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I've been coming here since I was fourteen years old. Without a doubt Concerto is the best record store in the country. Huge and very varied collection, also in second hand.

3  Thank Sander H

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

If you're a music fan and you're thinking about taking something that is music related as a souvenir or gift, this is the place to go. I've found dozens of vinyls I didn't even know they sold in stores and none of them were over twenty euros (except double LP's, obviously). You can perfectly open them up and try them on some turn-tables to see if they're in good condition and there is a wide selection of second-hand vinyls ranging from free-jazz artists like Sun-Ra to surf rock essentials like The Beach Boys. There's lots of classical music as well but what really grabbed my attention was the amount of contemporary and rare LP's I found in here. I found several Krautrock vinyls including Can and Faust (for those interested in the genre) and other more recent artists like Tame Impala or Foxygen. The store also features classics for very reasonable prices like Velvet Underground and Nico's LP or the widely famous "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart. Up until now I've only talked about recordings, but the store also sells equipment such as turn-tables or headphones. I didn't have much time to take a good look at what they sold in terms of the equipment because I wasn't going to buy any in the first place, but having in mind how wide their selection of LPs was, I'm sure they sold great products. You can also go there and grab a coffee or a quick bite, as the store also has a cafe, but I didn't buy anything either; I went straight to the vinyls!

3  Thank Pablo A
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I first visited this store in passing with my partner, a local of many years standing. I later took my visiting 18-year-old nephew along and set him loose to indulge his cravings for vintage 'drum'n'bass' (I know...!). I now live very close-by and visit often, usually to browse and sometimes for a coffee in their wonderful café (best appeltaart in Amsterdam!). This is basically four or five stores in one and is actually located in a series of interconnected shop frontages. Here you will find classical to avant-garde, second-hand vinyl and the latest super-expensive headphones. Want that obscure arthouse movie on DVD? Its sure to be here. Looking for a good read? That's here too. I thoroughly recommend a visit to this fabulous store and the exciting shopping street in which it sits (Utrechtsestraat).

2  Thank ABNKC
Reviewed 5 June 2013

It occupies 5 shops in Utrechtsestraat (which is a good shopping street) selling CDs, DVDs, LP both old and new. They are organised via genres e.g. pop, rock, metal, blues and jazz etc, very systematic, I would say.

It's a heaven for LP lovers, they even sell turntables. The staffs are helpful and very knowledgeable but never intrusive of your space. You can literally spend easily more than 1 hour here, running through their extensive selection. One of the shops is dedicated for LP and the staffs are happy to assist with pre-orders if need arises. Truly a paradise for music fans!

2  Thank paulyn y
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Although I'm living in The Netherlands for all my life, last weekend was the first time I visited Concerto. I love record stores in general but I completely fell in love with this store. It has a hugh vinyl department (both new and second hand) and they also have their own coffee and lunchroom. So after browsing all their records you are able to admire you're new records while enjoying a cup of coffee and your breakfast/lunch. Highly recommendable!

1  Thank Michieleke