“Like staying in a local friend's home”
Review of B&B Barangay

B&B Barangay
Ranked #6 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Like staying in a local friend's home”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Great location. 3 mins walk from central train station, and within 30 mins to majority of the sites and museums.

Fantastic breakfast. The brown bread, jam, ham.... are all delicious. Thumbs up to the coffee too. We were allowed to use the kitchen to cook as well. We cooked our own eggs for breakfast, and had a hearty breakfast just like at our own home.

Comfy room. I love the bed and pillows, so comfortable, no less than those in any 5 star hotels, if not better. Wifi is fast. Just be prepared to have an experience with the steep and narrow Dutch staircases!

Room Tip: if you can book early and afford a bit more, the Budda room give you a private bath room. But sharin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Godwin Dumagat Y, Owner at B&B Barangay, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
We are very happy for your great review. Answer has been long coming but better late than never. We highly appreciate your honest remarks and recommendations.

Just for your info, for your future stay with us and that of other guests, all our rooms have not PRIVATE BATHROOMS. Our kitchen has also been renovated and has been expanded & is at least 2.5x bigger. More comfort to our guests but still as cozy as before based on our guests new reviews. Very spacious for everyone to enjoy preparing their own breakfasts. The choice of sitting intimately on your own table or sitting ( as most guests do ) on the long table to meet and share your travel/amsterdam experience with other guests of Barangay.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and a million appreciation for recommending us highly. Tropical regards, W&G, Eds, Billy & Bossy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Stayed at this B&B after checking the positive reviews. The place is run by a Dutch Filipino gay couple who are great in giving all sorts of advice about what to see and do in Amsterdam. The B&B only has a few rooms to offer and the reviews about the stairs are not exaggerated. Actually I think they should give a warning that the place is not convenient for older people or small kids...The breakfast is self-service with plenty of options but the kitchen cannot sit more than 6 people at one time. The whole atmosphere felt more like staying in a friends place rather than in a B&B.

Room Tip: The higher your room is located, the higher the risk of you going down those stairs head first...
Singapore
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Location: It's very close to the railway station and couple of minutes walking to canals.

Service: I received very warm welcome from the staff, nothing better than an orange juice and some useful tips of the city. The only pity was after I've checked out in the morning, I saved my luggage in the B&B coz my flight leaves at night, I didn't receive as nice & warm help as when I came...

Room&Stay: I've got a nice upgrade to have the room opposite the kitchen, the toilet and shower is outside the room but there is only my room , the restroom and the kitchen on this floor, so it's kind of "private bathroom". The room is very spacious, clean and comfortable.

Dining: self-service breakfast really feeling like home! I really had great stay there with nice breakfast as a happy start daily.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Checked into B&B Barangay shortly after 9:00 AM. We took a shuttle van from the airport for 16e each as my travel mate had an injured foot and we were not sure she could handle the walk w/luggage. The Ibis hotel was right near Barangay so we asked the hotel driver to drop us there. He was so kind he took us right to the door of Barangay. We were met by Wimmo and Godxx and given a great intro to Amsterdam. Wimmo gave us maps and suggestions for our stay. Great!! The former occupant of our room (The Tropical Room) had left early that AM so we could use the room to change and store our luggage until the room was cleaned etc. We headed out for a "walk around" and went to the Amsterdam Historical Museum, which was very very nice. We had lunch and went back to Barangay for a nap. Our room was immaculately clean, and although it was a small room, it was well thought out and appointed. The Tropical Room is on the lower level and shares a small courtyard with 2 other rooms. Being able to open the french doors to the courtyard gives a sense of spaciousness, and being on the lower level meant we heard no street noises and slept VERY good! I did not view any of the other rooms. The only drawback was that one of the other guests that had access to the courtyard used it for smoking pot. Although legal, the smoke was bothersome. Now let me tell you about the breakfasts.....ours was served ensuite and was delicious. Scrambled eggs one morning and raspberry chocolate pancakes the next and served with cereal, fresh fruits, breads, and hot coffee. YUM. The location is also great. It is close to the train station, canal cruises, restaurants, and the tram line #5. I would not hesitate to stay at Baragay again. But I would recommend if anyone needs alot of room they look at an option to the Tropical Room. It worked great for us, but was rather small. We took the train for 7e back to the airport, and it worked out fine! We loved the Barangay B & B.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the street if you need quiet to sleep.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Highly recommend. This was our first stay at a B&B and I must say I was not disappointed. Even though we arrived earlier then expected the hosts did their best to accommodate us, so despite us interrupting a massage and a nap their response to our earliness was nothing but professional. Our room ( patio room) was very clean and comfortable. Small, but perfectly formed for a couple with a nice dressing area. The patio was great for us, smoking on it was allowed ( though we kept it to a minimum as we suspected the neighbours who shared the patio with us might have been scandalized:) It felt private, even though the bathroom is down the hall, ( so not a true en suite, but it didn't bother me at all - was VERY clean). For us it ticked the boxes for a romantic weekend get away - quiet, funky, private and central location with helpful professional hosts at a price which I thought was fair. We go to Amsterdam annually and we will definitely stay here again.

Calgary
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We send numerous clients to this great little hideaway and so I wanted to experience it for myself. Upon arrival you immediately feel like you've been welcomed into an old friend's home for your stay! Wimmo and Godxx were away during our stay, however, Edmund was absolutely amazing! We stayed in the patio tropical suite and it was very cozy...the bed was so very comfortable as well! The place is extremely clean (especially the bathrooms) and breakfast was wonderful every morning! My only complaint in total was that we had a couple next to us that chose to argue in the evenings, which made us feel a tad uncomfortable as you could hear every word (not that I understood Russian!)...The location is perfect - within walking distance to every possible thing that you would want to see while visiting Amsterdam. My husband left his hat on the coat rack in our room and upon arriving home, we emailed them. They offered to send it by courier which is way beyond and above the call of duty.
I just want to thank all of you for such a wonderful stay in this amazing city and for welcoming us into your home. We definitely will be sending many more people your way!
Wayne & Shelly

Room Tip: There is not a bad room at this property.
1 Thank tajetsetter
Hawarden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed here with my partner and four friends for a long weekend in Amsterdam. We decided to stay here rather than a large hotel, we weren't in anyway disappointed.

The hotel is literally less than five minutes from Central Station. Started off with Wimmo welcoming us into his private part of the house, he sat down with us and gave us all coffee, he asked where we wanted to g & highlighted every where on a large map for us, and also pointed out some of his recommendations. Told us if we needed anything to go to him, gave us his private numbers in case of an emergency. Wimmo made every effort to accomodate us, we arrived early (around 9am) and although our bedrooms weren't ready at the time, Wimmo still found a place for us to keep our bags safe whilst we went off exploring. If you're worried about the cat don't worry - he's very very friendly! You're given a set of keys to all parts of the house, so there's no worry if you want to roll in at 4am! (we didn't we were very well behaved).

Everyone said their bed was comfortable, as was ours, I found my pillow a little too soft, but I like a very firm pillow - and Wimmo did say when checking in if we didn't like anything, or needed different pillows or towels etc just to let him know, I didn't ask, so it's my own fault!

We and another couple stayed in a patio room which were well appointed, and we recieved breakfast in bed (orange juice, coffee, cereal, yoghurt, omlette, toast, butter, jam). Another couple with us stayed in the Buddha room, their room was excellent really pretty inside, they didn't get breakfast in bed, but had to help themselves to breakfast in the upstairs kitchen, we had a sneaky look in the fridge one morning it was stacked with cut meats, cheese, fruit, milk etc, then there were lots of cereals, and a Nespresso coffee machine, I can't recommend the Nespresso machine enough, I'm a big fan.

Overall I'd recommend anyone to stay here. We're usually a couple that would stay in a bigger, much more expensive hotel (with work I usually stay in the Sofitel or somewhere similar), but we really enjoyed the personal touch provided by Wimmo & Godwin & think we'll be back.

All in all we found the B&B was very well located - the only thing we bothered getting a tram to was the Bols Experience, everything else we were happy walking.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends