“Amsterdam at its best”
Review of B&B Barangay

B&B Barangay
Ranked #6 of 337 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Our hosts were friendly and helpful. Their advice helped us to cut through some of the things that take you a while to work out when you are new to a city.... Museums, shopping, laundry, supermarket, night life etc. the room was located perfectly, near the centre of Amsterdam and near the Central Railway station. We loved that it was self contained and could cook a meal or two after many weeks of travelling. Really helped Amsterdam to feel like home for a few days.

Room Tip: Location, location, location. Ring or email and see whether you get a prompt and helpful response. T...
There are newer reviews for B&B Barangay

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Many thanks Wimmo and Godwin you have not disappointed us on this our second stay at Barangay B&B. Your hospitality and warmth is much appreciated after travelling and staying in impersonal hotels through Europe. Your knowledge of Amsterdam was very helpful to us.
We have enjoyed your breakfasts, great variety and quantity.
We would visit you again the convenience of your location alone within close proximity to Central Station a bonus.
Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

First of all the owners were very nice people, helpful with the map, things to do, etc. But contrary to their website, it was not a quiet residential street as stated, there was very loud street noise at night. The breakfast, which others raved about, was commercially bought packaged goods. Yes, we could make our own, but I thought this was a B&B. Lastly, and most importantly, our room was never touched for the 3 nights we were there. The bed was not made, trash was not emptied, used glassware was not removed or replaced, and towels were left as is. I think, that as a guest, I have the right to expect professional service and this fell way short of that expectation.

6  Thank rallen2007
Godwin Dumagat Y, Owner at B&B Barangay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

We are sorry to hear that these guest were a bit disappointed.

Our street is a normal residential street without restaurants, bars ect. comparing with other areas in the centre this is really quiet street for a capital city. Maybe these guests slept with open windows??
Since a few months we have- and explain about the 2 door tags saying: "please clean my room" and "please give me new towels" We are happy to clean your room every day and give you new towels, just use the door tags.
(normally if people do not use the door tags we only remove the trash, make the bed, and provide clean cups an glasses. I am very, very surprised that for 3 days in a row this was not done...?)
About our breakfast:
We have guests from all over the world and we receive a lot of compliments and nice reviews about our breakfasts ( both those serve in bed in the patio rooms & the breakfasts in our self service breakfasts kitchen for the upper rooms.
We provide about 20 items like:
a variety of bread, ham, cheese, eggs, salami, tomato, cucumber, various yoghurts, cruesli bars, waffles, chocolate bread, breakfast bars, peanut spread, choco spread, various jams, fresh fruits, 3 types of cereals, choco sprinkles, etc etc. Our coffee machine is a professional Nespresso Machine and we offer a choice of 3 flavors of the best coffee. There at least 9 types of tea flavors to choose from.
If you book a patio room we serve a wonderful breakfast in bed!
Hope to see you soon in our Tropical Hide-away!

Wimmo & Godwin

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The best stay I had in Europe. My wife and I stayed here for just a night but Wimmo and Godwin were so friendly we will never forget them. Upon checking in I was offered a welcome drink to which I funny enough asked "how much" and was informed it was of course free. From then on they continued to impress me with their level of care. I would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: To choose a good room just stay here :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My fiancee and I stayed at B&B Barangay in mid-July 2013. The proprietors are really nice; the breakfast greeting each morning was quite cute, and the initial welcome was helpful to city orientation. We stayed in one of the patio rooms (downstairs). Like in nearly all buildings in the city, the staircase is quite steep (so if you have walking issues, this would not be an ideal choice). They truly do a great job of optimizing the somewhat limited space comprising the structure. The bathrooms, as fully stated on their website, are not en suite downstairs; at least our bathroom was prone to a lot of water splashing when showering due to the layout of the room--that however, is but a minor annoyance. There is a small outdoor garden between the two patio rooms; the other 'downstairs' guests (admittedly in violation of the B&B's policies) were chatting late at night on the patio--this was, unfortunately, entirely audible for us in the room. That said, I imagine you would have a similar sound issue in almost any other B&B in the city; moreover, as stated in the previous sentence, the other guests were in fact acting in violation of the B&B's policies. The facility is centrally located to the train station and the much quieter Jordaan neighborhood. Should I find myself in Amsterdam again, I would not hesitate to stay here; as such, I strongly recommend anyone looking to visit Amsterdam to consider this B&B. It is an excellent deal, especially relative to the cost!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

From the beginning of the trip to the last day, it was spectacular. The location was ideal. It was in a very local part of Amsterdam yet it was a 15 minute walk to anywhere. Also a bonus with the location was that it was a 10 minute walk to the train so we saved money on a taxi.

The rooms were very warm and welcoming. My party stayed downstairs and we had to bedrooms and two bathrooms. Our room was awesome because we were secluded so we had a lot of privacy. Also between the two were joined by a 7ft by 8ft private courtyard.

The down fall of this although was that the owners kitchen on the upper level had a window that opened to the courtyard. We were able to hear what everyone was saying who talked in the kitchen.

Every morning we had a delicious home cook breakfast that always arrived on time. We had a variety of eggs, toast, crepes, cereal, yogurt, coffee and fruit. Delicious!

Biking around Amsterdam is a must-do. One feature that this B&B offers is bike rentals. It was 10 euros a day which included the bike locks. This was a nice way to see Amsterdam.

A cute touch that this B&B had was that the owners had two cats. They would come down in the morning to visit which was nice because I had been away from my animals for 3 weeks.

One problem that one may encounter if they don't like cats is that the cats would climb all over my bed and table. I didn't mind, but someone else may feel differently.

Overall, this was a great way to spend the last few days of my holiday. A little costly, but worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel 3 times and love it more each time. Godwin and Wimmo are incredible hosts that pay extra attention to details. Everything is clean, the sheets in the rooms are colorful and cozy, the breakfast in bed was to die for, the delicious smelling shampoos and soaps in the bathroom (the only drawback that it is outside the room)...this place is great. Good location, walking distance from the central station. We will be back!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple