“Luxury in simplicity”

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
Ranked #1 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great decor, amazing location and impeccable service. Every little detail has been considered, from the amazing mattresses, the lush carpeting, the heated ceramic floors in the bathroom to the toiletry products. An absolute must!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Laurent L
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for your well valued feedback. We are glad to hear you were happy with our service and location, and that you appreciated all the décor details that the hotel has to offer.

The team looks forward to welcome you back, please let me know when you would like to plan your next visit and if we can be of any service.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Just returned from an excellent trip to Amsterdam. Stayed at the new Waldorf Astoria. Th e Room as excellent. Large , extremely comfortable and well equipped. The bed was as comfortable a bed as I have ever slept in! with great quality linen.
The staff are naturally new to the hotel but without exception they were helpful , attentive and courteous. I begin to sound like an advert but genuinely a positive 2 nights.
If one negative was the fact that the restaurant only has 2 tables reserved for guests which meant we could not get in! Book the restaurant when booking the Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rob E

Dear Rob,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback. We are pleased to hear you experienced our elegant rooms and our True Waldorf Service giving by our attentive staff. I am sorry you couldn't enjoy our restaurant Librije’s Zusje Amsterdam, we would love to assist you with a reservation so you can experience our restaurant on your next visit.

The entire team looks forward to welcome you back, please let me know when you would like to plan your next visit and if we can be of any service.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Brand new hotel, highly motivated staff, nice and competent (and efficient) concierge.
Friendly atmosphere, beautiful and peaceful garden.
We had a beautiful, silent, big room (131) and were very pleased.
The room dining menu should be improved, the regular restaurant is said to be fantastic, who don't offer their specialties (or at least a part of them) also in the room dining menu?
Some small inconsistencies - like no outlets for the hairdryer in the bathroom - or some mistakes in the room service - but the staff is helpful, quick and competent.
So we were very happy and we liked it very much!!!!
Thank you!

Room Tip: 131 Junior Suite to the garden, very calm.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank FLuisi

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are glad to hear you were very pleased with the room and you experienced our True Waldorf Service giving by our attentive staff. We have shared your comments with our teams, which helps us to continue to develop and improve our quality in this department.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for 3 nights during a business trip to Amsterdam. I was initially given a ground floor room with a very small window. Although the room was comfortable I found it claustrophobic. After one night I asked if I could move. Within 15 minutes I was moved to a room overlooking the garden with big windows. The rooms are lovely. Everything is new - soft white towels, crisp sheets etc. Other examples of good service: I went out and forgot to lock the safe where I had left my valuables. I phoned the hotel and someone went to my room and locked the safe for me. The concierge gave me an excellent restaurant recommendation and made the booking for me late on a Saturday afternoon. She had asked the restaurant to keep aside a few tables for her guests which was fortunate because I had already tried a number of restaurants and they were all fully booked. I had to have breakfast early on the day of departure. The staff were still setting up but made me feel comfortable and ensured that I had everything that I wanted. This really is a lovely new hotel. The staff are friendly and thoughtful and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank jeanm965
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Jean,

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are pleased to hear you really enjoyed the new room that was assigned to you, and the service that was given by our staff.

The entire team looks forward to welcome you back, please let me know when you would like to plan your next visit and if we can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Note: This review only relates to the lobby service.

We met up with a family friend, who was staying at the hotel, for afternoon tea. Staff at the door are extremely attentive; it was raining heavily and we were escorted up the steps by an umbrella-ed doorman. The staff took our coats and promptly provided us with a coat check.

First impressions is that, unfortunately, the lobby is quite sterile. I fully understand the Dutch obsession for plain white interiors (good for spotting mosquitoes) but in a hotel of the Waldorf Astoria's standing I was rather hoping for a rather more extensive pallet; it is a bit generic Mc plainwrap.It is obvious that the hotel is brand spanking new; I am hoping that the interiors stand the test of time and rough tourists!

The food, on the whole, was average for a hotel of this quality; prices are in line with the 5* tag, be warned! Over 20 Euro for a toasted club sandwich is a little excessive, even more so for the somewhat limp fries. Selection of teas/coffee was good. Wine selection by the glass was interesting; primarily young wines though a little over priced for the age/quality. One would have hoped for something more classical.

I would recommend sticking to afternoon tea or a glass of wine if you are there to experience the 5* lobby. The staff are attentive (which for the Netherlands is quite a welcome experience). In saying this, there was, in my opinion, a shortage of staff on the day (a Sunday afternoon); the table was left uncleared for quite some time. This might be a small detail to some however in the luxury hotel market details are everything.

As a newly opened venture, the WA is still at the theeding phase. One hopes that the lobby service will continue to improve as the staff gain more experience.

Room Tip: Grab one of the comfy sofas if there with a larger party of friends.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AmsterdamAlex08

Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback. We are pleased to hear you experienced our True Waldorf Astoria Service giving by our attentive staff. We have also learned from your comments about the restaurants, which will help continue to develop and improve our quality in this department.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We wanted to go to the opera (Gounod's Faust) and spend th enight in Amsterdam. What better place to stay than in the newly opened Waldorf Astoria, a beautiful 6 minute canalside moonlit walk. Everything in the hotel is stunning: the 17th century Daniel Marot (known from Huis den Bosch and Kasteel Duivenvoorde) staircase, the extremely friendly staff, the Guerlain Spa, the Librije's Zusje restaurant with, for breakfast: the best Eggs Benedict I even tasted, the delicious home made Petra van Niftrik (known from Prince Henry Suites) james and the Van Namens juices. The room was big, silent and luxurious, with a wonderful Kingsize bed. The personal touch of Roberto Payer, the hotel's thriving force, is feelible everywhere. The only comment to be made is that the hotel is crisp and new and therefore sometimes hard to believe. Therefore, this hotel needs many guests to kiss it fully awake, just as it has been set out to be.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 105, very nice views on the Herengracht.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ArentvanWassenaer

Dear Arent,

Thank you very much for your great feedback, we are honoured that you choose to be one of our first guests. And we are happy to hear that you got to experience many of the unique features that our hotel has to offer.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

It's brand new but they are running exactly as a five star luxury property should! Top notch service,quiet, huge beautifully decorated rooms . Room 221 was sensational with bright views of the canal. The morning of my birthday I was greeted with flowers and choc covered strawberries! I Couldn't be happier anywhere ! Only 2 weeks old but clearly They are already #1 in Amsterdam !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stacey F

Dear Stacey,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, we are honoured that you choose to be one of our first guests and that you choose to celebrate your birthday with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.