“WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER BEEN TO”
Review of Sarphati Hotel

Sarphati Hotel
Ranked #363 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 22 April 2011

On arrival to the hotel my friends and I were informed (after half an hour of waiting in a very tiny room) that our rooms had been cancelled and that we had been emailed 2 weeks prier to traveling, we had not. The man on the door was extremely rude, inappropriate and aggressive and after talking to him for 2 minutes we all agreed that we would have regretted giving him any of our money to stay in such a pokey and unwelcoming hotel. Would not recommend the place to my worst enemy.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mmmmm91

Reviewed 15 November 2010

had a good time in amsterdam with some friends

the hotel was not very close by the city centre but a taxi or tram are good options for this problem.

we had some problems in the park with another group what ended up in a fight. i thought the park was very unsafe to be in, in the night. expeccially don't go there if you whant to keep your wallot.

overall the hotel is worth the money if you can make a good deal!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2010

You have to be quite fit to stay in this hotel, as we had to climb four very steep flights of stairs to our room (which was right at the top) so it wouldn't do for anyone even slightly infirm.

Apart from that, the room, although small, was quite comfortable, well-appointed and reasonably quiet. The proprietor was very helpful and friendly, and an excellent breakfast was provided.

The hotel was a ten-minute tram ride from the city centre but there was an excellent restaurant, Zaza, nearby.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in single room. The location of the hotel is far from the city center, but easily reachable by taking the tram no. 25 from the AMS Central, which also passes the city center. Since I don't like to stay in the crowd area, it suited me well. The surrounding area is quite quiet but safe. The owners (sorry, I didn't have a chance to ask their names) were nice and helpful. Breakfast was good. Upon checked-in, I was informed that they had just replaced the TV in the room assigned for me, so it did not work for that night. I didn't come to AMS to watch TV, so I didn't mind. It's good that they informed me in advance and asked whether I wanted to choose another room near the reception area, which I refused.

The only shortcoming I felt was lack of bathroom amenities. They only provided one sachet of gel both for body and hair. It's not enough.

A little bit expensive, but almost all hotels in AMS are expensive, compare with what we get.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed here with a group of lads for a stag. It suited us fine but I wouldn't recommend it to a couple or someone looking for a relaxing break. The rooms are the smallest Ive ever seen. It the tv falls off the wall your a goner. The large LCD telly takes up most of the wall.
Staff are friendly. The breakfast is adequate. I wouldn't like to be infirm in any way as the stairs are very narrow and steep.
The sound insulation from the street outside is very bad.
150 euro for 2 nights is a joke for what ya get though. Spend the bit extra and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank WillyDIreland1
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Stayed here with a friend and my two sisters. The hotel is surrounded by shops/bars and restaurants. There is a lovely park directly over the road from the hotel called Sarphati Park, lots of waterfalls and wildlife. The tram from Central station takes around 10/15 mins and stops directly outside the hotel (tram 25 if helpful), the trams come every 15 minutes to dam square which only takes 10 minutes.
The hotel itself was fine, not great if your on the top floor with the amount of steep staires you have to climb up, but the rooms were clean and tidy. Breakfast was a mixture of bread and jams, muesli, fruit and a few hard boiled eggs. Fresh fruit juice and tea and coffee were available too.
I will not be staying here again, but only because of location. I would recommend paying a bit extra to stay more near to Central station/Dam square.
If your a budjet traveller or travelling as a group this hotel will be fine for you! :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2010

We stayed in Sarphatihotel Amsterdam, we had a fantastic stay; a large family room, plenty of space, every day when we came back to the hotel the room was clean and tidy with clean towels.
Very helpful staff.
Breakfast was delicious; the children loved it! Free coffee, tea and fresh fruit all day.
Free wireless internet!
Location was great; all the important things like museums, restaurants were closeby, the tramstop is right in front of the hotel.
Thank you!