“Good enough”

Ranked #354 of 365 Hotels in Amsterdam
Arlington, Virginia
“Good enough”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in single room. The location of the hotel is far from the city center, but easily reachable by taking the tram no. 25 from the AMS Central, which also passes the city center. Since I don't like to stay in the crowd area, it suited me well. The surrounding area is quite quiet but safe. The owners (sorry, I didn't have a chance to ask their names) were nice and helpful. Breakfast was good. Upon checked-in, I was informed that they had just replaced the TV in the room assigned for me, so it did not work for that night. I didn't come to AMS to watch TV, so I didn't mind. It's good that they informed me in advance and asked whether I wanted to choose another room near the reception area, which I refused.

The only shortcoming I felt was lack of bathroom amenities. They only provided one sachet of gel both for body and hair. It's not enough.

A little bit expensive, but almost all hotels in AMS are expensive, compare with what we get.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed here with a group of lads for a stag. It suited us fine but I wouldn't recommend it to a couple or someone looking for a relaxing break. The rooms are the smallest Ive ever seen. It the tv falls off the wall your a goner. The large LCD telly takes up most of the wall.
Staff are friendly. The breakfast is adequate. I wouldn't like to be infirm in any way as the stairs are very narrow and steep.
The sound insulation from the street outside is very bad.
150 euro for 2 nights is a joke for what ya get though. Spend the bit extra and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank WillyDIreland1

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

middlesbrough
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Stayed here with a friend and my two sisters. The hotel is surrounded by shops/bars and restaurants. There is a lovely park directly over the road from the hotel called Sarphati Park, lots of waterfalls and wildlife. The tram from Central station takes around 10/15 mins and stops directly outside the hotel (tram 25 if helpful), the trams come every 15 minutes to dam square which only takes 10 minutes.
The hotel itself was fine, not great if your on the top floor with the amount of steep staires you have to climb up, but the rooms were clean and tidy. Breakfast was a mixture of bread and jams, muesli, fruit and a few hard boiled eggs. Fresh fruit juice and tea and coffee were available too.
I will not be staying here again, but only because of location. I would recommend paying a bit extra to stay more near to Central station/Dam square.
If your a budjet traveller or travelling as a group this hotel will be fine for you! :)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 11 March 2010

We stayed in Sarphatihotel Amsterdam, we had a fantastic stay; a large family room, plenty of space, every day when we came back to the hotel the room was clean and tidy with clean towels.
Very helpful staff.
Breakfast was delicious; the children loved it! Free coffee, tea and fresh fruit all day.
Free wireless internet!
Location was great; all the important things like museums, restaurants were closeby, the tramstop is right in front of the hotel.
Thank you!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Recife
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I spent three days in Amsterdam with my Mom, and It was from 09th to 12th of January in 2009. The Hotel is very quiet, the rooms are very clean, the location is good, and It's not far from the center town, the breakfast is amazing and the food is delicious, the hotel have wi-fi internet, and the external appearance of the hotel is elegant, I recommend the hotel for everyone that like simplicity and comfort.

• Stayed January 2009
Coventry
Reviewed 26 January 2010

My partner and I stayed here for a short romantic break in June. We are in our early-mid twenties and wanted somewhere close enough to walk to the main city attractions but also somewhere not so in the middle of it all, and for this the location is great. We were greeted by a gentleman who I think was the owner, he was always available and went out of his way to help us and advise us on where to go, prices etc. The rooms are lovely, very well presented and clean. The breakfast was nice in the mornings, continental. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank queenmel1986
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 29 November 2009

The hotel is not bad. Very small, not far from the city center and easily accessible by trams. Friendly staff, good breakfast. Also you may enjoy coffee, tea and other drinks as well as fruit during the day. WiFi Internet access free of charge. The minus of the hotel is the size of the room: I haven't seen anything smaller than that! But I think this is the problem of the whole city :) Also stairs are very steep (but it was even interesting for me, not so funny for older people and small children I think)

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo