“Seems Perfect...Until the Sun Goes Down”

Rembrandt Square Hotel
Ranked #219 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Washington, DC
“Seems Perfect...Until the Sun Goes Down”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Hotels in Amsterdam are crazy expensive, so I was glad to find the Rembrandt Square Hotel at a great price and with good reviews. We paid about $120 for a double.

Pros:
-The hotel is cute and clean
-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Easy to reach from Centraal Station via the tram line (unless you get one of the old school #9 trams with the narrow door and steps into the tram)

Neutral:
I was under the impression the bathrooms were suite style, with two rooms connected to a bathroom. On the second floor, there were five rooms for two bathrooms. The toilet and shower are in the same room, so any use of the bathroom occupies all uses of it. We had no problems with this, but left at 7:30 am for a flight. Mornings could be touchy if all rooms are in double occupancy and 10 people are sharing 2 bathrooms.

Con:
-Steep stairs with no lift. This is typical of Amsterdam hotels and I was expecting it.

I need a word stronger for con, so how about Nuclear Option Con:
-The lovely square that your room overlooks turns into an all-night discotheque when the sun goes down. I am a city girl, live in the heart of Washington DC, and am well used to street noises. So I generally dismiss hotel complaints about street noise, assuming the reviewers are suburban wimps. You will dismiss complaints about noise at this hotel at your peril.

When we checked in I was a little concerned about being too chilly at night as the windows are not sealed at all and air was blowing through the point where the two panes meet. The temperature turned out to be fine. What I didn't realize was that it would feel like my bed was dab smack in the middle of a club when I tried to go to sleep. Shouting, singing, glass breaking, and the pulsing beat of a European club might be fun memories if you intentionally put yourself in that situation. If it's in your bedroom, not so much.

I am a heavy sleeper and was completely exhausted so I managed to fall asleep and stay asleep after about half an hour, but my travel companion didn't sleep at all. We stayed only one night and I don't think even I, the champion sleeper, could have handled another.

I don't know if rooms that don't face the square are as loud, but certainly request one that does not look over Rembrandtplein.

Room Tip: No View of Rembrandtplein
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nicegirl512

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was the first leg of our trip and I loved the location of the hotel as it was close to lots of pubs, clubs etc. Although as we were in the Christmas period the Winter Wonderland continued to play music until 3 am as well as the club downstairs until 9am!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and very accomodating when we requested a room change as we could not sleep from all the lights and music fromt eh Winter Wonderland int eh square.

Overall the facilities were excellent, good internet coverage and clean.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 December 2010

First time in Amsterdam, not enough can be said about how beautiful this place is. Since it is 7:30 in the morning and I haven't slept a night in a couple of days I'll get right to the point. When we booked this place, we had read some reviews that there was a fair amount of noise. This is like saying there are a few canals here. This place is clean, feels secure, but I cannot believe they built this place on top of a techno dance party that goes on all night- every night. It is Tuesday evening/Wed morning and there are no signs of letting up (we are also on the third floor, the people on the second floor must be losing their $hit). There are things literally moving around the sink in the room from the vibrations. I wish it was possible to leave an audio recording on here- you seriously would not believe it. To preface all of this, I am 30 years old and am not afraid of a good time- but seriously I dropped a heavy dose of prescribed ambien after smoking some ridiculously good weed and still cannot make it to sleep. Either make your stay here a quick one or plan on spending the entire night at club insomnia. Also, don't bother buying weed at Smokey's that is connected with the hotel (by the way- this is where the hotel breakfast is) go down the street instead to Barney's. The hotel tries to herd people in there like crazy but it's terrible- just read the reviews. God help me they just put on some christmas techno.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Panda_Fist

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Reviewed 4 December 2010

We arrived early in the morning and check-in is not until 2 but as our room was available so the receptionist (female) allowed us to go in immediately- Excellent! Stupidly we locked ourselves out of the room but nothing was too much trouble. We were always met with a smile and each reception staff memeber was more than willing to help us with ideas of what to do and where to go. The rooms are small but adequete and given its excellent central location we expected noise. The good thing is there are so many nice dutch beers that after a good amount we heard nothing!! Breakfast was lovely, with fruit and toasties though the manger was nice but maybe a little too attentive. The hotel are eager to please and they do! Even on our return one of the male receptionists helped us to loacte a taxxi back to the airport and was so nice. Wonderful people!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My fiance and I stayed here for 5 nights in sept 2010 and having read some of the reviews and looking at loads of other hotels, finally ended up booking this one. Most of the hotels in amsterdam have similar reviews, complaining of steep stairs and noise, and yes these are the only two things that are slightly detrimental to this one. The hotel itself has recently been redecorated, and our room was small but perfectly formed for all we needed. We were slightly concerned about the shared bathrooms, but there are 2 per floor servicing 5 rooms. Once again they were small, but there was a toilet, shower cubicle and sink, and they were regularly cleaned and everyone sharing them seems to be reasonabley considerate about leaving them tidy! The stairs are steep. You go up one flight and think, "well these arent too bad" but when your room is above the 2nd floor (we were on the 3rd) you start to curse after a day out and about. Rembrandt square is a great location, very busy, and lots to do, but this does mean it is quite noisey well on into the early morning(about4am it seemed to go quite) but if your there for the night life this is no problem, and if you while away your day in coffeeshops it shouldnt be an issue either! 10 minute walk from dam square/red light, and about 20 mins brisk walk to the train station. Oh and the breakfast was not bad either, tea, coffee orange juice toast, cheese, bread ham boiled eggs etc. So overall good hotel, good location, pretty good value for money and would have no qualms with staying there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pooce666
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Booking a fairly cheap hotel on the internet is always a risk - especially when travelling with kids - I had hoped that I had NOT booked something in the heart of the Red Light District!
Phew - lively square - but nothing too outre!
Receptionist was lovely, and really welcoming, especially to the children. Ultra steep stairs (we were in a triple room on the 4th floor) tried not to think what would happen if there was a fire below! Yes beds narrow - but we pushed them altogether.
Noisy - but not excessively - we were at the back of the hotel.
Breakfast - intesting, being in the Bar of Smokys - one child asked if he could have Vodka and Redbull for breakfast! Very dark, perched on bar stools with Earth Wind and Fire playing away on a video screen. Agree with one of the reviewers - staff at breakfast not the friendliest.
But for just over a 100 euro for three of us, and a great surreal experience of Amsterdam - superb!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2010

The hotel location is certainly very central. So central in fact that you are directly on top of the Amsterdam nightlife. If you are in any way a light sleeper or an early riser I would look elsewhere or come prepared with ear plugs. That's not a criticism of the place because you could stay in a much more expensive hotel a few doors away and still have the same problems. Unfortunately we were traveling for business rather than pleasure so the loud music, shouting and car horns outside until 5am made this a less than ideal choice. We were up on the 5th floor as far away as possible from the coffee shop and nightclub downstairs but with 3 people sleeping in a small hotel room it's necessary to keep the window open. I'm absolutely certain there are worse 3 star hotels in Amsterdam though you should consider whether this is a suitable hotel for you rather than just look at the prices. The word hotel is stretching it a little bit as the experience is closer to staying in a youth hostel with shared bathrooms and cramped conditions. There is a TV and a kettle in the room but I can't see any other difference.
Breakfast is served at 9am which again is not ideal for the business traveler who will probably need to long gone by that point. When calculating the costs of the accommodation it is therefor necessary to factor in the costs of breakfast elsewhere if you intend to leave before 09:30. The buffet was a fairly standard budget hotel continental breakfast spread with salami, muesli, boiled eggs, toast etc. There is a fruit salad though I'd leave it if I were you as the guy who sets out the breakfast likes to pick at the food as he goes along and puts his fingers in it.

Overall it was a decent, clean place and the staff were friendly and helpful so I can recommend it but only for party animals.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business