“OK”

Rembrandt Square Hotel
Ranked #236 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Pros: well located, really nice staff, clean room, good security measures so felt safe, cheap.

Cons: noisy (although this is to be expected due to location), drunks throwing up outside woke me middle of night, breakfast served in a downstairs bar so smells of alcohol

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 June 2011

If you want to stay in the center of Amsterdam with easy access to metro for 60 euros a night , this is the place to be. It is in the entertainment district of amsterdam so it does get lour and louder as the night progresses but if it is too loud to sleep ,atleast the club is right downstairs if you feel like it. Its exactly what you need, a place to stow luggage and crash at night. Its not the biggest room but it is sufficient and for the price and location cant be beat. Dam ,musuem square and central station are all a tram ride away.The tram station is right at the door step of the hotel. What more can you ask for!
The location is prime with a lot of food joints and european style out door cafes across the streets.Just dont try to get any food before 9 AM in the morning.
Try it ,carry ear plugs and preferably have a few beers with dinner, no loud music will wake you up

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Have just returned home from a 2 night stay at the Rembrandt Square Hotel in Amsterdam with my boyfriend. Can not fault this hotel, infact, I can't praise it enough!!! Arrived at 12, our room wasn't yet ready which we weren't expecting as it is a 2pm check in. However they were more than happy to store our luggage for us and let us use the lounge area and had a cup of tea there also. We left the hotel and came back at 2, the room was ready, and our bags had been put in the room already. So the room was small, but wasn't expecting anything more. Was very clean, lovely simple decor, tea/coffee facilities, English tv channels, table and chairs, sink, mirrors, chest of drawers! Comfy beds! All staff were so helpful with anything we needed and very friendly. Shared facility bathroom very clean and rarely even noticed we were sharing it with another room. Room was hot which they were obviously aware of as they had provided a very good fan. Was quite loud at night due to clubs next door, but had booked it on the premise of it's excellent central location so didn't bother us! Would be hypocritical to want to stay so central and expect silence. BreakfAst was of a good standard. Helpful again on our check out
day! Kept bags there til 6pm! Can't wait to visit Amsterdam nd most definitely will be staying again! Can't believe it's just 1 star...great job Rembrandt hotel :) x

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Lulubeer
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Hotels in Amsterdam are crazy expensive, so I was glad to find the Rembrandt Square Hotel at a great price and with good reviews. We paid about $120 for a double.

Pros:
-The hotel is cute and clean
-Staff was friendly and helpful
-Easy to reach from Centraal Station via the tram line (unless you get one of the old school #9 trams with the narrow door and steps into the tram)

Neutral:
I was under the impression the bathrooms were suite style, with two rooms connected to a bathroom. On the second floor, there were five rooms for two bathrooms. The toilet and shower are in the same room, so any use of the bathroom occupies all uses of it. We had no problems with this, but left at 7:30 am for a flight. Mornings could be touchy if all rooms are in double occupancy and 10 people are sharing 2 bathrooms.

Con:
-Steep stairs with no lift. This is typical of Amsterdam hotels and I was expecting it.

I need a word stronger for con, so how about Nuclear Option Con:
-The lovely square that your room overlooks turns into an all-night discotheque when the sun goes down. I am a city girl, live in the heart of Washington DC, and am well used to street noises. So I generally dismiss hotel complaints about street noise, assuming the reviewers are suburban wimps. You will dismiss complaints about noise at this hotel at your peril.

When we checked in I was a little concerned about being too chilly at night as the windows are not sealed at all and air was blowing through the point where the two panes meet. The temperature turned out to be fine. What I didn't realize was that it would feel like my bed was dab smack in the middle of a club when I tried to go to sleep. Shouting, singing, glass breaking, and the pulsing beat of a European club might be fun memories if you intentionally put yourself in that situation. If it's in your bedroom, not so much.

I am a heavy sleeper and was completely exhausted so I managed to fall asleep and stay asleep after about half an hour, but my travel companion didn't sleep at all. We stayed only one night and I don't think even I, the champion sleeper, could have handled another.

I don't know if rooms that don't face the square are as loud, but certainly request one that does not look over Rembrandtplein.

Room Tip: No View of Rembrandtplein
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank nicegirl512
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was the first leg of our trip and I loved the location of the hotel as it was close to lots of pubs, clubs etc. Although as we were in the Christmas period the Winter Wonderland continued to play music until 3 am as well as the club downstairs until 9am!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and very accomodating when we requested a room change as we could not sleep from all the lights and music fromt eh Winter Wonderland int eh square.

Overall the facilities were excellent, good internet coverage and clean.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2010

First time in Amsterdam, not enough can be said about how beautiful this place is. Since it is 7:30 in the morning and I haven't slept a night in a couple of days I'll get right to the point. When we booked this place, we had read some reviews that there was a fair amount of noise. This is like saying there are a few canals here. This place is clean, feels secure, but I cannot believe they built this place on top of a techno dance party that goes on all night- every night. It is Tuesday evening/Wed morning and there are no signs of letting up (we are also on the third floor, the people on the second floor must be losing their $hit). There are things literally moving around the sink in the room from the vibrations. I wish it was possible to leave an audio recording on here- you seriously would not believe it. To preface all of this, I am 30 years old and am not afraid of a good time- but seriously I dropped a heavy dose of prescribed ambien after smoking some ridiculously good weed and still cannot make it to sleep. Either make your stay here a quick one or plan on spending the entire night at club insomnia. Also, don't bother buying weed at Smokey's that is connected with the hotel (by the way- this is where the hotel breakfast is) go down the street instead to Barney's. The hotel tries to herd people in there like crazy but it's terrible- just read the reviews. God help me they just put on some christmas techno.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Panda_Fist
Reviewed 4 December 2010

We arrived early in the morning and check-in is not until 2 but as our room was available so the receptionist (female) allowed us to go in immediately- Excellent! Stupidly we locked ourselves out of the room but nothing was too much trouble. We were always met with a smile and each reception staff memeber was more than willing to help us with ideas of what to do and where to go. The rooms are small but adequete and given its excellent central location we expected noise. The good thing is there are so many nice dutch beers that after a good amount we heard nothing!! Breakfast was lovely, with fruit and toasties though the manger was nice but maybe a little too attentive. The hotel are eager to please and they do! Even on our return one of the male receptionists helped us to loacte a taxxi back to the airport and was so nice. Wonderful people!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends