“Decent hostel with good location”
Review of Annemarie Hotel

Annemarie Hotel
Ranked #355 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Atlanta, Georgia
“Decent hostel with good location”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed in a private 2 bed room with a friend, which had a sink and a bunk bed. It was quiet and clean. Each floor of the hostel had a couple of private shower stalls and bathroom stall. It was located on a quiet street a few blocks away from a supermarket and museumplein. The breakfast is a typical hostel breakfast: tea, coffee, and bread with nutella, butter, or jam. Great for young people on a budget who require minimal amenities.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I stayed with a couple of friends at Hostel Annemarie in Amsterdam, in May 2013. I was charged after I left (from my card), for the full price of an extra night for 10 people, even though we had already paid everything on cash upon arrival. Clearly surprised and alarmed, I wrote the hostel an email to clarify this situation, that was an obvious mistake, and try to get the money back. To my surprise, they said they didn't charge me anything (although I have proof of my bank that shows otherwise), that they didn't want to see my proof, and that I should contact my bank. This is called STEALING!!!! Plus, we had a really bad stay, because the staff were not nice at all, and the bedroom was cold and uncomfortable. DON'T GO THERE!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ffreixo

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Arrived 10pm, allegedly my credit card didn’t work (despite it working everywhere else) so they had cancelled the booking. No prior email or contact was made to tell me this so we spent the next two hours hunting for another hostel with space.

No advice or help was offered, and they weren’t even able to tell me if they had space for the next day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank gaz m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

not sure why it has hotel in its name but whatever... we stayed two nights after queens day 2013 .. we thought it was really expensive just under 100 euros for a two people in a 4 bed room dorm. the four bed dorm is really small... so its best if you know everyone in the room! bfast is lame... REALLY close to the museums and the airport bus ..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Please people: never book a bed in this hostel!!!!!!!! It was the worst experience I've had in years and years of independent traveling, staying in many many hostels. The manager is a crook and the staff is useless!
I booked a bed for the night before Queensday and when I arrived at 10pm from the train station, the hostel turned out to be full even though I had a printed out reservation! Without any apologies or compensation, they wanted to send me to another hostel (Sarphati hostel) in a different area that is managed by the same people. I explained them I didn't want to move there cause I was alone, it was 11pm and the party I came to attend was on the other side of town from this Sarphati place. I told them the website should have said that the hostel was fully booked - in which case I would have booked another place without any problem. Talking to the manager on the phone about this, he said that "these things happen lady" and it was not his problem. If I didn't like it, I could leave and sleep on the street - but my money would still be debited from my credit card!!! What a scam!

I called my friends to stay with them, but the hostel said I wouldn't get any money back even if I wouldn't stay in their alternative hostel. They wanted to make me pay for a bed they didn't have available. When speaking again to the manager, he said he didn't have time for this and he didn't care, and hung up on me... The reception staff couldn't do anything more than saying "I know your problem but there is nothing we can do". Not even offer me some water or anything. In the end, I didn't have any other choice but going to the alternative hostel and I had to pay for my own transportation to get there! The Sarphati hostel was a dirty, horrible place. Breakfast in a dark basement consisted of toast and peanut butter. The next morning I wanted to store my bags while I was going to the Queensday celebrations (with 1 million people in the streets so no way to carry bags) and they didn't accept them because "today it's too busy to leave your bags". I had to carry them around for 2 hours looking for storage everywhere, and ended up leaving them with a toilet lady... This hostel really ruined my Queensday celebration.

NEVER GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THESE CROOKS PLEASE, they don't deserve it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Marieke-BE
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We came to Amsterdam to celebrate King's Day late April 2013 and totally enjoyed our trip. We stayed in a room for two, it was small, but it had a sink and a tap, so I didn't have inconveniences doing my make-up. Every floor has a toilet. There are 3 shower-baths.
The rooms are clean, bed linen was changed every two days. In the spacious kitchen you can arrange your meal, that's very important for budget tourist. There is very nice smoking place.
The best thing about the hostel is its location. It is located just across the street from Museumsplatz, near almost all tourist attractions and just beautiful places like Vondelpark. It is very convenient to go there from the Schiphol, just take bus 197 and walk then 3 minutes.
Nice cats and very friendly staff make this place very cozy. Feels just like at home!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I've been to Annemarie twice during my travels over the past few years and I will definitely go again. The staff are very friendly/accommodating and the location is perfect (right across the street from Museumsplatz). Plus the cats are a nice touch too :) There are computers in the lounge that you can use for free and there is an outside patio as well. The only cons are that there is no free tea/coffee and the kitchen closes at night, but you should be spending most of your time outdoors in this beautiful city anyways ;)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo