“They stole money on my credit card”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Annemarie Hotel

Annemarie Hotel
Ranked #355 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
milano
“They stole money on my credit card”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2008

It was really a bad experience. I booked there then two days before going there I phone them to speak about check in and they told me that unfortunately they did not record my reservation, so I went in a other hotel because they told me that there was no place left, but they still took 80€ from my credit card, saying that I did not show and there was no evidence that somebody told methat there was no place left! Unbelievable!!!

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank amandamara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
coventry
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

This is a small hostel and the owner is extremely unpolite. We had some problems and had a little delay in our check out time, and for this reason he has been extremely rude and offensive, shouting, calling us with unrepeateble names, while we were under shock and not reacted. He diden't give us back the deposit and treated us like the wors of the animals, just unbelieveble.

• Liked — the cat
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank lallel

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2008

On arrival we (6 friends on a birthday wknd) were immediately hassled for full payment of booked rooms, including one which was not going to be utilised. We were ok with covering the deposit and part of the stay but felt that 24hr notice should have been ok; when we asked for the spare room key, they said they would try and rent it out and let us know. We asked the day after and they became very evasive. We felt very suspicious of their motives and insisted on the room key which made the staff very angry - we finally got it some hours later.
The staff were were extremely rude throughout, and during the booking in process they added taxes and monies to things we felt should have been covered, eg, city taxes, towels, etc. They said everything was on the small print but were not willing to take time to discuss things.
On seeing the rooms we were frankly astonished - tiny bunk beds with very little ventilation, dirty bed linen, a broken t.v, and a filthy wash hand basin. On complaining we were forcibly told "no refunds given for any reason". We asked to see the manager and were told that it was a family business and they had no manager! None of the staff we spoke to would listen to complaints, and became quite aggressive when you tried to make a point.
The communal toilets (2) and showers (2) were never cleaned, often covered in faeces. This hotel is filthy and has no hygeine of any sort. We didn't eat the breakfasts as apart from being poor, the dishes were not clean.
Breakfast provided was dried bread and choc spread, peanut butter or jam. If it hadn't cost the earth and taken most of our money we'd have gone elsewhere. Dreadful experience and sad for a very special birthday experience. Avoid at all costs - they even refused to let us sit out in the paved back garden saying it was for smokers only...complete robbery.

• Liked — Near to museums
  • Disliked — Everything else possible
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Glastobaby
Rio de Janeiro
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

Nice staff, well location, nice as a hostel, but if you are looking for hotel (it was my case) i think you can find something better with the same price.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Stairs !!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2008

The beds were tiny, they pack as many people as they can into a room ( even bringing a cot into one of the rooms right next to my friend on the bottom bunk), and the bathroom was not very clean. There was another room we moved into though which had much larger beds ( the 6 bed I think) so its the luck of the draw I guess

However the staff was really friendly, the house cat ( a huge ginger tabby called Ander gives the place some charm) is funny and the location is excellent for the bottom of A-Dam.
The price wasnt too bad either.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny Beds
  • Stayed March 2006, travelled with friends
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2006

Offensive and rude employees, really small beds and gross bathrooms, even for a hostel. I couldn't believe this hostel was in Amsterdam, it was more like a gulag with the rules and attitudes. Seemed like they hate Americans with a passion. I did not complete my stay there, even forfeiting my money so i could enjoy my time elsewhere. I couldn't regret staying at the Annemarie more.

• Liked — I didn't like anything about it.
  • Disliked — The entire experience.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not waste your time and money here!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank primerstar6
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2006

Ah, the hotel annemarie, where can i begin. We arrived and were promptly asked to pay the full week's rates upfront...in cash. When we were shown to our room several minutes later, we turned to complain to the hotel staff member, only to find a door slammed in our face. It was then that we noticed a sign on the back of the door: NO REFUNDS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. A sign on the other side of the room read STRICTLY NO HARD DRUGS. We looked around our new home. A subtle aroma hung in the air. Cigarette and joint butts littered the carpet periphery. When I made the mistake of leaning over to open the window to try and ventilate the place I noticed several used condoms (as well as other unsanitary miscellanea) squeezed between the wall and the radiator. The brown, soiled curtain was hanging off its railing, the bedsheets were diseased, the shower was one floor up. Hotel Annemarie is grim, grim I tell ya.

Stayed September 2005