“Ok budget crash pad.”

Ranked #355 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
belbox09
“Ok budget crash pad.”
Reviewed 21 May 2009

BAD points first. No ensuite but we knew that already. Most staff were not very helpful however one was very helpful. Shower room was like a sauna, extractor fan broken. Rooms were tiny so a twin meant 2 beds right next to each other (thats a double, right?) Ok for cleanliness & breakfast was'nt great. GOOD points. Location was very good, right next to tram line and park and a very useful supermarket across the street. Security was very good and we never had any issues with leaving food and alcohol in the shared fridge. Red light district and other attactions within easy reach via tram. You get what you pay for so if you just need a place to sleep, this place will be fine. Bedding was provided but I took a sleeping bag for comfort. Would I stay there again? maybe!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
lukiebabie
Reviewed 24 March 2009

It comes as no suprise to me that this hostel has received so many bad reviews on this website as it was by far one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. I have travelled throughout Asia and stayed in many third world countries and what those places lack in comfort and quality amenities they make up for in customer service. However this hostel has neither.
Like many others, when choosing a place to stay we decided to pay a bit less and just put up with one star accomodation. It proved a costly mistake, finacially and to our holiday. Firstly upon arrival you are asked to pay a series of extra cost such as deposits and taxes. I have had exactly the same experiences as some of the other reviewers here as we never got our deposit back. The reason the management gave us was that we had drinks in our room. When we asked what was wrong with that they pointed to a small sign on the other side of the door that simply read, "no drink in rooms." Even water isn't exceptable. The result of breaking this rule was $150 euro.
The breakfast is a joke as some members of my group were told not to have any more toast before even having a first slice and the hostel provides five boiled eggs for everyone staying.
The hostels website boasts a young a vibrant staff who are happy to cater to the needs of younger guests. This could not be further from the truth as all staff we encountered were bored, rude or completely useless; the manager being worst of all. When told we could not drink in our rooms we drank in the common area where we were constantly told to be quiet.
Were we not such a determind group of travelleres this could have seriously effected our city break. However the added strain of all the extra costs and no help getting around the city leads me to urge anyone thinking about staying here to quickly look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank lukiebabie

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Having experienced many hostels while travelling, this is without a doubt the worst place I have ever stayed. The main problem is the staff, who were incredibly rude, unhelpful and underhanded.
You would be wrong to go in with a "you get what you pay for" attitude. That is what my group and I thought, however what you pay will massively increase. Although the price appears moderately cheap, it does not include a 20% tax, which is added when you pay. They will also invariably keep your $150 deposit, and give no reason. The hotel 'boasts' a free breakfast, though if you are contemplating having more than one slice of toast then you will be reprimanded.
The location is around 30 minutes walk from the start of the nightlife and around an hour from the decent bars. You will under no circumstances be allowed any food or drink in your room, including water, or you will lose your deposit. If you do intend on drinking before a night out you will be expected to drink in the foyer, in silence. The infant treatment will continue as we were told off by the management for having a window open, which they found while searching our room when we left. We only found that they had been in our room after returning early and catching a staff member.

If after reading this you still intend on staying at this awful, corrupt and shoddy establishment, then budget around £200 more than you will need, as they will undoubtedly take it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank pow01
Luxembourg
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We went (4 friends) in the 9 mixed en suite room for 4 nights...

The first day, 2 beds were not free for us, so we asked the guy at the reception when they will be free.... He said no problem; it will be free for the night.....

Coming back at 3am, we had the surprise to see someone sleeping in my friend’s bed! So we asked another guy at the reception (totally incompetent by the way), who told my friend to sleep in the same bed as another friend, as "a favour" for him!!!! So he (my friend) had to go to another hostel (45min) walking in the middle of the night to find a place to sleep...

People in this place are totally incompetent, and not very friendly...

That’s not all, it’s dirty (e.g. showers) and extremely small (they put as many beds as they can in one room). I’ve been in many hostels before (Barcelona, Boston, New-York) and that was by far of very very poor standards. And it’s so expensive for what it is!!!!

In one sentence: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! Trust me

• Liked — nothing... location is not bad, but hostel is terrible
  • Disliked — everything?
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank blionel3
UK
Reviewed 15 August 2008

I can't understand why there are bad reviews here, it's not a bad hotel at all. It is a kind of hostel where you don't need to make your own bed or wash up after breakfast. I had no problems. The breakfast was ok, the room was reasonably clean and the showers/toilets were as clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. It saved me a lot of money compared to other hotels to stay in a dorm and it was easy, but I'm a heavy sleeper.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank D3n50n
milano
Reviewed 19 June 2008

It was really a bad experience. I booked there then two days before going there I phone them to speak about check in and they told me that unfortunately they did not record my reservation, so I went in a other hotel because they told me that there was no place left, but they still took 80€ from my credit card, saying that I did not show and there was no evidence that somebody told methat there was no place left! Unbelievable!!!

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank amandamara
coventry
Reviewed 7 June 2008

This is a small hostel and the owner is extremely unpolite. We had some problems and had a little delay in our check out time, and for this reason he has been extremely rude and offensive, shouting, calling us with unrepeateble names, while we were under shock and not reacted. He diden't give us back the deposit and treated us like the wors of the animals, just unbelieveble.

• Liked — the cat
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lallel